Strategy for booking excursions

justin c

Thanks for the info. We've not done their ocean cruises yet where you have to sign up in advance for the excursions. I'm so glad we have cruisecritic to get answers so quickly!

You're welcome and I have not done the River yet. I think you should enjoy yourself. Where to? I've done Viking Homelands and Mediterranean Odyssey. Can highly recommend both. Also I found just search the ports on Youtube gives you some insight of what to expect and while you're there, all of the Rick Steve's TV shows and many lectures about traveling and destinations.

• Like 1

just completed a "midnight sun" in a DV

we'd scanned the excursions and knew what we wanted to book

on the day the booking opened for us I went in at some reasonable east coast time - I did NOT get up early to do this - I booked everything at the same time and got our first choice time for every 'included' as well as every optional we wanted ....

summary

don't panic . . . {unless in a V ... ?}

just completed a "midnight sun" in a DV

we'd scanned the excursions and knew what we wanted to book

on the day the booking opened for us I went in at some reasonable east coast time - I did NOT get up early to do this - I booked everything at the same time and got our first choice time for every 'included' as well as every optional we wanted ....

summary

don't panic . . . {unless in a V ... ?}

Been in a V both times. With a plan B option you're covered if Viking is full and sometimes maybe even better. With the price of the V on this line, the increase in cabin price gets you nothing more than a chance to make earlier reservations but with the money you didn't spend at booking is probably more than you would spend to make these things happen. Included excursions are guaranteed, just not the time and sometimes if you want to do something else as well, things don't line up but that can happen. I've run the gambit of obstacles but in the end everything has worked out fine if your flexible and sometimes, not even that is required.

We have three Viking cruises (one completed, one imminent, and one next year), all in veranda cabins. We are grateful for the opportunity to book at those prices, and so we accept that it is a gamble in terms of the optional excursions.

On our first one, we were very successful in booking the optional ones we wanted, and satisfactory times for the included ones. On our upcoming trip, several excursions we wanted were sold out before booking even opened for our category, but the one were were most anxious to get did work out. For the one next year, we are booking an outside tour for St. Petersburg since we aren't willing to take a chance of missing out on the places we want to see there.

Being here on the east coast, I do struggle with the question of whether to get up at 3:00 AM to book excursions when first available, especially as the last group to book. I make my decisions on a case by case basis, depending on my specific wants each trip.

• Like 1

Go to My VIking Journey and add all the excursions that you want to your wish list. Then on the day that you can actually book you just move them to your cart and pay for them all at once.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you, this is a great tip.

We are travelling with friends who will be able to book their excursions before we can and I was wondering how to coordinate. Now when they book, I will put the same ones in our wish list and hopefully it will all work out fine!

• Like 1

Go to My VIking Journey and add all the excursions that you want to your wish list. Then on the day that you can actually book you just move them to your cart and pay for them all at once.

How do you move your wish list to your cart?

How do you move your wish list to your cart?

I wasn’t able to do that. I printed out the list for reference, then I went to each one in the order of how I wanted them. I didn’t pay for them all at once, because they aren’t booked until you pay for them, so I did 1 or 2 at a time.

This was last fall so it’s possible that they have made changes.

I wasn’t able to do that. I printed out the list for reference, then I went to each one in the order of how I wanted them. I didn’t pay for them all at once, because they aren’t booked until you pay for them, so I did 1 or 2 at a time.

This was last fall so it’s possible that they have made changes.

Did not work last year but it does now.

Our cruise isn't for 400 days. When will they start listing the shore excursions so we can decide which we're interested in?

Linda

This might have been mentioned already, but you can view some likely excursions (but no prices for optional) if you go to the Itinerary tab on the specific cruise page on Viking‘s website. Click on the specific port and you’ll get a preview of excursions to read while you wait for them to show up on My Viking Journey.

• Like 1

What works now? How does it work? Or is it a big secret? Do tell. Thank you.

Add your excursion choices to your Wish List in MyVikingJourney.

When your booking time opens, open MVJ. Open your Wish List and you can quickly go down the list and book them (be sure they are not sold out). I don't remember now if it says book or add to cart but it is straight forward. Once you have them in your shopping cart, then proceed to check out which requires you to enter billing and credit card information. Be sure you finish the process. Many people suggest booking and paying for optionals first, then go back and book included excursions.

• Like 1

When you have them picked out and booked, go check your Calendar to make sure all show up. Thankfully I checked and apparently one excursion was not purchased. So, I just went back to the Wishlist and made sure to finish the transaction. I happily got all on my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

getting up at 3 AM to book excursions isn't good

offer more places on popular excursions?

there must be a better way to book excursions

paying more for a cabin just for the right to book excursions/specialty dining is poor

Most lines, offer anyone booked the opportunity to book before the cruise.

A vacation should not incur stress.

• 2 months later...

This is our first Viking Cruise - so we would appreciate any help we can get.

We will be in the May, 2019 Stockholm to Bergen cruise - with 2 days in St Petersburg.  This is the country that we are most looking forward to visit.  My question - is it wise to book directly with some shore excursions (ie Alla or TJ)?  Or should we wait until Viking opens up their tour schedule?  I see some people booking tours already directly with the tour.  Also - has anyone gone through Trip Advisor to book tours?  Thanks for your input!!!

We did Bergen - Stockholm with Viking last year (our first) - we now have 4 more Viking cruises booked (starting next month). Obviously we were impressed. We did a mix of included and pay-extra optional tours. The only place we arranged a private tour was in St P through Alla Tours. It was fantastic. There were 16 in our group (4 Aussies and 12 US citizens). None of us knew each other beforehand but we were best buddies at the end of the 2 days.

There are several tour companies which are highly rated and we can only speak about Alla - but seriously they are good.

The Viking optional tour will likely have up to 40 people in the group and will likely cost much more - as best as I can remember Alla guarantees no more than 16. It makes it so much easier to move around - especially in crowded museums etc. I suggest you get in touch with Alla (they have a private message system they will set you up with) ask some questions, get a feel for what they offer and if you are happy / satisfied, go for it.

We use Tripadvisor all the time, but usually just the Forums where you can ask questions - rather than using the tour booking options. Enjoy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, goldencruises said:

We will be in the May, 2019 Stockholm to Bergen cruise - with 2 days in St Petersburg.  This is the country that we are most looking forward to visit.  My question - is it wise to book directly with some shore excursions (ie Alla or TJ)?  Or should we wait until Viking opens up their tour schedule?  I see some people booking tours already directly with the tour.  Also - has anyone gone through Trip Advisor to book tours?  Thanks for your input!!!

We usually stick with Viking excursions, using a mix of included and optional ones. For the first time, when we are in St. Petersburg on Russia and the Baltic Sea next spring, we are using a private tour company. We chose Alla based on their reviews here on Cruise Critic, and they have been great to work with for this three day tour. We do not pay for the tour until the first day of the excursion, and there is no penalty for cancelling the reservation if done by their deadline ( which I can't recall right now). So you could always make a reservation with Alla, and see what you are able to book with Viking if you would rather use Viking's. I was afraid we would not be able to book everything we wanted through Viking, now I am only afraid we will be exhausted by everything Alla is planning for our tour!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, goldencruises said:

Viking tours are larger, more expensive and conflict with availability.

Book with TJ.

You can cancel.  you'll see everything and be there before the crowds.

Pay by credit card after the 2 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, goldencruises said:

There is also SPB-Tours which you could check out.  We used them 3 years ago on a Princess cruise.  Many people on our cruise used them also and were very satisfied.   I don't remember having TJ as an option but remember people who used Alla were also happy. I think SPB and Alla were pretty comparable, as far as size of group, price, etc.   On our Princess cruise PSB was certainly a better price than excursion offered by Princess.   I assume you realize you must go with a tour if your don't want to have to acquire a visa.  On a tour this is taken care of for you.  SPB also has tours in other ports and will offer a package if you schedule more than one port with them.  We did this and got a break in price and if I remember right we just had to pay them once at the last port.  

• Like 1

When in St Petersburg, suggest using one of the local tour companies, which provide smaller tour group than you will experience on a ship's tour.

I researched 4 of the top companies and their 2-day tours were virtually identical in content and price. We opted for Alla, as one of the blogs I follow did a post on an Alla Tour, which received excellent reviews. In reality, all companies listed here have excellent tours.

By taking an Alla Tour in St Petersburg, you receive discounts on tours in other Baltic ports. Can't remember of the other companies have similar deals.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pushka said:

We used SPB tours last year. Small group of maybe 10 with fast access everywhere. Did a trip on the Subway. Plus all the usuals. They organise the visa. 

I meant to mention the subway visit in my post.  SPB does do this. Don't know about the others.  The SP stations are known for their art and it was really special to see 2 stations with a short ride.  You should google the stations and see some of the pictures.