Strategy for booking excursions

justin c

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

When in St Petersburg, suggest using one of the local tour companies, which provide smaller tour group than you will experience on a ship's tour.

I researched 4 of the top companies and their 2-day tours were virtually identical in content and price. We opted for Alla, as one of the blogs I follow did a post on an Alla Tour, which received excellent reviews. In reality, all companies listed here have excellent tours.

By taking an Alla Tour in St Petersburg, you receive discounts on tours in other Baltic ports. Can't remember of the other companies have similar deals.

But be aware that in the other ports the trips don't make,(meaning they need a certain count) they will cancel

1 hour ago, Ready to Sail! said:

I meant to mention the subway visit in my post.  SPB does do this. Don't know about the others.  The SP stations are known for their art and it was really special to see 2 stations with a short ride.  You should google the stations and see some of the pictures.  

For anyone interested in private SPB tours, I have attached the Excel summary I created. Please note it is effective summer 2017 and information was collected on the respective company websites from their tour descriptions. Thought I had included 4 companies, but actually only have 3.

Totally agree with the comment on the subway ride. The artwork in the stations was amazing, as was the depth of the stations.

Cruise tour comparisons.xlsx

Speaking of subways:  If you can, while you're in Stockholm, take a ride on the subway.  It's been called the world's largest art gallery as each station seems to have a them and the artwork is unbelievable.  Completely different than the regal subways of SP but certainly an artists reflection of the feel of the country.  You can also Google this.

Does anyone know if you can reserve a table for 4 when your time slot opens for restaurant reservations? We are traveling with another couple. Could we reserve in one restaurant for 4 and have the other couple reserve for 4 in another restaurant? Thank you for any help.

8 hours ago, SeesAtSea said:

Does anyone know if you can reserve a table for 4 when your time slot opens for restaurant reservations? We are traveling with another couple. Could we reserve in one restaurant for 4 and have the other couple reserve for 4 in another restaurant? Thank you for any help.

You just need their cabin # and you're good to go

• 2 weeks later...
On August 14, 2018 at 9:58 PM, lackcreativity said:

We have three Viking cruises (one completed, one imminent, and one next year), all in veranda cabins. We are grateful for the opportunity to book at those prices, and so we accept that it is a gamble in terms of the optional excursions.

On our first one, we were very successful in booking the optional ones we wanted, and satisfactory times for the included ones. On our upcoming trip, several excursions we wanted were sold out before booking even opened for our category, but the one were were most anxious to get did work out. For the one next year, we are booking an outside tour for St. Petersburg since we aren't willing to take a chance of missing out on the places we want to see there.

Being here on the east coast, I do struggle with the question of whether to get up at 3:00 AM to book excursions when first available, especially as the last group to book. I make my decisions on a case by case basis, depending on my specific wants each trip.

"On our upcoming trip, several excursions we wanted were sold out before booking even opened for our category"....once again, as mentioned in the other thread I started...this is exactly what has me worried. Reading this thread doesn't do much to change my mind about this whole system being a bit ridiculous. I get the whole idea of Viking trying to be egalitarian in terms of what everyone is entitled to onboard, but....provide the room category perks in some other manner rather than penalizing those who are in V category when it comes to this excursion thing. 

Having to chase the clock and get on the Viking website at 3 a.m. when the shore excursions open for your room category? That's insane. Give me the preferential theatre seating and complimentary breakfast in a specialty restaurant instead before making people in these lower room categories fret over whether or not they'll get the optional excursions they want!!!  Optional excursions should be available to everyone at the same time. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

On November 27, 2018 at 10:36 AM, philw1776 said:

Posting in multiple threads, perhaps Viking is not the right cruise line for you?

I feel that those paying more should get some perks like 1st choice at excursions.  Viking is very egalitarian onboard.

Well, how will I know that until I try it? What attracted us to this cruise is the destination and itinerary moreso than what line it was going with. It's my fault for not paying attention to the part of the descriptions about how these excursions are handled. Would never have expected it. I still disagree...there must be better ways to offer perks to any one (higher) room category than in a manner which takes something away, in a sense, from a lower class. 

Definition of egalitarian includes...relating to or believing in the principle that all people deserve equal rights and opportunities. How is allowing some passengers the opportunity to book an excursion 30 days before others being egalitarian? Somehow it's just not the same as a perk for a suite guest (in another cruise line) that allows me to have breakfast in a specialty restaurant that is not available to non-suite guests. Somehow make the perks for the higher class rooms such that they offer things that are mutually exclusive, and in no way impact on those who are in lesser room categories. I guess I'm just locked in to the whole tiered benefits mentality that I've experienced in every other cruise I've done. 

It'll be interesting...I might like the way Viking does things much more once I've experienced it. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

29 minutes ago, CatGirl922 said:

What time on the West Coast do they open?  Midnight?

I have read multiple posts that says it is midnight, Pacific time.  That makes sense since Viking is in California.  We are at 120 days out today so very excited that our excursions should pop up MVJ in the next 10 days.  I have also read that it is usually 2 weeks prior to the 97 day mark for booking.   I am also wondering if we get an email from Viking or do we need to just keep checking each day?   

26 minutes ago, BruceLovesSailing said:

You’ll need to keep checking MVJ yourself. 

Be aware, if you used a TA, some communication will go through them. 

Also, if you booked Air through Viking, your flight information should be showing on MVJ soon. 

Enjoy your Viking experience. 

Yes, our flights are showing in MVJ and since we purchased Air Plus I have been able to tweek our flights twice since airline has made changes which we were not working for us.  They have been great and so happy we did do the Air Plus.  We don't usually book our air through a cruise line but this has worked very well for us so far.   I booked both cruise and air with Viking, no TA, so all communications have been direct.   

I think I high jacked CatGirl922's question.  Could someone confirm that excursion bookings do open at midnight Pacific time. 

After your excursions are booked (yes make sure each is paid for or it is NOT booked!) go back and check from time to time to make sure nothing has changed.  Here at Cruise Critic Boards someone on the cruise before ours stated her excursions had changed from what she booked.  I went to check ours and sure enough ours had changed also.  So do not assume because you've booked...you are done.  Keep checking.  

It's a crazy system...I was awake at 2 AM with the detailed print out my husband had made with all our options and time possibilities.  Even with that, I can say it was a stressful half hour trying to make sure I got everything correct.  

13 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

After your excursions are booked (yes make sure each is paid for or it is NOT booked!) go back and check from time to time to make sure nothing has changed.  Here at Cruise Critic Boards someone on the cruise before ours stated her excursions had changed from what she booked.  I went to check ours and sure enough ours had changed also.  So do not assume because you've booked...you are done.  Keep checking.  

It's a crazy system...I was awake at 2 AM with the detailed print out my husband had made with all our options and time possibilities.  Even with that, I can say it was a stressful half hour trying to make sure I got everything correct.  

Sounds like the airlines who keep changing flights after they are ticketed.  Then you have to go back in and reselect seats, if they have changed planes.   We booked Delta Comfort and twice flights have been changed and they just put us Economy seats.  

Back to the excursions, we are under 120 days and so far no excursions  posted in MVJ.   From what I have read it will be closer to 111 days. When Viking does post them for review do they usually release at midnight Pacific time also, or is there no set schedule.    This is our first Viking cruise so their system is all new to us.  

Another tip on what excursions are available...if you read what the website has as far as excursions...they may well be different than what you will see when they post them for you. We carefully studied what we wanted from the website, then were totally disappointed when we saw ones we were planning on were not offered! 

25 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Another tip on what excursions are available...if you read what the website has as far as excursions...they may well be different than what you will see when they post them for you. We carefully studied what we wanted from the website, then were totally disappointed when we saw ones we were planning on were not offered! 

Thanks for the heads up on that.  I do have choices made from what they have on the itinerary page but will be prepared to be flexible.  Am also prepared for the possibility of having to do some DIY options.

We are newbies to Viking, but have over 40 cruises on other lines logged. We are about 122 days from sailing on the Star out of Athens to Venice.  Under pre-travel checklist online, it states:

"Your cruise comes with a complimentary shore excursion in each port of call. However, we have much more to offer you so take some time to explore your options. Even if booking is not yet open, you may want to begin browsing; just use your Wish List to keep track of the ones that peak (sic, should be pique) your interest."

Yet, when I try to browse the itinerary for our cruise and click on excursions, all I get is:

"We're sorry, but there are currently no shore excursions to view. We are always adding more, so please check back regularly for the most up-to-date selection.

We're sorry, but there are currently no included or optional shore excursions to view on this day. We are always adding more, so please check back regularly for the most up-to-date selection."

Is this normal on Viking?  Do they post the excursions well enough in advance so that one can actually browse and be ready to book when the booking process opens?

BTW, there's no way I'm setting an alarm for 3:00 AM to book anything.

Wait another ~3 weeks and excursion choices will be posted.
Making a Wish List does NOT reserve an excursion.  You need to purchase excursions to actually reserve them.

Also, "purchase" your included excursions and times else you may be stuck with a time you don't like.

21 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

We are newbies to Viking, but have over 40 cruises on other lines logged. We are about 122 days from sailing on the Star out of Athens to Venice.  Under pre-travel checklist online, it states:

"Your cruise comes with a complimentary shore excursion in each port of call. However, we have much more to offer you so take some time to explore your options. Even if booking is not yet open, you may want to begin browsing; just use your Wish List to keep track of the ones that peak (sic, should be pique) your interest."

Yet, when I try to browse the itinerary for our cruise and click on excursions, all I get is:

"We're sorry, but there are currently no shore excursions to view. We are always adding more, so please check back regularly for the most up-to-date selection.

We're sorry, but there are currently no included or optional shore excursions to view on this day. We are always adding more, so please check back regularly for the most up-to-date selection."

Is this normal on Viking?  Do they post the excursions well enough in advance so that one can actually browse and be ready to book when the booking process opens?

21 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

You certainly have more experience than I do with cruising than I do but I have only done Viking so I'll speak to that.  Your included excursion is marked.   It will be offered several times in most ports.  Though there may be 5 times listed, there may be several groups leaving at the same time so you are going to get this, if it suits you and your schedule.  They are usually overview excursions.  If you've been to the port before, you might want to pass but it's your choice.  The others offered will be for fee but may appeal more to you and your interests.  They will be shown for the cruise in general on the overview of you cruise.  You can look at these to help you narrow down what looks good.  When the MVJ becomes available you can see if yours are still offered on your cruise or new ones added.  Once they appear there, you  will have time to look them over before you can actually book. That time is dependent on your cabin.  If you do the wish list, it might help you organize but it is of use in actually securing excursions.  If you saw something you were interested in that didn't make the cut with Viking this cruise, then I'd check local providers for shore excursions to see if you can find it.  This is also a good tool to see how Viking excursion pricing is by comparison.  Now you are ready to book when your window opens.  You know know how long you're in port and what you can fit in the time allowed.  Be aware that if you want to book 2 excursions through Viking, there must be an hour between tours for this to be done by the system.  If this is not the case, explain your situation once on board and they will probably work with you to see if they can make it happen.  (They did with us on the last cruise)  When you make your reservations, I would say to do the paid excursions first as there will be fewer options there and get those secured and paid for.  They are not secured in your cart.  They must be paid for.  Then make your 'included' reservations for the times that suit your schedule.  If there was something you wanted that Viking offered but didn't get, keep checking listings periodicaly to see if their schedule makes adjustments.  If so, then you can make that happen.  As for setting the alarm, that's your choice.  I didn't do it for the middle of the night but I did first thing on the morning and it worked out for us.  If you still have questions, get back to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

SargassoPirate,  Seems we are on the same cruise,  boarding the Star on April 4th.  I have read back through all the old posts on this site and have read a real range of answers as to when excursions will appear in MVJ, anywhere from 120 days.   I had a few questions for Viking last week and I did ask about this.  The answer from the agent I talked to was about 2 weeks prior to the 97 day mark.  Except for the owner's suite, 97 days is when the higher cabins can book.  So, I am calculating that we should see excursions downloaded no later than the end of next week, around the 15th.  So, my understand is that all cabins will see excursions downloaded at the same time but can only book when your category is open for selection.  The breakdown of selection dates appears to be 107, 97, 87, 77, 67 and 60 prior to embarkation. 

Like you, we have taken many cruises, though not nearly as many as you, but this is our first experience with this system.  I'm not sure how  I feel about it yet, seeing both pros and cons.  We are in DV so will be competing with the largest block of 272 cabins.  I will reserve judgement until we see how our actual booking goes.