Help! 90 year old father and a hard decision.

smileytex

I have a $2000.00 issue, my father is 90 and we are celebrating his birthday by going on a father/daughter cruise. I will be leaving my young daughter and husband at home, dad and I will have separate cabins (so this trip will be a treat for me as well). I have sailed on Carnival (once, and never again), NCL Sky, Royal Caribbean - Vision of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas. My dad went with us on NCL when he was younger and enjoyed the cruise, he is German and really liked the fact they had kippers for breakfast!

Here is the dilemma...I have two itineraries on hold for the end of November 2018, one is Liberty of the Seas (spacious balcony stateroom midship deck 10, but not able to get cabins next to each other) out of Galveston going to Honduras and Mexico, Regal Princess (got mini suite with an extended balcony for dad and a regular mini suite small balcony right next door for me and both are located midship) going out of Fort Lauderdale to their private island, St. Thomas and St. Marteen.

Dad's preferences:

Good size balcony (he will likely spend most of his days on the balcony)

Bathtub-hates showers

Calm, he wants peace and although he his hard of hearing he is sensitive to vibration from music and screaming/partying

Nice sized pool, he will swim once daily

Good food, early the 5:30 seating is what he likes, in a calm atmosphere

Warm weather

Large room

Comfortable bed

Nice and easy port

Great service

My preferences:

Decent balcony

Comfortable bed

Good excursions for me, snorkel/sport fishing (dad will not be leaving the ship)

Peace

The cons of the Galveston trip, almost fully booked, no reserved 5:30 seating, not sure how crazy deck 10 will be and also not next to dad. The cabin will have a shower, I am also not sure I am a fan of the itinerary and I know the cabins are a little run down. The positives, it's $2000.00 cheaper (when I factor in the additional cost for the Princess cabin and airfare), we can drive to the port from Dallas and I know both balconies will be a good size.

The cons of the Princess, $2000.00 additional cost for cabin and airfare, smaller balcony for me. Only two negatives (and only one affects me, but the cost is a big one). The positives, I am excited about the itinerary and the cabins look much better, also heard the food and service are better.

I know this was a long post, thank you for making it this far and I would appreciate and feedback/thoughts!:)

The Galveston cruises tend to be (of course not always!) more of a loud party boat atmosphere. I’d take the Caribbean over that any day, just based on the itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How far apart are your cabins on the Liberty of the Seas? Do you have any concern about your dad becoming disoriented or confused and getting lost? For me that would tip the balance to Princess but of course I don't know your dad.

They are about 6 cabins apart, I don't think he would, but am not sure because I usually help him anywhere he is not familiar with - it has not been tested. I know he likes the idea of me being able to pound on the balcony dividers if he does not hear the phone.

I would go with Princess - just based on your dads age and preferences

I definitely think the food is better and a calmer vibe!

My dad is also 90 and that would be my choice-

You may only get one chance to do this

This gave me s really good idea!

I know he likes the idea of me being able to pound on the balcony dividers if he does not hear the phone.

You won't need to pound on the balcony dividers - just ask your steward to open the doors. We've done that frequently.

I would go with Princess - just based on your dads age and preferences

I definitely think the food is better and a calmer vibe!

My dad is also 90 and that would be my choice-

You may only get one chance to do this

This gave me s really good idea!

Very nice and true post. This is what I'm doing with my 87yo dad, booking as many as we can together.:D

You laid it out perfectly......From reading what you posted...I don't even see why there is a question......

PRINCESS.....and I am someone who loves Royal Caribbean ships and have more cruises with RCI than Princess.

I have cruised out of both ports and the itinerary is far superior on Princess...Getting to the port is much easier with Princess..you fly and then a short taxi...not a long drive from Dallas.....Did I hear Bath Tub........and cabins together.....forget the cost it's Dad's 90th Birthday celebration ...

Make it easy and memorable on you and him....

Have a wonderful time......

Edited by land lover

Even though the balconies on the Regal are relatively small if there is only one person per cabin the balcony should be OK. With the barrier open between the cabins it should feel a little bit bigger. Itinerary is always an important consideration for us so that would be another important factor in the choice. Sometimes the extra money that we pay is well worth it. BTW, its been a couple of years, but, I remember seeing Kippers for breakfast at the buffet most mornings. Maybe they will still be served. Whatever your choice, hope you have a nice memory cruise with your dad.

I am going to go against the odds here. Have you looked at some of the smaller cruise ships and cruise lines? It will be more expensive but it will be easier for him to get around. Make it a trip to remember!

Not sure which small lines are in the Caribbean in November but I am guessing there is a few.

I probably wouldn't take a parent of that age on that large of a ship unless he was in amazing health.

I am going to go against the odds here. Have you looked at some of the smaller cruise ships and cruise lines? It will be more expensive but it will be easier for him to get around. Make it a trip to remember!

Not sure which small lines are in the Caribbean in November but I am guessing there is a few.

I probably wouldn't take a parent of that age on that large of a ship unless he was in amazing health.

Good point. I’d take him on Oceania, and get one cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First how lucky that you still have your dad and will be able to spend some time with him on a cruise. My choice would be Princess. RCI has some nice ships but not a fan of their food. What ever your decision please take out insurance. Have fun.

Of the two choices presented in the original post, Princess. As to the $2000 difference, if you are willing, you could get a smaller cabin for yourself which would eat up some of the difference. You might even consider an inside across the hall from his mini suite if that is available on the ship you've chosen. You could enjoy his balcony with him and use your cabin mostly for sleeping and changing clothes.

Just a thought. Be sure to book both cabins in the same location (with or without Club Class Dining). He could join you in the MDR, but you will not be able to join him in CC dining.

I think it is a super treat for the both of you. Enjoy the cruise together. He will be so safe on the ship.

Thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts, I think Princess might be the decision! I suggested I get another type of room and my dad would not have it, he really wants me to have the same experience and he also wants his alone time on the balcony, lol! Hope to confirm booking tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely go with Princess and I'm basing that on your, and your father's, criteria. Best of all, Princess has a German Night in the buffet. Lots of delicious (according to my German DH) sausages, stollen and more. :D

Stollen, really?

I don’t do the buffet, but I will for stollen. Last Christmas I bought 6 loaves, cut them in half and keep them in the freezer. One a month and it’s Christmas again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All I can add to this is my suggestion to take the cruise your father would love. Why? I was in your shoes. At 92 my dad wanted to cruise very much My sisters and I thought it would be wonderful to take him (wheelchair and all) on a 7 day cruise in Fla. Never got that chance.

From what you wrote the big negative for Princess seems to be cost. If it is something really difficult for you at this point go on the other cruise. Otherwise,. the Princess one sounds like it meets almost all your needs with the exception of balcony size for you.

Whichever you choose,. just enjoy.

:):):)