Did they miss the boat with the Sunrise?

A&Jfamily

First, let me say I am a big Sunshine fan...if you don't like here, this is probably not the thread for you. But in looking at the plans for the Sunrise, it seems to me that Carnival missed the boat with Sunrise...because she is NOT the Sunshine.

1)Serenity deck does not have the cool pool and layout of Sunshine (plus they put the slide entrance here???)

2)Put Seafood shack where Jiji's was

3)Didn't make a Havana bar

4)Split up Sportsquare and moved the waterworks to mid ship

5)Didn't make an ocean plaza near Alchemy...but perhaps the piano bar will be open and bubble over (in which case this could be fun)

It seems to me that they made changes, but took away things that I loved about Sunshine and/or made them worse - and then neglected to address the biggest complaint which is the small comedy club. Anyway feeling the same way?

We will still have a great cruise in May...but was really hoping for a duplicate of the Sunshine with a minor improvement for the comedy club.

I haven't been on the Sunshine or the Triumph. With that said, I'm sure there was lots of deliberation on what the ship should get, and why. I certainly agree with some of your points. I love the look of the Sunshine pool.

All in all, the Triumph was getting dogged, hard. People were still enjoying it though. $200 million was poured in to improve the ship. That was not completely expected.

I'm hopeful for the comedy club. While I never sailed on Triumph, I have sailed on Victory and all of the Conquest-class ships except Freedom. The spot they have designated for the comedy club is the old cigar bar, one of my favorite lounges on these ships even though I'm a non-smoker. It was a spacious, comfortable lounge with good music. Once they stopped the cigars, the lounge just didn't seem to have a purpose other than as a staging area for drinks in the aft dining room. When we sailed Glory in 2014, it just seemed like useless space. I don't care for the comedy club spaces on Vista or Horizon and hope this can be better.My favorite comedy club space is on the Spirit-class ships, where they use the decl forward lounge. Excellent space to watch comedy.

We've been on both the Sunshine (April of this year) and the Triumph. We prefer the Triumph as it currently is versus the newly-renovated Sunshine. Didn't like the Sunshine at all. Layout was strange, activities lacking and crew left us as wishing they weren't there. Just our opinions.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

I actually feel the opposite. I think several of the changes appear good including the 90 degree turn of Limelight and the getting rid of Ocean Plaza. Allows for better placement of the Piano Bar and an expanded Alchemy. Like you, I might have put Waterworks out back but the proposed design more closely mirrors the traditional Conquest model. Same is true of the main pool area and Serenity area. Up there, I think there will be some strategic walls to separate the slide entrance that will be accessed by a staircase outside the actual Serenity. You'll also note that on the port side there doesn't appear to be a doorway in to the kids clubs area. So my guess it that one group won't come into contact with the other.

About the only changes I would have made would have been to put the Guy’s Smokehouse where the remaining upper part of the Forward Dining Room will be, and then put both Cucina and Ji Ji’s on Deck 10.

The Havana Bar is nice, but I would have rather keep the pool.

The only change i HATE is they are going to chop up the muti story theater into that horrible liquid lounge that the sunshine/vista and other newer ships have and the removal of the aft lounge to add in more CABINS. Removing public spaces to increase cabins and passenger numbers is not good and is horrible i think. These older ships is really not designed that well to handle any additional people they want to squeeze on.

What was it that PT Barnum uses to say about pleasing people?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"You can satisfy some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot satisfy all of the people all the time." P.T. Barnum

"You can satisfy some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot satisfy all of the people all the time." P.T. Barnum

Bingo, and it appears to hot home even here with a drastically redone ship that is a vast improvement over it’s predecessor.

Having been on the Triumph and the Sunshine, I am happy with most of the changes. To me, keeping the aft pool is a good thing. On the Sunshine it was eliminated, capped, and the Waterworks built on top, leaving only the Beach pool and the small Serenity pool. Where the aft pool was became the Havana Bar, Jiji's, and Cucina. The waterworks will be constructed where the Sunshine's Serenity is located. I know that this is not a good thing to many people, but I never thought that Sunshine's Serenity was very serene, but that's my opinion. The Sunrise will receive a Serenity area much like the Conquest class ships. My hope is that the aft pool will remain adults only. Not happy that the Rome Lounge will be converted to a Liquid Lounge. Not having tables to put drinks on just puzzles me. It appears on the deck plans that the stage in the Limelight Lounge (Comedy Club) is being reconfigured to allow everyone to be able to view the stage. That's a biggie for me. Though I will miss Jiji's and the Havana Bar, I think I will like the Sunrise even more than the Sunshine. That's my take. Can't wait to sail on her. We are doing B2B Bermuda / New England & Canada cruises in September 2019 from NYC. :cool:

Actually Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute". "You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time" was from Lincoln..

Actually Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute". "You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time" was from Lincoln..

LOL, fair enough, point still valid. To go totally off track, the greatest showman is an excellent movie. Oh, and Lincoln was by far our best President....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The main thing I was suprised to see is that there's no Ocean Plaza, presumably. That said, I'm hopeful they are still able to work with the space on the deck plan to have a similar space for trivia and music.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Bingo, and it appears to hot home even here with a drastically redone ship that is a vast improvement over it’s predecessor.

Hence the reason for my post. I wanted to see other people’s take and most do not seem to agree. I don’t find that shocking, though because we cruise for different reasons than most and spend our time away from the crowds.

I LIKE the small comedy club on Sunshine - because it is intimate and makes for a better experience. I LIKE ocean plaza next to Alchemy because you could listen to music and enjoy the smaller bar; you don’t get near the service in the large Alchemy set-up as you do in a smaller one. I never set foot in a pool on board or sit out on the Lido so could care less about the aft pool and would much rather have Havana and Jiji

So thanks everyone for confirming that I am in the minority. As I said in my original post, we will have a great trip. I am glad she is getting the upgrades - just not the ones I would have chosen.

Hence the reason for my post. I wanted to see other people’s take and most do not seem to agree. I don’t find that shocking, though because we cruise for different reasons than most and spend our time away from the crowds.

I LIKE the small comedy club on Sunshine - because it is intimate and makes for a better experience. I LIKE ocean plaza next to Alchemy because you could listen to music and enjoy the smaller bar; you don’t get near the service in the large Alchemy set-up as you do in a smaller one. I never set foot in a pool on board or sit out on the Lido so could care less about the aft pool and would much rather have Havana and Jiji

So thanks everyone for confirming that I am in the minority. As I said in my original post, we will have a great trip. I am glad she is getting the upgrades - just not the ones I would have chosen.

The only thing my post confirms is that there is nothing that can please everyone. Changes they either will do or not do have many factors that influence what will happen (or not). Simply look at sister ships in a class that have changes made. If there was a way to do Havana, I am sure they would have done it. They kept another pool to sacrifice that. We have had great cruises on ships that have had much less, I am sure yours will be as well. Happy cruising.

LOL, fair enough, point still valid. To go totally off track, the greatest showman is an excellent movie. Oh, and Lincoln was by far our best President....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Except for that little thing at the theater, I'm sure Abe would be pleased to know that you'd vote for him again.

Sailed Sunshine more than I can count on my five fingers :D and Destiny once.

Even sailed on the Triumph well before she became the infamous poop cruise ship.

Liked Destiny and Triumph hated Sunshine, put a frown on my face every time I boarded her. Our group and ports of call over ruled my decisions so I went along with the crowd. I actually became fond of the ship after I had sailed her three times or more. I guess I just started realizing that she's not all that bad after all and the layout of the ship became familiar.

Even bad mouthed Triumph when she had her problems. Had a bit of fun with that :D.

I think some of my decisions and dislikes came from all the bad mouthing of ships I read here and aboard. So I guess I'm not to far from a perfectionist ;)

Todays thinking, I think Triumph will be just fine once she gets modified and refitted with her updates.. Sunrise will be different that's for sure.

She's going to take a few hits on theses boards and aboard. Some people will like her ,some wont. I think the best option would be wait till you've sailed on her then make your decisions if you actually like the changes or not.. May take a few cruises before she warms up to you. So what the hay , you're on a ship at sea ! (y)

The only change i HATE is they are going to chop up the muti story theater into that horrible liquid lounge that the sunshine/vista and other newer ships have and the removal of the aft lounge to add in more CABINS. Removing public spaces to increase cabins and passenger numbers is not good and is horrible i think. These older ships is really not designed that well to handle any additional people they want to squeeze on.

I agree about the theater! We love going to the shows but hate that theater design. standing in line for 45 minutes just to get a good seat is ridiculous. Did it on the Vista and Horizon, will not cruise on a ship again with that design.

Pat

I agree about the theater! We love going to the shows but hate that theater design. standing in line for 45 minutes just to get a good seat is ridiculous. Did it on the Vista and Horizon, will not cruise on a ship again with that design.

Pat

Agree with you 100%. I don’t understand how theaters/lounges on Fantasy class ships are so much nicer than the ones on Vista class ships. The theaters/lounges are a big reason why I still prefer Dream class ships.