Tours from Cannes

ctkathchick

We are sailing on the Norwegian Epic and arriving in Canne on the 19th of October. We have been to Nice and Monaco in the past and can't decide whether to take the train back up there or do an excursion that goes there. Does anyone have any info on whether there are any tour operators that await passengers as they get off the ship or should I not be lazy and book something on my own? Looking at the pricing I do not want to incur the pricing of private tours on our own but this trip is only my BF and me. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

You should know that when you cruise in Europe it is rare to find tour operators waiting on piers. When you go to Cannes you will tender into a small tender pier in town and there will be no tour guides or providers soliciting business. If you are lucky you might find some taxis (but we have even been to Cannes when all the taxis were off having their morning coffee break) but they are expensive, most drivers speak no English, and they are not tour guides.

If you want a tour in Cannes (or most European ports) it is wise to book in advance of your trip. You can try to join together with a few others by using the CC Roll Call Board for your specific cruise.

Another option for most of Western Europe is to simply do your pre-cruise homework and go off in the ports to do your own thing. From Cannes you could use the train to go to places like Antibes, Nice or even Monte Carlo. If you rent a car it opens up many more options such as St Paul de Vence and Eze Village. If you simply want to spend the day in Cannes you can get just about everywhere of interest by using your feet.

Hank

A useful website is tomsportguides.com. It's a DIY guide which gives train and bus info for self guided touring. The guide does Cannes and places close by like Nice, Saint Paul de Vence, Eze, Grasse and St. Raphael that can be reached from Cannes by train or bus.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose returning to places that you have already visited depends on how much you enjoyed Nice and Monaco.

I am going at the end of October on the Epic. Last time I treated it as a "lie in" day and at about 9.30 we caught the train to Antibes, returning at about 1.30 and wandered round Cannes and did a bit of shopping. I like Cannes a lot.

This time I really do want to get to Nice because I have never been. I would love to visit Monaco but I think that the stop will not be long enough for me. I will have to leave that for the time that I eventually do a land tour to the French riviera.

If you want to book something on the day there is the option of taking a ferry across to the Lerins Islands. The ticket booths are right beside where you are dropped off.

http://www.trans-cote-azur.co.uk/departing-cannes/lerins-islands-ste-marguerite-boat-croissing-excursion/

I have just looked at the website and I am now seriously wondering if we should do that instead of Nice!! We will be there on 2nd November so I think I will wait until much nearer the time to see what the weather is like. For a tender port, at this time of the year, I like to keep my plans a little "vague" because I know that there are chances of the weather blowing our plans into an extra day at sea.

Edited by ollienbertsmum

We were there last year in June off the Epic. If you have already been to Nice and Monaco, consider Antibes. We decided to go to see the Picasso museum there. Off the ship, and first thing was a leisurely walk to a sidewalk cafe for a coffee and croissant, then short stroll to train station. There is a public beach and nice marina along the way to the museum.

Cheers! Roehl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/28/2018 at 9:27 PM, AK Dreaming said:

Was just there last week and we just got off the ship and walked until we found a place to rent chairs and enjoyed the beach. It was a great day after 3 shore extensive days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I heard the beaches are very expensive there.  Did you find that the be true?  When on the beach, are there areas to get food/drinks?

We just stopped by a restaurant with their own chairs.  I think they only charged us $20 per chair for the day.  We ate lunch there and had several cocktails and it was not expensive.  We were actually surprised how inexpensive it was for the great food and service.