Grand Cayman with 6 people

LadyGal4

Please help! I'm going to Grand Cayman with my husband and 4 children. Getting a taxi is usually too expensive. I would like to visit the beach and shopping areas. How does the bus system work? Is it reliable? Is it hard to get tickets to ride the bus?

The bus is really easy. Google Caribya bus in Grand Cayman for more info. We always try to do the bus on any island we visit. It's usually much cheaper than a taxi, but requires a bit of research beforehand.

The information on the Caribya site is a tad misleading and pretty much echos what is said on other forums, which is not reality, unfortunately.

While the buses up along Seven Mile Beach to West Bay do run very frequently and are very easy, the bus service along the south shore and around to the North Side are spotty at the best of times and not to be relied upon if you need to get back to the port by a certain time.

My advice would be to use it freely to go to and from Seven Mile Beach, or to the Turtle Centre or Macabuca (i.e. North_, but not the other direction along the south shore or to the North Shore.

Taxis are not necessarily that expensive depending on where you are going. They are shared small vans and charge per person and can easily fit 6-9 people. A taxi will take you right to your destination, not sure the bus would do that. With all the road construction that was going on when I was there in March I was glad for the taxi.