Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Hi Bill, ...it's about 95F in the shade here and plenty humid. Like a cool spring day for you!

No... you're (currently) hotter than Vietnam. ;p Here in Vung Tau, it's 5:55 a.m. and 77F with a forecast high of 84F this afternoon - perfect! It very rarely goes above 95F because of the moderating effect of the ocean.

Yum, thinking about choucroute now. Had some in Brussels that was particularly nice. With Gewurztraminer, of course!

Spins, good news about the trimmed layover. I guess I fit into Jeff's American stereotype because I was going to recommend the Grande Bretagne. Have stayed there a few times and always enjoy it. Only problem is that it's right on Syntagma Square, and across from Parliament. So if there is a demonstration, it's right there in your face. Enjoyed the suite/sweet pictures that Jeff posted of the Intercontinental. I have driven by there a few times and I am not as excited by the location, so Grande Bretagne so far always wins for me.

Archipelago, thanks for asking but unfortunately Jeff is right. We have been forbidden from discussing anything related to Silversea on this forum. Luckily the punishment isn't quite as severe as he said... So if you post your question in a different thread we will happily answer.

Davey, also looking forward to pics of those fries. We were home later than usual and had errands to run so a quick burger and fries for dinner tonight. Yummy but not fancy.

Bill, glad to hear that you have ocean breezes to keep it pleasant. I don't know much at all about your part of the world - but glad to learn!

Bill, glad to hear that you have ocean breezes to keep it pleasant. I don't know much at all about your part of the world - but glad to learn!

There are only two seasons here:

- hot and dry

- hot and wet.

It's currently 'the wet'. While it rarely goes above 95F, 95 is not at all unusual (in either season).

EDIT: P.S. My apartment does not have heating. It does, however, have two air conditioners.

Bill...I could cope nicely in that climate! I yearn to leave the icy fingers of winter behind!

Being Canadian, I understand. ;) I'll never forget the first time I could go out in the rain without 'bundling up'... it just seemed so WEIRD!

P.S. I have not worn shoes (only flip flops/sandals) or socks since I moved here from China.

Greetings Coolers!

It sounds like you have found your own piece of paradise Bill! Continue to enjoy it!

Today's funny...this is how we roll...or row.....

38500801_1814793801900976_3056980931848962048_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=68c7dc557f8a4b380c1293d11b31067a&oe=5C024262

Have a great day all!

next, bit of advice seeking any ideas for a good hotel in Athens.

Hi Spins,

Last time I was in Athens (2014), I stayed at the Hera Hotel:

https://www.herahotel.gr

It's a very friendly, reasonably upscale, boutique hotel centrally located with a useful rooftop bar and restaurant with good views of the Acropolis.

Not as posh as other recommendations maybe, but very satisfactory and probably less expensive.

Looking forward to Sept!

B

Ha Ha Ha J! When I said "this is how we roll" I did not mean "Rolls". :) We have one car and it is a Saturn Ion (2007). Myster was a fan of the polymer side panels. It works for us and allows us to spend our money are more entertaining life options.

That meal looks delish J!

An interesting article from the 1843 magazine on Lough Foyle.

https://www.1843magazine.com/travel/uncharted-waters

"Look at a map of Ireland and the large triangle of Lough Foyle seems to deserve attention. It is a sandy bay with steep hills on both sides. Fishing villages hug the shore and it often teems with birds. On still summer days the water is like a mirror, but storms roll across Lough Foyle too. Some people like to blame Manannan mac Lir for these storms, a Celtic sea-god associated with the lough. Such gods can feel real when waves crash through the narrow opening from the Atlantic.

Lough Foyle is also the final stretch of an international border. One shore is Northern Ireland and the other the Republic of Ireland. That border was drawn in 1922, leaving Northern Ireland part of the United Kingdom when the rest of the island became independent. For decades the line between them bristled with military watchtowers and customs facilities. I grew up near there and remember them well. Then, in the 1990s, two things happened: a peace accord brought stability, and the European single market was created, and included both countries. All border infrastructure became redundant and was dismantled. The demarcation became invisible. For 20 years now people have been crossing the line unhindered, to shop, work or see friends.

Britain’s impending exit from the European Union threatens this delicate arrangement. Britain leaving the EU or, more specifically, leaving the customs union will make the border a trade barrier and so require controls. It is hard to imagine how this will work with the land border – it has more than 200 crossing points – but at least we know where the line is drawn. The border at Lough Foyle isn’t even charted, a deliberate oversight to avoid an argument that would have run and run. Officially, Britain claims the whole body of water up to the high-tide mark and, officially, the Irish government rejects this claim. In reality a cross-border agency manages the lough and neither side attempts to assert ownership. Demarcation ends where the lough begins, with 15 miles still to go until the open ocean. With both sides in the single market and customs union this has been manageable, but if the full force of EU trade legislation is enacted on the lough then that helpful ambiguity may not survive. The exact co-ordinates of the border in Lough Foyle would have to be decided, reawakening an old conflict we thought we had escaped. Landscape and history meet in this bay and are pushing us towards an uncertain future."

Thanks all for the recommendations.

After hours of pouring over hotel websites, I finally ended up with an airbnb place. Its not in the plaka area or in downtown near the huge gardens and park, but is an amazing place. It does have the inspiring views and a large terrace. Some of the best experiences I have had on trips were staying in a local apartment and cooking food that I purchased locally. I am fine without room service!

I am happy with it.

Saying that, I have had a bad, really bad airbnb experience, and an excellent one, lets hope the odds will ever be in my favor.

I am now teaching DH about the over 800 relatives and ancestors I found. Its not going that well, lets just say he will need an outline.

Jolly,

looking forward to September as well!

After hours of pouring over hotel websites, I finally ended up with an airbnb place.
Glad you found a nice spot, Spins.

Like JP below, we only stay at the Grande. The service has always been spot on, the location perfect for walking everywhere, and being the oddballs that we are, enjoy seeing the local demonstrations. In fact, during our last visit we were able to watch the roughly 5,000 demonstrators scream "Traitors, Traitors" while lawmakers were in session in parliament discussing a no-confidence motion against the government over the controversial name deal with neighboring Macedonia.

Spins, good news about the trimmed layover. I guess I fit into Jeff's American stereotype because I was going to recommend the Grande Bretagne. Have stayed there a few times and always enjoy it. Only problem is that it's right on Syntagma Square, and across from Parliament. So if there is a demonstration, it's right there in your face.

Good Morning all ...

Thanks M .... yes the Ireland issue remains on paper a complicated one but in the end there will be a pragmatic solution.

Spins - I admire your sense of adventure. Not sure of the length of your stay, and therefore the cooking potential - but Athens has a lot of decent eating places particularly if you like flatbread and grilled meats and salads and olive oil - a combination that always does me! Hope you have a lot of fun in Athens.

Thanks for good wishes.

This trip is for me to learn about my family.

I was adopted at birth.

I now know so much more about the genetic family.

Frankly, those people who brought me up and showered me with love, affection and guidance will always be my true parents. I love them eternally for so many reasons. One is that they were told I would be mentally handicapped based on my heritage. That didn't dissuade them, they still loved me and wanted me.

Now I need to know my relatives and where I came from, other than just being told I was adopted. I have uncovered such incredible information, and I want to share this and the struggles to assimilate into another country.

The stay in Athens precedes the trip to Samos, where I have connected with blood relatives. I will be in Athens four days before I venture to the island where my grandmother was born.

Yes, this is an adventure. I can't explain the emotions.

I will document it all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Today's temptation from Nigeria ....

Best regards!

This mail may be a surprise to you because you did not give me the permission to do so and neither do you know me but before I tell you about myself I want you to please forgive me for sending this mail without your permission. I am writing this letter in confidence believing that if it is the will of God for you to help me and my family, God almighty will bless and reward you abundantly. I need an honest and trust worthy person like you to entrust this huge transfer project unto.

My name is Mr. Alex Kwaku, The Branch Manager of a Financial Institution. I got your contact through a reliable source called database through Ghana chamber of commerce. I am a Ghanaian married with 3 kids. I am writing to solicit your assistance in the transfer of US$10,500,000.00. This fund is the excess of what my branch in which I am the manager made as profit last year (i.e. 2017 financial year). I have already submitted an annual report for that year to my head office in Accra-Ghana as I have watched with keen interest as they will never know of this excess. I have since, placed this amount of US$10,500,000.00 Dollars on an Escrow Coded account without a beneficiary (Anonymous) to avoid trace.

As an officer of the bank, I cannot be directly connected to this money thus I am impelled to request for your assistance to receive this money into your bank account on my behalf. I agree that 40% of this money will be for you as a foreign partner, in respect to the provision of a foreign account, and 60% would be for me. I do need to stress that there are practically no risk involved in this. It's going to be a bank-to-bank online transfer. All I need from you is to stand as the original depositor of this fund so that the fund can be transferred to your account.

If you accept this offer, I will appreciate your timely response to me. This is why and only reason why I contacted you, I am willing to go into partnership investment with you owing to your wealth of experience, So please if you are interested to assist on this venture kindly contact me back for a brief discussion on how to proceed.

Please my dear friend reply me on my private email address: xxxxx@xxxxx for more details.

Best regards,

Mr. Alex Kwaku

Greetings Coolers!

J...the riches just keep coming! :)

Today's funny....yesterday was International Cat Day...for the cat lovers....

38736423_1821251394588550_1960722110439489536_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=8b6783d49aa656313e66a45ea79c688c&oe=5C06A8BE

and equal time for dog lovers.....

38689596_1820684161311940_5426685930045964288_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=149fdda6cdea0ca73a8b0bbee47e1350&oe=5C0483E4

Have a great day all!