Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

14 hours ago, MHF said:

Hello Terry and other sports fans, Big 10 channel is having "school days" where they re-run thrilling games from days gone by for 1 school per day.  PSU was a few weeks ago and football players from the 1987 National Championship game were on FaceBook/Zoom providing commentary.  Quite fun to listen to their comments.   Heard on the local news today that 9 U of Maryland football players tested positive for Covid so they've shut down practice.  Sigh.  I suspect fall sports and maybe baseball are a no go.  Missy

Appreciate this nice tip and follow-up about Penn State.  Great school and history with their football program.  In my view, Coach Joe Paterno was not treated very well at the end of his excellent career.  What Jerry Sandusky did was terrible and totally criminal.  BUT, I am not sure that Coach Joe, at his age and of his generation, exactly understood what was going on during that time.  Very sad situation for all involved.  Glad that PSU has recovered and gotten back on track for its success. 

Agree that things are looking more and more uphill in being able to have college football this fall.  We'll know more by later this month.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 230,617 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

College football for this fall is looking more and more in question.  From ESPN's website this morning, they had this headline: “A spring 2021 college football season? What a coronavirus-impacted schedule might look like” with these highlights: “What if college football can't be played this fall? Is spring football really a possibility?  Can you imagine Alabama and Tennessee playing on the Third Saturday in March, instead of the Third Saturday in October?  The Rose Bowl kicking off on Memorial Day, instead of New Year's Day?”

Full story at:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29456649/a-spring-2021-college-football-season-coronavirus-impacted-schedule-look-like

1624365738_ScreenShot2020-07-14at8_46_29AM.thumb.png.a27bd506bf0e4229dc99cab8166e44e2.png

1965392166_ScreenShot2020-07-14at8_47_52AM.thumb.png.e99b5a53f209465eddbb7ec01be0e85b.png

Dinner tonight. Looking for something with very little effort required. 

Made a simple bake with potatoes and sausage. Added a few leftover mushrooms and some onions. Chopped it all up and threw it in the oven to roast. 

Tossed with freah greens and lemon juice, then added some parsley and basil from the garden at the end for extra flavor. 

20200714_190941.thumb.jpg.2a8a2d9d47292e1b6d66d35df1c5b162.jpg

It was the perfect summer one-dish meal. And it went well with a sparkling rosé. Love this inexpensive Crémant d'Alsace. Too bad the bottle is empty.

20200714_194529.thumb.jpg.d5298758b25f183ebc9d6c50458fb0b4.jpg

Has anyone managed to see the comet? We need to find a dark spot this weekend and try to see it. Haven't seen a comet since Haley's Comet in 1986, and that was not very impressive in the Northern Hemisphere. 

• Like 2

Good morning..........Terry, welcome to my summers.............

I am thinking about getting 2 new items--- a new tv and a new bed.  I know there are many choices in both 

categories..........doing some research online before I spend any $$$$$.  There is a Best Buy right

near me so I probably need to go look at tv's in person🙂

26 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning..........Terry, welcome to my summers............. I am thinking about getting 2 new items--- a new tv and a new bed.  I know there are many choices in both categories..........doing some research online before I spend any $$$$$.  There is a Best Buy right near me so I probably need to go look at tv's in person🙂

Yes, in Ohio, we are getting that warm summer weather.  On our screened porch now with the overhead fan running.  Very nice and pleasant now as I listen to the birds, etc.  But, in an hour or two, it will be too warm.  

For buying a new TV, Lois, has it been some time since you bought one?  If so, consider your "Smart TV" options as more and more content moves to "STREAMING".  The great news is that today's TV screens are so much lighter and easier to handle, etc.  Good luck!!  Many options and it can get confusing to decide what you really need and will use. 

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Yes, in Ohio, we are getting that warm summer weather.  On our screened porch now with the overhead fan running.  Very nice and pleasant now as I listen to the birds, etc.  But, in an hour or two, it will be too warm.  

For buying a new TV, Lois, has it been some time since you bought one?  If so, consider your "Smart TV" options as more and more content moves to "STREAMING".  The great news is that today's TV screens are so much lighter and easier to handle, etc.  Good luck!!  Many options and it can get confusing to decide what you really need and will use. 

Hi Terry,🙂 I have a 42 inch SONY that goes back to 2011.  I know TV's have changed 10 fold since that time.  Mine

really does everything I need it to do.......(it is not a smart tv) but I have never really cared about that..........

Will see what happens. 

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

zqtchas, we’re loving your flower pics!  Out here, they are called an "elk buffet", so we really enjoy seeing what others are able to grow that we can’t.

This guy, his brother and sisters eat all my hostas.

deer.jpg

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry,🙂 I have a 42 inch SONY that goes back to 2011.  I know TV's have changed 10 fold since that time.  Mine really does everything I need it to do.......(it is not a smart tv) but I have never really cared about that.......... Will see what happens. 

Be careful, Lois, making assumptions that the "Smart TV" functions will not be of any future interest or use.  Don't know if you have cable and how your firm sets up its feeds within your home. Be sure to ask your expert at Best Buy for the pro/con factors before you lock into a less tech-savvy set that might be out-dated in a few years.  Good luck in researching and shopping!!

Hi Terry,  I actually stopped at Best Buy today and spoke with a really nice guy.  I have cable and all new tv sets are now "SMART" (well, the larger ones).

They may be smarter than some human beings........😲.   I have a SONY now and really like it. It is my 

3rd SONY and was looking at that brand and Samsung.   Have to think about it. 

10 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry,  I actually stopped at Best Buy today and spoke with a really nice guy.  I have cable and all new tv sets are now "SMART" (well, the larger ones).

They may be smarter than some human beings........😲.   I have a SONY now and really like it. It is my 

I Always used to have Sony but switched to Samsung a few years ago now. The quality is excellent and like Terry says, it’s much better to get a smart tv that’s more futureproof. Happy shopping Lois.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Always used to have Sony but switched to Samsung a few years ago now. The quality is excellent and like Terry says, it’s much better to get a smart tv that’s more futureproof. Happy shopping Lois.

37 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Got a Samsung 65" plasma TV 9 years ago and love it. It's smart, but not yet smarter than me... It even has 3D capability but we almost never use that.

I can't get all the latest apps but it does connect to the internet for streaming on most platforms. Netflix, Pandora, et al work just fine on it. It is not compatible with Disney+ so I have to run that on the computer to play it on TV. A newer Samsung model would be compatible. 

Before that we had a Sony plasma which was also pretty nice. Still have it, and used it as a secondary TV in the exercise room, until that got moved back upstairs.

Good luck hunting! Go with the latest. Anything a year old is already hopelessly out of date... 🤣  Hm. Maybe with all the $$ we are saving by not cruising, we can get a new one too!

Edited by jpalbny