Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Boone's Farm,  Blue Nun,  remembering the wines from the old, old days LOL,.........

Riuniti on Ice,  Lancer's........any one remember those too?

• Like 1

Let's see, Mateus Rose (from Portugal, in those squatty little bottles - I think you were legally required to put a candle in them when empty.  My dad insisted we buy something called Paisano (a cheap red) when my mom made spaghetti with red sauce.  Gallons of Red Mountain were a hit with my impoverished but thirsty friends - we'd add a few hits of acid to improve the bouquet.  In California, we had an old Swedish neighbor who made wine (bought local juice grapes, I suspect).  It was nasty - plus the bottles occasionally would explode, so we kept them in the garage.  He'd give us gallons of the stuff.  We discovered it worked well to kill the weeds between the cracks of the sidewalk....  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Riuniti on Ice

Riunite on Ice, so nice....:)

My early cheap wine college days were in upstate NY; anyone try Widmer’s Lake Niagara? I kind of liked it back then, but only because it tasted a lot more like grapes than wine.  

It was a few significant steps up from Night Train Express:

The night train runs only one route: sober to stupid with no roundtrip tickets available, and a strong likelihood of a train wreck along the way. 

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Let's see, Mateus Rose (from Portugal, in those squatty little bottles - I think you were legally required to put a candle in them when empty.  My dad insisted we buy something called Paisano (a cheap red) when my mom made spaghetti with red sauce.  Gallons of Red Mountain were a hit with my impoverished but thirsty friends - we'd add a few hits of acid to improve the bouquet.  In California, we had an old Swedish neighbor who made wine (bought local juice grapes, I suspect).  It was nasty - plus the bottles occasionally would explode, so we kept them in the garage.  He'd give us gallons of the stuff.  We discovered it worked well to kill the weeds between the cracks of the sidewalk....  

OMG.....I remember Mateus!.......we are all ageing ourselves.

• Haha 1

Who else made their own wine following the Whole Earth Catalog recipe?  [Welch's frozen grape juice, baker's yeast, sugar and water – mix in an empty jug wine bottle, put a balloon on the opening and store in a cool, dark place; the balloon will inflate; when the balloon deflates:  you have Manischewitz!]

• Haha 1

Jazzbeau, 

Ah, yes, the Whole Earth Catalogue.  This was, in the most literal sense, the precursor to the Interweb.  Subtitled "Access to Tools".  Anyone could, and I certainly did, access all manner of tools and information and books and such from it.  Stewart Brand was a visionary.  We now take for granted the access we have to everything in the world, but the WEC (in its' multiple editions) was the expression of the desire to access information that predated the internet.  I, my wife, many of my friends, came to Oregon to essentially become farmers and live in intentional communities.  (We were rejecting commercial society, the Viet Nam war, and, in the quote from the movie The Wild One "What are you rebelling against?  Answer: "Whatta ya got?".  The WEC not only let us know that we had thousands of compatriots doing the same thing, but gave us information to access how to do it:  keep bees, have a successful garden, build a hand-made house, generate your own electricity, knit a sweater, bake a loaf of bread, and on and on.  

• Like 2

The lyrics of an obscure song by the Byrds comes to mind:

From the chorus of Chestnut Mare (you can hear it on YouTube btw)

"I'm gonna catch that horse if I can,

And when I do I'll give her my plan. 

And we'll be friends for life, 

She'll be just like a wife.

I'm gonna catch that horse, if I can."  

So, Bob's got an extra horse, maybe he doesn't need to find his wife??  (He never listened, anyway!) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Worked hard today on ideas for a four course northeast Italian menu for JP’s big basement wine and dance party.  😉  And tonight, enjoyed the fruits of the labor.

ASPARAGI BIANCHI
white asparagus · montasio cheese · smoked ricotta · mustard green

image.thumb.jpeg.fe9787e468c8ba9556370bbb1cdc603f.jpeg

GAMBERI E POLENTA
prawn · polenta · fennel · meyer lemon

image.thumb.jpeg.a6a7ab7ce87804547c3328ef6c1ebd93.jpeg

FETTUCINE
english pea · asparagus · green garlic · aleppo pepper · burrata

5F4A7347-E2EA-4168-9E27-AE05413C36A1.thumb.jpeg.77cb4edddebd7f4ed9afb1b5c226e3b5.jpeg

GNUDI
ricotta · nettle · morel mushroom

26BB1CE9-0A27-40C8-8983-88BFB87B5F6D.thumb.jpeg.aa65770c8c85c0dd2431ef31c63f89c9.jpeg

CERNIA
grouper · spring vegetables · fregola · clam & parsley sauce

951BAC58-1B01-4339-835A-895AF8C43D30.thumb.jpeg.f2dd59883f3c9148c52ed585eb708918.jpeg

ANATRA
liberty duck breast · foie toast · red & yellow endive · raspberry jus

C30D31F5-3405-4577-8E2A-68DA2F1E65CC.thumb.jpeg.b1c9772dd1b26f42a369ca63a6ee91eb.jpeg

OLIO D’OLIVA
huckleberry · olive oil crumble · gelato · lemon verbena

F109C774-7A1F-4895-B7EF-431C2F575B2D.thumb.jpeg.f4fda97c525b5eefe1df91a196b93eeb.jpeg

CROSTATA DI YUZU
meyer lemon curd · basil & anise sorbet · yuzu foam

861BF344-2A14-42BD-BF8A-823BDFC90383.thumb.jpeg.9f5379769c531bff7427ee4e3305ac41.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Mysty, I think I would have just laid down by the first stair.

Stumble, I don't think I would have made it as far as the stair.  A face plant would have been more likely!  🤣

• Haha 1

As some of you may know, the Venetian Society has been doing webinars on various topics over the course of the COVID nightmare.  Today Adam Sachs was talking about the S.A.L.T. program being introduced on the MOON.  His guests were two gentlemen from Pasta Mancini.  Really informative presentation on the pasta factory approach this company is taking.  They use only the durum wheat that they grow unlike other pasta factories that buy their wheat from around the world.  It is available for sale in the U.S..   

https://www.pastamancini.com/en/