Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

11 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Hope you got the nap...

Good morning Que, I never did nap yesterday but I went to bed early and had a very good night's sleep so I feel much better today.

• Like 1

Asking for a friend (haha & gulp)

So just suppose your wife's close friends (since kindergarten, believe it or not or "BEorN") have asked your wife to cruise with them on an unnamed early 2023 oasis kind of cruise ship.  Fine, been done 2 or 3x before, but this time for some reason they want the husbands to come.  And further suppose that this afternoon one of said husbands, desperate for a cruise, got caught up in the moment & booked a cabin. Or was it a junior suite I think...  First husband to break...

Anyway, a visit to the forum of this cruise line was simply disorienting, was hoping Mysty or any of you might be there but, no.

My background is 2 cruises total, both with Silversea & never intended to sail with another.  But said wife's friend did not consider my preferences.

So - any tips?  ie Buy the prepaid tips (tipping? is there a crew fund?), schedule dinner (WTH?), buy the drinks package (WTH squared)?  Eat at a scheduled time for the duration of the cruise (how would that work!)

Should I take this question to somewhere else?

PS wife agreed time to book our next Silversea cruise in addition to this cruise, ok it was a precondition, but happy to see the 2023 schedule!!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Asking for a friend (haha & gulp)

So just suppose your wife's close friends (since kindergarten, believe it or not or "BEorN") have asked your wife to cruise with them on an unnamed early 2023 oasis kind of cruise ship.  Fine, been done 2 or 3x before, but this time for some reason they want the husbands to come.  And further suppose that this afternoon one of said husbands, desperate for a cruise, got caught up in the moment & booked a cabin. Or was it a junior suite I think...  First husband to break...

Anyway, a visit to the forum of this cruise line was simply disorienting, was hoping Mysty or any of you might be there but, no.

My background is 2 cruises total, both with Silversea & never intended to sail with another.  But said wife's friend did not consider my preferences.

So - any tips?  ie Buy the prepaid tips (tipping? is there a crew fund?), schedule dinner (WTH?), buy the drinks package (WTH squared)?  Eat at a scheduled time for the duration of the cruise (how would that work!)

Should I take this question to somewhere else?

PS wife agreed time to book our next Silversea cruise in addition to this cruise, ok it was a precondition, but happy to see the 2023 schedule!!

OMG Que!  That is a fine pickle you have found yourself in (innocent bystander though you are).  If this cruise is required in order to do the cruise line you prefer you may need to hold your nose and go for it!  And if it would make your wife happy that is a good thing.  Not sure which cruise line is involved here.   Has the "broken " husband cruised the proposed line before?  Could he provide input?  Really sorry that I can't help you Que!  As long as the cruise is not extremely lengthy or expensive you may actually enjoy it.  🥰

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mysty said:

Has the "broken " husband cruised the proposed line before? 

Well, that's me 😐 & it is a pickle!  As far as I know, I'm the first husband to go for it on this more inclusive cruise.  I've met these guys once or twice, but honestly I feel like I know JP Stumbles Zqtchas jazzbeau that guy from Philly & others better than I know any of them.  & possibly I've broken some unspoken agreement amongst us (husbands of these long acquainted women) I didn't know we had.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Well, that's me 😐 & it is a pickle!  As far as I know, I'm the first husband to go for it on this more inclusive cruise.  I've met these guys once or twice, but honestly I feel like I know JP Stumbles Zqtchas jazzbeau that guy from Philly & others better than I know any of them.  & possibly I've broken some unspoken agreement amongst us (husbands of these long acquainted women) I didn't know we had.

Not to worry Que!  Early days.   See how things play out.   The whole thing may not materialize.   If you made your wife happy be pleased with that!  And you're not making a long time commitment with this cruise!  And you may actually enjoy it! 😁

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

OK with that & I like all the choices

Just wish I knew what to do

This trip is a long way away I know

And I will not know what to do

And maybe you don't need to know what to do right now Que!  Sit with it for a bit.   Consider pros and cons and just let the idea perk.   You made a snap decision and that may be the source of your angst.   Snap decisions are not necessarily bad decisions.   If you're not used to making them it can be unsettling.   So take a pause.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mysty said:

You made a snap decision and that may be the source of your angst. 

You called that correctly.  And I appreciate the advice, even if I am feeling a bit like a shack of sit.

11 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

You know that pickles can be dill or sour or semi sour or sweet or spicy.

Posting comments about another cruise line here would not be appropriate.  However, I will report here which type of pickle my future trip most resembles,

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

You called that correctly.  And I appreciate the advice, even if I am feeling a bit like a shack of sit.

Posting comments about another cruise line here would not be appropriate.  However, I will report here which type of pickle my future trip most resembles,

Hi Que, if I may chime in, I don't think there is anything wrong with asking questions about other cruise lines......or giving advice to someone who is asking about it.  (Just my opinion).

• Like 2

Mysty, I love Spoonerisms. They are so funny.

QSS, no topic is off-topic at the Cooler. We have been on other lines, but long ago before the era of the floating leviathans. It's a different experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Mysty, I love Spoonerisms. They are so funny.

QSS, no topic is off-topic at the Cooler. We have been on other lines, but long ago before the era of the floating leviathans. It's a different experience. 

Hold On a minute !!! I was hung strung & quartered way back for talking about cruise lines etc !!!! When I first joined the cooler!!! I'm still thinking it's a elete group ...

( Although all of you l would  say otherwise ...  I guess I'm not in the club  it's your rules ..

happy cruising 🚢🙏😷🍾

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

cluck, cluck!

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

Hold On a minute !!! I was hung strung & quartered way back for talking about cruise lines etc !!!! When I first joined the cooler!!! I'm still thinking it's a elete group ...

( Although all of you l would  say otherwise ...  I guess I'm not in the club  it's your rules ..

happy cruising 🚢🙏😷🍾

Lvshack, the whole purpose of the Cooler is to talk about anything at all. So nothing is off topic. It was like that for a long time and we discussed SS as well as non-SS topics freely.

However, a couple of years ago there was some very spirited discussion about a couple of SS cruises that went pear-shaped, and that progressed into a very long discussion about remediation for said experience, and whether it was satisfactory. The posters felt that SS did not provide adequate compensation and posts became quite forceful and personal. Finally, I believe someone from SS stepped in, and asked CC to stop the posters from bashing SS in a public forum.

As a result, CC admins announced that we were officially prohibited from talking about SS in this forum. There is a post from LauraS way back where, stating this.

I believe you first posted here not long after that official prohibition, and started asking questions about SS. So we merely warned you of the prohibition, so you didn't run afoul of a rule that you did not know about. The warning was made in the spirit of not wanting you to get in trouble. It was not to be unfriendly or unwelcoming. 

We are happy to welcome you, and your contributions, to the Cooler (or anyone, for that matter). 

When you're reading something here that can be taken two ways, it's generally safe to assume that the better way is the spirit in which it was intended. We all look after each other here and we'll happily look after you as well.

We don't go out of our way to bash each other... Though I like to give Stumblefoot a hard time, but that's only because we know each other in real life and I know he will return the favor!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lvshack said:

I guess I'm not in the club  it's your rules ..

happy cruising 🚢🙏😷🍾

Hi Lvshack.  While I don’t remember the exact posts you refer to back in the spring of 2020 (were they deleted?), you are certainly a member here, as are all.  And, the Cooler Rules aren’t set by the members, per se, but rather CruiseCritic. And, as you’ve witnessed, the Cooler is a little different than the other Silversea topics, hence all of the funnies, cartoons, food pics, etc.

I distinctly remember Spins, Mysty, and Lois R encouraging you to join in the fun of off topic and conversational discussion not related to Silversea cruises.  So, please do continue to participate. You bring A LOT 😉 of cruising experience to the Silversea forum!

Here’s to us all enjoying a third glass of wine with Que Sera Sera!

• Like 2

Que, I feel your problem and have been in a similar situation.  Book the best cabin you can afford, one with a very comfortable balcony and space to lounge inside.  Get the beverage package.  Do not prepay gratuities because in today's situations, lines are issuing refunds for one thing or another.  

Edited by Travel2Learn
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Asking for a friend (haha & gulp).

Buy the prepaid tips (tipping? is there a crew fund?), schedule dinner (WTH?), buy the drinks package (WTH squared)?  Eat at a scheduled time for the duration of the cruise (how would that work!)

Que, I’m still chuckling a day later at your post. I feel for you and understand your anxiety as I had a similar experience when friends wanted us to sail with them.  

My suggestion is just go with the flow.  I didn’t and wish I had, looking back now.  You are already much further along the path to reconciling your non-SS sailing anxiety compared to where I was at the time.  You know it’ll be a completely different experience.  Good for you!  You’ve booked a nice suite.  Great call! 

Sailing with friends will only deepen the kinship between you all.  It has nothing to do with a drinks package, tips, or eating at the same time everyday.  You’ll find once you get on board and over the shock at just how different everything is, you can relax and enjoy your voyage for what it is; a relaxing time together with your spouse and your friends.  I promise, you’ll have so much fun and be blessed with joy.

With that said, I’m never letting our friends pick the cruise line again. 😆 😝😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Que, I’m still chuckling a day later at your post. I feel for you and understand your anxiety as I had a similar experience when friends wanted us to sail with them.  

My suggestion is just go with the flow.  I didn’t and wish I had, looking back now.  You are already much further along the path to reconciling your non-SS sailing anxiety compared to where I was at the time.  You know it’ll be a completely different experience.  Good for you!  You’ve booked a nice suite.  Great call! 

Sailing with friends will only deepen the kinship between you all.  It has nothing to do with a drinks package, tips, or eating at the same time everyday.  You’ll find once you get on board and over the shock at just how different everything is, you can relax and enjoy your voyage for what it is; a relaxing time together with your spouse and your friends.  I promise, you’ll have so much fun and be blessed with joy.

With that said, I’m never letting our friends pick the cruise line again. 😆 😝😂

alpha 🦁

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Lvshack, the whole purpose of the Cooler is to talk about anything at all. So nothing is off topic. It was like that for a long time and we discussed SS as well as non-SS topics freely.

However, a couple of years ago there was some very spirited discussion about a couple of SS cruises that went pear-shaped, and that progressed into a very long discussion about remediation for said experience, and whether it was satisfactory. The posters felt that SS did not provide adequate compensation and posts became quite forceful and personal. Finally, I believe someone from SS stepped in, and asked CC to stop the posters from bashing SS in a public forum.

As a result, CC admins announced that we were officially prohibited from talking about SS in this forum. There is a post from LauraS way back where, stating this.

I believe you first posted here not long after that official prohibition, and started asking questions about SS. So we merely warned you of the prohibition, so you didn't run afoul of a rule that you did not know about. The warning was made in the spirit of not wanting you to get in trouble. It was not to be unfriendly or unwelcoming. 

We are happy to welcome you, and your contributions, to the Cooler (or anyone, for that matter). 

When you're reading something here that can be taken two ways, it's generally safe to assume that the better way is the spirit in which it was intended. We all look after each other here and we'll happily look after you as well.

We don't go out of our way to bash each other... Though I like to give Stumblefoot a hard time, but that's only because we know each other in real life and I know he will return the favor!

34 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Hi Lvshack.  While I don’t remember the exact posts you refer to back in the spring of 2020 (were they deleted?), you are certainly a member here, as are all.  And, the Cooler Rules aren’t set by the members, per se, but rather CruiseCritic. And, as you’ve witnessed, the Cooler is a little different than the other Silversea topics, hence all of the funnies, cartoons, food pics, etc.

I distinctly remember Spins, Mysty, and Lois R encouraging you to join in the fun of off topic and conversational discussion not related to Silversea cruises.  So, please do continue to participate. You bring A LOT 😉 of cruising experience to the Silversea forum!

Here’s to us all enjoying a third glass of wine with Que Sera Sera!

Well said Gentlemen!  🥰

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If i recall back in the day we weren’t supposed to discuss Silversea on the cooler because there was space everywhere else to post about it.

The cooler was for EVERYTHING ELSE and ANYTHING ELSE.

Hence the topics not about Silversea.

I know that the cooler was a place created by Jeff. And to continue it, Cruise Critic made some rules. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mysty said:

Well said Gentlemen!  🥰

Oh I'm so so pleased ...I thought for  a moment that I was not in cooler gang!!!!

I'm  such a little fragile person ..lol ...

All your funny threads are so so funny and it goes to prove that we all have the same sence of humour !!! ... Just looking at 2023 silversea cruisers ...oh I'm thinking of booking Oct ,2023 ...already booked April 2022 ( sorry  with crystal & Nov 2022 silver dawn Venetian special sailing ... Happy cruising 🚢🙏😷🍾🍾👔😊😊😊

• Like 3