Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, I was kidding (sort of LOL).   I trust the person who is helping me to figure it all out.   I just know I need more income than expenses LOL...…….I will have that but just not as much as working full time.  It is definitely a process.

Great that you know and understand that it is a "PROCESS".  It all takes time and patience.  Lots of twists and turns to evaluate the varied financial options and to consider the many potentials.  Glad to know about your financial advisor: "he is not a stranger, I have known him for nearly 15 years."   But, getting an independent, "second opinion" can have its value, too, in checking his assumptions and information you are being given.  With a few financial advisors, they can be also "sales folks" who could have their vision blurred by the commissions being paid from different product options they are pushing.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 30,728 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Coolers,

On this special day before Monaco Grand Prix ...  a special mention and remembrance for the father of it all for many ... the unique Niki Lauda.  He was an extraordinary man of unbelievable courage and talent and the world is a touch smaller without him.  We’ve been fortunate to have flown with him at the controls of his plane and been in his garage at Monaco when cars were a touch more basic.  He not only made racing cars safer for drivers, but his fight with Boeing made planes safer for us all.  

The piccy may be very fuzzy but our memories of him crystal clear.

RIP Niki.

141F297E-221D-4459-8626-AA8D6F9B87CF.jpeg

Guten morgen from Frankfurt! Headed home after a great trip. 

We got here last night and stayed at the airport Hilton, very nice. Took the S-bahn into town for a nice dinner at Haus Werthym, where I satisfied my Schweinshaxe craving. Cool old place!

20190526_211052.thumb.jpg.6d62ef350245e5011f98c03bd216abf0.jpg

Then a walk along the river. Pretty here.

20190526_222428.thumb.jpg.11ef6ab2be5c5d2fc7530631589aebb0.jpg

Next stop Detroit! Over and out.

20190527_102126.thumb.jpg.3ede32393e7438d0cfaa9ec5ba97a4a9.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks mysty. It was awesome!  Not quite your amazing round-the-world odyssey, but great fun.

Chris was an outstanding tour guide. I could only aspire to be half the Ukrainian that she is!

Blog to follow at some point. Lots of notes and pictures to sort through first.

• Like 2

Good morning, JP, glad you had such a good trip:classic_biggrin:...safe travels home.

Hi everyone,  Happy Memorial Day to all.....thank you to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

We have today off from work.  Not doing much, nice relaxing time.

• Like 1

YES!!  Nice pictures from J.P and safe travels back home.  Nice funny by mysty.  Today is Memorial Day, an important point of recognition in the United States.  

Last night during a moving program on PBS about Memorial Day, they started the upcoming celebration for the 75th Anniversary of the D-Day invasion on June 6.  Not many of those heroic veterans are still with us.  From visiting that site in 1995, below are three of my visuals.  That setting is so incredibly important and historic.  Never will forget that experience and why it is so remarkable to our freedom.  Any others who have visited this impressive site?

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 246,223 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial at Colleville-sur-Mer, they honor the American troops who died in Europe during World War II. There are 9,388 marble headstones at this cemetery.  Located on a bluff overlooking Omaha Beach and the English Channel, this site was a key landing location for the D-Day invasion.  More than a million visitors experience this site each year.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1360768926_01273_n_9aeu76nwm17531.jpg.e0fbadfc684cd5193f55cf62ab416e79.jpg

1371291713_01278_n_9aeu76nwm17582.jpg.632743f1e4ea8e1d5aafc144bca09f9e.jpg

64972907_01279_n_9aeu76nwm17593.jpg.5e4021de59a315e384061dc468285c3c.jpg

I can’t claim to have visited the sites ... it is on my bucket list ... but on a similar vein I am researching my family tree and ‘lost’ my grandfather. I went into the Commonwealth War Graves site and searched fo BROWN, J.

I was astounded at the number of results on just the one surname with the one initial (Well in excess of 1000) and it made me think just how many different surnames / initials would produce a similar result..... Like the row after row of simple crosses, horrendously sad.

As it happens I ‘found’ GF buried in Grace Church Cemetery, in Cranston, Rhode Island, so that is somewhere else to visit 😀

Terry, every time I think of booking a cruise to Paris, I have just never done it. All the River cruise lines do a Paris/Normandy itinerary. Maybe next year!!!

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

"tis the season....today's funny.....

61111436_2243083555738663_54188112578326

Have a great day all!

Hehe M, sounds like a close relative of the Alaskan Mosquito, Ive already been warned about them. Lets hope the Muse doesn't run out of my favourite mozzy repellant, Tanqueray. Intesting week here. OH being made redundant this Friday. Opening his own TA as soon as we're back from Alaska. Lots of groundwork done but lots more to do before we go. Only 20 sleeps now! Glad you had such a good time JP, looking forward to hearing all about it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JohnGinPBG said:

Related...from Denali, Alaska.

Super cute sign from Denali.  Plus, loved the fun Canadian Mosquito picture.  Yes, sounds like the mosquitos are big, BIG for that part of the world.  Will need to be prepared for going there in mid and late July.  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 235,488 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

7 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Terry, are you near any of the storms? You are in Ohio, right? Hope you are ok. It looks like a warzone in some areas😥

Appreciate, Lois, your interest, concern and follow-up.  Most of what has been covered nationally was in the Dayton area, about 70 miles to our west and SW.  Despite all of the bad damage and super high winds, fortunately, so far, there has only been one death reported.  

Some of "it" was much closer to us in Central Ohio, but nothing directly affecting us.  We were in our basement, protected by one-foot thick poured concrete walls, watching local news doing continuous, live reporting; seeing the warnings; tracking weather radars, etc.  Much of this was happening around us at midnight and after.  Kept power and Internet during the loud storm and warning sirens were going off.  Lots of heavy rains, etc.  All well, warm and sunny here now.  BIG, BIG clean-up happening now in those affected areas.  Some state roads still closed now.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 220,681 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Like 1

Good morning coolers:classic_smile:...…….summer is here where I live...…...mid/upper 90s and it is only June 1st.

Another horrible mass shooting yesterday afternoon in Virginia...…………:classic_angry::classic_wacko: you just have to shake your head. "A disgruntled employee"...…..sheeeeshh………….

And now for something completely different.  I stumbled on an article about Golden Eagle Luxury Trains and found the trips intriguing.  I have my eye on the Grand Alpine Express.  🙂  I thought maybe other folks would be interested.  And yes, I know, it is not a cruise.  It is more like a river cruise by rail.

https://www.goldeneagleluxurytrains.com/journeys/

• Like 1

Love your reply Stumblefoot!

I have itchy feet at present and all the train trips look wonderful to me.  

I'll have to study the website a little more.  

We went from Provence through Switzerland  to Venice by train last year, but haven’t been on a train overnight  or on a tour by train. 

We have a cruise from Broome to Cairns in September/ October this year so all sorted, but nothing planned for the 2020. 

Cruise or Golden Express?  Decisions decisions!  Can’t do both!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

You gotta love a girl who just got off a 5-month world cruise who is already shopping for a 2 or 3 week trip by rail!

Ha Ha Ha Stumble 🙂 !  This rail adventure would be for 2021.  We have 3 back-to-back-to-back cruises booked for May-June 2020.  I love planning trips so this helps with the sting of returning to reality.  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jillyf said:

Cruise or Golden Express?  Decisions decisions!  Can’t do both!

Hi Jill!  We can't do both either.  Our plan for now is to alternate.  🙂  We'll see how that goes.  We're attempting to chip away at the bucket lists (we have different ones)  Norway and Iceland for 2020 and Budapest and Vienna for 2021.

• Like 2