Question from a Latino (Mexican) who loves Royal Caribbean Cruises !!

PEPERV

Hello everyone!! I have sailed with my wife in RCI since our honeymoon in 2010 and next September 15th we will take our fourth cruise aboard FOTS, on the other hand I have always organized trips with RCI for my parents and my in-laws. In the last trip of my parents suffered from discrimination by a couple of people from the OODS staff, fortunately the people in charge took care of the problem and apologized to my parents. And on our last trip aboard VODS we also suffered racial discrimination from a group of young Americans, I decided to send an email to the shipping company as soon as we disembarked from our cruise ship through Royal Caribbean Mexico and to this day I did not receive any response ( maybe because the email was not the right way or did not send it to the right person), I know that any of you could go through the same, but what would you do? How would they solve it? we love to travel make friends know other people's traditions, I speak little English but I would love to understand if there is something in our behavior as Mexicans that angers the cruise passengers? Because it is very sad to have to deal with those little problems that really cause you a bad day, when most of the people on board are beautiful, loving and great. Throughout our cruises I met wonderful people who are now my great friends,and to others who were our adventure friends aboard the ship. I hope that your opinions on this matter give me a little more guidance so I can be better informed.

P.D Sorry If in some words I did not make myself understood, use google translator for some words

Thank you, Gracias.

Jose.

Nope, there is nothing wrong with your behavior as Mexicans that you are doing wrong. Every culture has their own little things that are different from others. Don't change a thing about yourself or how you do it. Be proud of who and what you are. The problem is the ignorance of others.

I just got off the Brilliance of the Seas in Amsterdam. There was a HUGE group from Mexico City. My Spanish is limited to ordering and beer , asking where the bathroom is, and saying thank you and please. I had a great time interacting with my new friends from Mexico City. Yes, I had to break out my Google Translate

Sorry to hear this Jose. The faults of the few are not the thoughts of the many. I like chatting with new people and making friends on cruises. Maybe I'll run into your on a cruise someday. Enjoy your cruise and don't let those others ruin for you.

Hello everyone!! I have sailed with my wife in RCI since our honeymoon in 2010 and next September 15th we will take our fourth cruise aboard FOTS, on the other hand I have always organized trips with RCI for my parents and my in-laws. In the last trip of my parents suffered from discrimination by a couple of people from the OODS staff, fortunately the people in charge took care of the problem and apologized to my parents. And on our last trip aboard VODS we also suffered racial discrimination from a group of young Americans, I decided to send an email to the shipping company as soon as we disembarked from our cruise ship through Royal Caribbean Mexico and to this day I did not receive any response ( maybe because the email was not the right way or did not send it to the right person), I know that any of you could go through the same, but what would you do? How would they solve it? we love to travel make friends know other people's traditions, I speak little English but I would love to understand if there is something in our behavior as Mexicans that angers the cruise passengers? Because it is very sad to have to deal with those little problems that really cause you a bad day, when most of the people on board are beautiful, loving and great. Throughout our cruises I met wonderful people who are now my great friends,and to others who were our adventure friends aboard the ship. I hope that your opinions on this matter give me a little more guidance so I can be better informed.

P.D Sorry If in some words I did not make myself understood, use google translator for some words

Thank you, Gracias.

Jose.

Don’t buy this post. The OP’s IP is from within the USA.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jose

you have a long and rich culture. Do not forget that. Some people are jealous, some are ignorant, some are just plain stupid. I do not speak Spanish but have spent some time in Mexico and know that you have a wonderful and dirvrse culture. Because of my background, which I won't get into, I know what it is to be bullied and talked down to. Back in my teens I determined that I was a duck. Everything slides off their back. I am a duck. I refuse to let others direct what I am or where I am going. If you have a problem with the ships staff, report it to the Hotel Director. Most of the staff is from outside the US. They won't stand for it. I have found that most of the H.D. to be great people and really concerned that their "renters" for want of another term, have a positive experience. As fr as other passengers go, forget it, they are showing their ignorance. Pretend you are a duck.

Kay

Jose

Assuming that your upcoming cruise is on the Freedom of the Seas out of San Juan, a really large percentage of cruisers will be native Spanish speakers- from Puerto Rico. And the cruise is very bi-lingual (including ALL of the announcements).

Which is to say that the odds of having someone be in your face about where you are from will be greatly reduced. Not zero, as there are horrible people everywhere.

But I think your chances of being ok are worth the trip.

We've sailed with my in-laws out of San Juan, who spoke very little English (even to me), and they had no problems communicating with any of the staff on the ship.

I am curious as to where you find this information? If IP information is truly visible to the public, this is a security flaw in the boards and the admins need to know to get this fixed.

I am not attesting to the veracity of this post and there are sometimes disagreement about these definitions but Wikipedia and other references discuss the use of the ethnonyms "Hispanic" and "Latino" to refer collectively to the inhabitants of the United States of America who are of Latin American or Spanish origin—that is, Latino or Hispanic Americans.

Nope, there is nothing wrong with your behavior as Mexicans that you are doing wrong. Every culture has their own little things that are different from others. Don't change a thing about yourself or how you do it. Be proud of who and what you are. The problem is the ignorance of others.

I just got off the Brilliance of the Seas in Amsterdam. There was a HUGE group from Mexico City. My Spanish is limited to ordering and beer , asking where the bathroom is, and saying thank you and please. I had a great time interacting with my new friends from Mexico City. Yes, I had to break out my Google Translate

Thanks for your words! I hope we meet on a cruise some day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry to hear this Jose. The faults of the few are not the thoughts of the many. I like chatting with new people and making friends on cruises. Maybe I'll run into your on a cruise someday. Enjoy your cruise and don't let those others ruin for you.

Thanks Iowa, I think I understand, sometimes I need to get this out and know the opinion of valuable people like you!!

I would let any snide remarks slide off.....it's not worth wasting your vacation mad because of STUPID people...and there are a bunch of them in this world!

You’re right!! Tanks for the advice!!

Sorry to hear about your experience. I think you may already know the answer, as to why you were discriminated against. They were young and dumb. You did nothing.

Thanks Bloodgem, at that time the only thing we had in cumin my wife and l and those guys was the pool! That’s why I found his actitud incredible!

Hello mike, what do you mean with “Don’t buy this post.The OP’s IP”? Sorry I don’t understand some words ,Tanks!

Jose

you have a long and rich culture. Do not forget that. Some people are jealous, some are ignorant, some are just plain stupid. I do not speak Spanish but have spent some time in Mexico and know that you have a wonderful and dirvrse culture. Because of my background, which I won't get into, I know what it is to be bullied and talked down to. Back in my teens I determined that I was a duck. Everything slides off their back. I am a duck. I refuse to let others direct what I am or where I am going. If you have a problem with the ships staff, report it to the Hotel Director. Most of the staff is from outside the US. They won't stand for it. I have found that most of the H.D. to be great people and really concerned that their "renters" for want of another term, have a positive experience. As fr as other passengers go, forget it, they are showing their ignorance. Pretend you are a duck.

Kay

Thanks Kay, you are really amazing, I will take a note of your advice, I wish you a happy life!!

Just exactly how you were discriminate against by others on the ship? Let's hear the real facts and no fake news.

Why does that really matter? The OP is just trying to find a way to not have that kind of interaction, not trying to blame others.

Not sure why people are questioning if he had faced racists insults, given what was actually asked.

How to avoid and how to deal with it is what I read as the question.

And if you really think it's not happening, perhaps you should test your empathy button.

Why does that really matter? The OP is just trying to find a way to not have that kind of interaction, not trying to blame others.

Not sure why people are questioning if he had faced racists insults, given what was actually asked.

How to avoid and how to deal with it is what I read as the question.

And if you really think it's not happening, perhaps you should test your empathy button.

Ever heard of spell check feature even in Mexico? The deliberate spelling mistakes are plain suspicious. But if you want to believe in every unsubstantiated discrimination post on internet at face value, have at it. I prefer to deal with real facts.

Ever heard of spell check feature even in Mexico? The deliberate spelling mistakes are plain suspicious. But if you want to believe in every unsubstantiated discrimination post on internet at face value, have at it. I prefer to deal with real facts.

But you still don't say why it's so important. Again, the claim isn't a bash against anyone (unless you think they are talking about you...) but asking if they can avoid it on a cruise next month.

Instead of worrying about that, you could just suggest that the odds of something like that happening sailing from San Juan is much reduced.

BTW, I'm not sure if a bilingual spell check would work on this board from a different country using a different language.

Details? The very diversified staff was rude to you and had to apologize?Fishy

Hi, Living4acruise2day, I will explain a little better, when my parents had been aboard the Oasis of the Seas (November 20th 7 nights western Caribbean cruise) in the second day, they decide to spend the day in the pool areas, my dad is 58 years old and my mom is 60 but they are very happy and like to be where the music is. And dad wanted to give a piña colada to mom, so he went to the pool bar and asked for it, ( he does not speak English so he take the menu and point it) after several minuetes a very friendly American gentleman who fortunately spoke Spanish took my father and asked to speak with the supervisor of the boys at the bar, it was there when my parents found out thanks to that Good Samaritan, that they were using racist words against them just for funny to some customers who were at the bar, the supervisor take out the bar guys (workers) from his area but not before apologizing to my parents.

I am curious as to where you find this information? If IP information is truly visible to the public, this is a security flaw in the boards and the admins need to know to get this fixed.

In simple terms:

- IP addresses are easily discoverable to anyone who has a basic cyber security (or even IT) foundation and an open source tool

- IP addresses (and people knowing them) are considerably low - if even on - the totem pole of “sensitive information”; at most, without other details, you can find someone’s city (sometimes! geo locations tend to be off, actually) and ISP from an IP address > The Data Protection Act doesn’t even consider them to be “sensitive information,” as many people share the same IP addresses

- IP tracing is completely legal and expected, and certainly not a security flaw

Sincerely,

A Cyber Security Professional