Do you pick an inside cabin for: price, fairy upgrade, or u like them?

kelbell

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:26 AM, kelbell said:

Hello, we will be in are first ever inside cabin, not till 1/20. Carnival Paradise. We have always had a balcony, not sure if I will last till 2020 thinking about this. Im contemplating changing to a balcony, any thoughts? I did the inside because of price and we are cruising twice before that cruise. We are on deck 7 if that makes any difference. So why do you book an inside? 🤔

We always book inside because we see no need for any windows, balconies, verandas. We watch the ocean all day if we want, no need to watch it out a window. If we want fresh air and ocean views we simply walk outside. At night windows and balconies are just as dark as inside. Prices are almost always lower and we are only in our cabin to sleep at night or to change clothes etc, during the day. 

• Like 1

Price has been a factor for us.  On my last cruise, be booked the kids in an interior and then had a balcony across the hall.  This worked out really well, because everyone got to enjoy the balcony view, like when pulling into ports or looking for dolphins.  

Balconies are so nice for the light and the sound of the water, but my next cruise I chose an inside for the price. Couldn't pass up the deal. When I called to have it assigned they said I'm on the list for upgrades so if I get one, yay! If not, totally happy spending that extra money saved in the spa!!

On 9/6/2018 at 11:18 PM, crystalspin said:

The choice I mentioned three posts up, was not really between balcony and inside,

but between partially obstructed oceanview and (large) inside.

dr'spin ruled out the balcony bc "the view on a transatlantic is always the same",

and *I* chose the inside over the obstructed oceanview.

The obstruction was the winches that control the tenders, with a tender/lifeboat to each side! I decided it was depressing to look out at that, and I was concerned over noise from the tenders swinging in any high seas.

The inside room could be quite relaxing, even hygge (we sail to Copenhagen!).

I quite enjoyed our obstructed view Ocean View cabin on Ocean Village Two

Our private lifeboat was right outside our big window! lol

* First shot below shows Carnival Destiny before we left Bridgetown Port

* other ship shown was Legend of the Seas

which sailed past us while at anchor when we stopped at Dominica, The Nature Island.

* Third shot is our lifeboat!!

At least we could see outside somewhat

but Inside Cabins don't phase me one little bit: I love the dark!
The low prices don't phase me either!

Destiny-44.jpg

Legend-29.jpg

Lifeboat-3914.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2018 at 11:26 AM, kelbell said:

Hello, we will be in are first ever inside cabin, not till 1/20. Carnival Paradise. We have always had a balcony, not sure if I will last till 2020 thinking about this. Im contemplating changing to a balcony, any thoughts? I did the inside because of price and we are cruising twice before that cruise. We are on deck 7 if that makes any difference. So why do you book an inside? 🤔

We’ve enjoyed a balcony a few times when it was a great deal. Family reunion thanksgiving cruise 9 cabins on Ncl Epic booked inside cheapest room. Called for any free upgrades and we all got balconies. Just lucky. A few years ago.

Recent transatlantic was a window on Visions 14 night and it was not a lot more money.

Next cruise is inside guarantee. But I did bid on upgrades for window or balcony or jr suite. Yet to hear back.

We are never in the room except for sleep. Rather go on more cruises. Very active.

Great innovation is the Virtual Balcony on RCL Anthem. Sight and sound around the clock or you can shut it off. I wish it was available on all ships.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost always book an inside cabin. Partially for price - partially because the only time I'm in the cabin is when I'm sleeping. If I'm awake, I'm doing something. For me there is no need to have an outside cabin/balcony/suite, because I wouldn't be there to enjoy the view anyway. 

• 1 month later...

I do like the price, but for me, the best part of an inside cabin is how dark it is. I sleep amazingly. It always takes me forever to fall asleep as it is, so with a bit of natural light coming in, it would take much longer. But the inside cabins are SO dark, it's wonderful. I fall asleep so much faster, which means I'll be well-rested and less tired the next day!

• 1 month later...

I think the main thing is..... Price... Other factors  are the length of the cruise and what you use your cabin for....

Sleeping and storage.. as people spend their days in the public areas or a shore

Others like a place to relax and escape for some quiet time.... each to his own.

If you like an inside cabin go for it       and if you like a suite go for it......

just as well everybody doesn't want the same type of cabin   and on a cruise ship you have a big choice....

The main thing is you are on a cruise ship..

Cheers Don

• 2 weeks later...

Likes and dislikes and price. I have no problem with an inside however my wife on the other hand wants to be able to see outside. If price is a factor and makes no difference to you. Nothing wrong with an inside. If you like pitch dark for sleeping. An inside is certainly the way to go. Now there are virtual balconies and OV. Doing what they can to fill up those inside and charge a little more. Great idea. They are a live view. Ceiling to floor.

On September 9, 2018 at 10:01 PM, crystalspin said:

My first three cruises were a tiny porthole, and two insides (actually the same inside, same ship, two cruises). Then two balconies we barely

used (one too hot, one too chilly). Then a guarantee of an inside, that COULD have been for a small cabin on an upper deck rather than the big Super K or Super J I would have been happy with, so we upgraded to an OV and R seemed so much happier with the window, I said never again on the inside. But still always curious about the Super K/J's so when he said no balcony on upcoming TA, I said, well then we'll try the Large J Inside! Will find out once and for all if his personality changes inside!

I am not familiar with a super k or j room.....how do I figure out what rooms are in this category?

We always book an interior due to price. We are really easy going and not picky ....and frugal...and we enjoy the darkness while sleeping.  If we get an Upsell offer that makes sense, we take it. So far, we've gotten offers and were able to experience a balcony, an ocean view and next cruise will be a 4J. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/1/2018 at 5:18 AM, crystalspin said:

I've been in insides with a third person TWICE! First time I had nothing to do with the choice; second time - same ship (HAL Statendam RIP) - so I knew how roomy those particular insides were, and of course price was a main factor.

We put my DB&SIL in an inside under a quiet area on a June Alaska cruise, over an OV with obstructed view under the kitchen. I think they were surprised to enjoy the dark and quiet! (it also happened to be slightly MORE expensive than the FO/OV, FWIW)

I'm now contemplating booking two connecting Super Ks for 5 people (a std & a triple) as a way to get us back to Alaska for a self-drive week! So, price for this one. But I've always been intrigued by those big, low square cabins.

what's a Super K cabin.   i cant find anywhere what the different cabin categories are other than  inside, ov , balcony etc.  i know there are sub categories but ?

Everytime we've sailed there has / were balcony, partial view and inside, really came down to my mood at booking.  We'd pick inside when we were in value mindset,  even when we had balcony or suite in hindsight never thought they were worth the extra bucks, food-same, entertainment-same, time in cabin-same, why we paid more, we often wondered, LOL

On 5/7/2019 at 8:43 PM, Clarasgrandma said:

I am not familiar with a super k or j room.....how do I figure out what rooms are in this category?

Grandma and @betty-beer

Sorry I never saw your questions! Super K (like the cereal!) and J's are insides on the main deck of Holland America ships, at least Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Zuiderdam, and Nieuw Amsterdam (but not Koningsdam). I believe they are now sold as Large Insides for a bit more than the upper deck ones, because they were selling out faster, naturally! They are big and square with much open space. Here is what they look like:

1419469821_NieuwAmSuperK.JPG.8ecbd0d0bfd11c4a2a6fcbdee878902d.JPG

This photo is shown as the default "inside" for the N.Amsterdam, but in fact it only represents the K's and J's on Main Deck. I's on Navigation deck are larger than L/M/N etc but not square (they do have loveseats). The (renumbered? I remember them being I's) K's and L's on Verandah and Upper Verandah are narrow and have only a single chair and maybe a square storage stool. Fortunately I had joined cruisedeckplans and could see some photos of possible insides at the time. We paid for an OV upgrade, unfortunately it was under the BBKing's Jazz Club. Fortunately I did learn that my DH functioned much better with natural light. So, I don't know if we will ever try the Super J's after all!

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have two cruises booked, one interior cabin (7 day cruise) and the other oceanview (20 days).  Short simple cruises an interior room is sufficient.  Also, much of the cruising happens at night when it's dark souls having a balcony, will mainly be used by me on sea days.  Otherwise, I would spend that money on excursions or purchases in the port cities.