Pacific Princess new layout?

jgw321

I just received a marketing email from Princess in which they stated

"Last year, our smallest ship in the fleet enjoyed a multi-million pound refit which included an upgraded atrium with a dazzling New York City design and Princess Luxury Beds in every stateroom."

The last refit we can find documented on the web is May 2017 and we were on her in September 2017 (for the first time) but she didn't look any different to the Ocean Princess which we have sailed in many times before she was sold..

However, in the video which was linked in the email they showed a new layout to the forward lounge on deck 10. Instead of the bandstand taking up the window area a whole row of seats with drinks tables have been placed next to windows with the dance floor apparently moved back. I always thought that this was the one bad design point on the R class ships.

Can anyone confirm if this change has happened? None of the deck plans I can find show a new layout. I suspect the video is either wishful thinking, or possibly future planning which should not have been released yet.

Edited by jgw321
formatting screwed up by the editor

We were on the Pacific for 48 nights ending last month. On deck 10, the entertainment played right in front of the center forward windows and the dance floor was right in front of it. Same as on the Ocean Princess 8 or 9 years ago

Thanks Paul,

a pity really, the change in their video would be a big improvement. It is hard to understand why Renaisance had all their ships designed that way in the first place.

There are two shots of the forward lounge, one at 0:34 showing the forward facing seats and the other at 1:40 showing the entertainment area behind it which I find hard to work out. For anyone interested the video is at https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/pa-pacific-princess/?cid=dm_email_promo_internal_080818-onboardspend-smallship_campaign&mi_u=8556440714

Seems like a marketing con. Trades description act?

Edited by jgw321

You’ve really piqued my interest and I, too, can’t identify either of those two spots, so either they were added after we disembarked the Pacific Princess in January 2017 or, as Paul says, they aren’t there still. The video even calls the lounge at 1:40 the Caberet Lounge, but then a few seconds later calls what used to be known as the Caberet Lounge the Show Lounge.

At 0:34, that looks like it could possibly be the front of the Pacific Lounge, but that wall was never there.

I can’t place the lounge at 1:40 at all. It has half-height windows so it’s on a lower deck.

And they’ve been using that same atrium footage for years, so that doesn’t show any changes either.

Very strange.

We got off the Pacific about 3 weeks ago after 48 days on board.

The wall to the right at 0:34 was not on our ship and I don't remember a wall there from previous times on Pacific, Ocean and middle Royal.

at 1:40, the swing thru the shot quickly, so it is not as easy to se things. It sort of looks like the dance floor in the Pacific Lounge (10 forward), but they seem to be identifying it as the Cabaret Lounge.

My first thought for 1:40 was a renovated Pacific Lounge but the windows are not floor to ceiling as they are on Deck 10 on the Pacific Princess. Unless they’ve positioned sofas in front of all of them but what a waste of the view. And that wooden floor looks raised. ???

I’m not sure where this video was filmed.

There are several incorrect parts of the video. The 'breathtaking views" area (:35) does not exist. There is no separate Club Restaurant (:52), it is a section of the MDR. The "Cabaret Lounge" shown (1:40) does not exist. They change the name of the Pacific Lounge to the Show lounge on the side view of the ship. They imply that the Cabaret Lounge and the Show Lounge are two different venues. I don't get it!

If you look at the floor plan, the Pacific Lounge looks totally different - it even has short stairs where the ramps were/are. Also, doesn't the Pacific have a salt pool? The video states freshwater.

I can give a report after Christmas... :D

Yes, it has a salt pool and it's heated.

I was on the ship at the same time as Paul and observed the same things.

If you look at the floor plan, the Pacific Lounge looks totally different - it even has short stairs where the ramps were/are. Also, doesn't the Pacific have a salt pool? The video states freshwater.

I can give a report after Christmas... :D

It use to have salt water in the pool.

We will be on the Dec. 22 cruise also. :D

We have spent a lot of time on the Pacific. The entire MDR has always been called the Club Restaurant even before club class existed. The Show Lounge is the Pacific Lounge. I could see parts of the Caberet that I could recognize, but there were too many reflections inThe shot of the show lounge to see how accurate (or inaccurate) it was. The views mentioned are from the seating area outside aft of the buffet. As of April, 2018, the pool was saltwater.

It appears to me that this is a fairly old video with shots captured on ships other than Pacific, and some narration that has been added to make it appear up to date. At the very end of the video, (2:43) the narrator says "the small ships of Princess." This video had to have been made when there were more small ships than just Pacific. The reference to "Come Back New" could have been dubbed in to update the video, but all in all, that video looks to be several years old meaning that the area in question on Deck 10 is not the result of a reconfiguration and instead, is simply not on that ship at all. There is no way that a newly shot video of a newly configured ship would be done in such low resolution.

Edit to add...

For comparison sake, I took a look at the video of CB, knowing that that ship had recently undergone some significant changes to see if the video captured that. According to the video, Sabatini's is up top, aft. And there is no mention of the redesigned dining venues. Clearly these videos haven't kept up.

Edited by JimmyVWine

It appears to me that this is a fairly old video with shots captured on ships other than Pacific, and some narration that has been added to make it appear up to date. At the very end of the video, (2:43) the narrator says "the small ships of Princess." This video had to have been made when there were more small ships than just Pacific. The reference to "Come Back New" could have been dubbed in to update the video, but all in all, that video looks to be several years old meaning that the area in question on Deck 10 is not the result of a reconfiguration and instead, is simply not on that ship at all. There is no way that a newly shot video of a newly configured ship would be done in such low resolution.

Edit to add...

For comparison sake, I took a look at the video of CB, knowing that that ship had recently undergone some significant changes to see if the video captured that. According to the video, Sabatini's is up top, aft. And there is no mention of the redesigned dining venues. Clearly these videos haven't kept up.

Yeah, the video for CB is for one of the three newer super-Grand Class vessels (Crown, Emerald, Ruby). At least all the content below that video shows the new venues on CB. Hopefully, these videos will be updated soon.

My comments were no indication as to when the video was made. The mirror at the top of the stairs leading to reception was changed during the dry dock in May-June, 1917. There were other decor changes including chairs, but nothing structural that we remember. The video does look dated. There is a period from May ? To June 11 in 2019 with no cruises scheduled on the Pacific. I looked on drydock schedules, but did not see it listed. Does anyone have any info?

My comments were no indication as to when the video was made. The mirror at the top of the stairs leading to reception was changed during the dry dock in May-June, 1917. There were other decor changes including chairs, but nothing structural that we remember. The video does look dated. There is a period from May ? To June 11 in 2019 with no cruises scheduled on the Pacific. I looked on drydock schedules, but did not see it listed. Does anyone have any info?

Same time they removed the paddle wheel? :D

If you view the Princess.com video for the Grand Princess....you will notice that the names of the MDRs are all wrong. They also mention the "retractable" roof from the aft pool. In my 10 cruises on the Grand over 10 years, I have never seen it retracted.

If you view the Pacific Princess' 111 Day World Cruise (05-jan-2019 FL to FL). The signature or advertised image shows an image from the country Jordan. This cruise does not visit Jordan. They reused an image from the 2018 WC.

Point here.....the web staff at Princess needs to be a bit more careful.

Yes, Pacific Princess is scheduled for her next drydock on May 27 through June12, 2019 in Freeport.

If you view the Princess.com video for the Grand Princess....you will notice that the names of the MDRs are all wrong. They also mention the "retractable" roof from the aft pool. In my 10 cruises on the Grand over 10 years, I have never seen it retracted.

Here is a photo of the Grand pool with the roof open

05310305CalypsoReefandPoolroofopendeck14P1030095_zps0d8cfd81.jpg