Evening Chic

yanan31359

Just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should. If you've booked a cruise on an upscale cruise line why not make your cruise a bit more special and trade the 'black' jeans for a nice pair of khaki's at dinner? I [personally] would feel a little uncomfortable having dinner in any restaurant where the staff dressed better than me. Just saying ;).

Frankly the smartness of a persons appearance is purely subjective.

Cheap poorly fitting trousers IMO look worse than a good well cut pair of jeans. Conversely baggy jeans will always be trumped by well tailored trousers.

For me as long as clothing isn't offensive and you don't look as though you have just come from the pool/beach for dinner then its up to each individual.

Oh and definitely no baseball caps!!

The jeans are fine. Not sure why every cruise line seems to be plagued with dress police. Enjoy your cruise.

I think the cruise lines are plagued with dress police to prevent or at least delay what's happened to the airline industry. Ever notice how people dress these days when flying, even in First Class? Have any of us ever thought, 'Gee, I hope that isn't the person that's got the seat next to me'? Of course we have.

Well, we all better get used to it - because it's coming to the cruise industry and quickly. Minimum dress code standards are being replaced with a 'If You Can Pay You Can Stay' mentality.

I hope I'm not the only one that would feel just a bit disappointed that after booking something special like a cruise finding out that I would be having dinner in a crowded fast food restaurant with a strictly enforced dress code posted at the restaurant entrance. It would announce, 'Shoes and Shirt Required' :eek:.

I think the cruise lines are plagued with dress police to prevent or at least delay what's happened to the airline industry. Ever notice how people dress these days when flying, even in First Class? Have any of us ever thought, 'Gee, I hope that isn't the person that's got the seat next to me'? Of course we have.

Well, we all better get used to it - because it's coming to the cruise industry and quickly. Minimum dress code standards are being replaced with a 'If You Can Pay You Can Stay' mentality.

I hope I'm not the only one that would feel just a bit disappointed that after booking something special like a cruise finding out that I would be having dinner in a crowded fast food restaurant with a strictly enforced dress code posted at the restaurant entrance. It would announce, 'Shoes and Shirt Required' :eek:.

Very well said.

I think it varies from cruise to cruise. On quiet cruises with lots of sea days (such as the relocation cruise from the Mediterranean to the Middle East) people seem to dress up more than on ‘busy’ cruises where people are off the ship every day, often coming back late in the afternoon or in the early evening.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On quiet cruises with lots of sea days (such as the relocation cruise from the Mediterranean to the Middle East) people seem to dress up more than on ‘busy’ cruises where people are off the ship every day, often coming back late in the afternoon or in the early evening.

With all respect Grandma Cruising, if a guest that had been on shore shopping, sightseeing or partaking in a long or short organized tour hadn't budgeted the few minutes it takes to 'freshen up' (a shower comes to mind) and change into appropriate clothing for dinner I wouldn't want them to be seated next to you or me at dinner. Few [if any] tours run so late that a guest would be late for dinner. Need more time getting ready for dinner? While it's sometimes difficult :rolleyes:, one could always skip that last cocktail they were enjoying at the pool bar :eek::eek:

If you are late arriving at your table because you wanted to look nice at dinner [after one of those difficult non sea days] all that need be said is, 'Sorry I'm late but I needed a few extra minutes to get ready for dinner this evening'.

My bet is that you're tablemates will understand and nod approvingly.

I appreciate your point, but I think it’s more about why people do particular cruises. On our Costa Rica Intensive Cruise people tended to be less ‘dressed up’ for dinner than on Athens to Dubai ( which we’ve done 3 times). I’m not saying that folks on the Costa Rica Cruise didn’t get spruced up for dinner, they did, but there were fewer jackets, cocktail style dresses etc. I think when you do a cruise with lots of sea days, dinner becomes more of an occasion, whereas when you do a country intensive cruise, the ‘occasion’ is the time spent ashore seeing the country you’re visiting.

The jeans are fine. Not sure why every cruise line seems to be plagued with dress police. Enjoy your cruise.

There is nothing to police. Nobody is breaking any codes by going casual. Azamara is a casual upscale line. If some don't like the casual part or don't like that others do, let them stew and complain on social media. I hadn't even planned on bringing a sports jacket on my upcoming Azamara cruise. I won't forget to pack white for the white night party though. :D

I choose to dress to be comfortable, not to impress or satisfy fellow cruisers. We've gone with Azamara and not Cunard because of the relaxed dress codes. If fellow passengers don't like my jeans or khakis at dinner, feel free to move to another table.

• Like 1

There is nothing to police. Nobody is breaking any codes by going casual. Azamara is a casual upscale line. If some don't like the casual part or don't like that others do, let them stew and complain on social media. I hadn't even planned on bringing a sports jacket on my upcoming Azamara cruise. I won't forget to pack white for the white night party though. :D

We’ve been on five Azamara cruises and the hubs has never brought a sports coat. He dresses nicely casual and is just fine. He dresses in white for white night too.

We like Azamara for their casual dress code. I have worn nice black jeans, heels and a dressy top to the dining room for dinner. My husband has never even packed a jacket but always wears a collared shirt. I really just wish that everyone would read the dress code and abide by it and that Azamara would enforce it. And if blue jeans and a t shirt are what one is comfortable wearing then there’s the Patio and windows cafe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote name=Host Grandma. Blue jeans are now acceptable in Azamara’s dress code so long as they are not torn or distressed.

“bare feet' date=' tank tops, baseball caps, bathing suits, shorts, and torn/distressed jeans are not allowed in the dining room or specialty restaurants”

We've come a long way since the days of transatlantic steam ships when ladies, well at least the ones traveling in First Class, would [often] do as many as 5 - 6 costume changes a day and men would dress for dinner wearing tails and gloves. I'm certainly not advocating that we return to those days but I remember when people dressed to travel by plane or when they went to a ball game. Nothing fancy, just spiffed up enough to show that they had taken the time to look a bit nicer than when doing chores at home.

I know I'll always be beating a dead dog when discussing minimum dress codes. It's pretty obvious that dress codes on ships will continue to relax just as they did with airlines. That said, I'll never forget sailing aboard the Queen Mary as a wide eyed ten year old boy seeing all those well dressed ladies and gentlemen walking into the dinning room :*

That was quite a sight :)

We like Azamara for their casual dress code. I have worn nice black jeans, heels and a dressy top to the dining room for dinner. My husband has never even packed a jacket but always wears a collared shirt. I really just wish that everyone would read the dress code and abide by it and that Azamara would enforce it. And if blue jeans and a t shirt are what one is comfortable wearing then there’s the Patio and windows cafe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My guess is that many like Azamara for the casual dress code and attitude. It certainly impacted our choice of Azamara for a very big cruise for us. I doubt I would ever book a cruise with Crystal.

My guess is that many like Azamara for the casual dress code and attitude. It certainly impacted our choice of Azamara for a very big cruise for us. I doubt I would ever book a cruise with Crystal.

However, my point was that, it is disappointing that there are those who come into the main dining room in attire not even meeting Azamara's already very relaxed standards (I didn't even know that they are allowing blue denim), and that there is no enforcement of the code. On our last cruise in July, I saw t-shirts (collarless shirts) and sneakers at dinner. I just don't think it's that difficult to either abide by the code or eat in one of the casual dining venues.

I am considering Crystal for my next cruise and that is one (very minor) reason. Their dress code is about where Azamara's was ten years ago.

However, my point was that, it is disappointing that there are those who come into the main dining room in attire not even meeting Azamara's already very relaxed standards (I didn't even know that they are allowing blue denim), and that there is no enforcement of the code. On our last cruise in July, I saw t-shirts (collarless shirts) and sneakers at dinner. I just don't think it's that difficult to either abide by the code or eat in one of the casual dining venues.

I am considering Crystal for my next cruise and that is one (very minor) reason. Their dress code is about where Azamara's was ten years ago.

I don't even think Carnival allows t-shirts or sneakers. If you go on Crystal, you'll have nothing to worry about - even me in jeans and golf shirts.