Compulsive cruise prep

Oh blessed day! It is so nice to know I am not alone in this. I use the Numbers app for the spreadsheet. I also have an app called Pack for my packing lists. Just pull the iphone out and double check I have everything and every trip gets a different packing list.

Let me add a few more to the Amazon list:

1. Magnetic hooks for the walls of the stateroom. Great for extra space. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FJ9Y9GW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Cruise tag sleeves. We have a set of narrow (size NCL uses) and a set of the wide. Have had them for 5+ yrs and still going strong (although I have replaced the loops, didn't care for the included style at all.) https://www.amazon.com/Caribbean-Celebrity-Easy-Read-Register/dp/B011S5GO6Y/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1534032699&sr=8-11&keywords=cruise+tags

3. I have every travel size refillable bottle known to man (too many to post links to). Constantly looking for travel size of any product I use on a daily basis.

4. Vibrant luggage tags. Bright colors make it easier to find in a sea of black bags.

5. Travel luggage scale. Weighs next to nothing and easy to just throw in suitcase.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Capacity-Function-Lightweight-Airlines/dp/B07DL8Q388/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1534033496&sr=8-25&keywords=travel+luggage+scale

Yep! Got all this from Amazon too! Plus cords without surge protectors to charge stuff. Multiple actually since I can't decide which one I like better. Amazon must love cruisers!

I use an itinerary I got off the internet. Just redo for each trip. My cruise is 2/19. I have stuff in my suitcase already. I also love amazon but need absolutely nothing more, which is disappointing. Since I have done everything I can do at this point I made some small door decorations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since I've struggled with the zip closure on my document file, I decided to change to one with a flap with velcro closure. Bonus feature...colors!

Amazon.com : JAM PAPER Plastic Envelopes with Hook & Loop Closure - Letter Booklet - 9 3/4 x 13 - Assorted Colors - 6/Pack : Office Products

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EVMN26Q/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Im sorry to read this about your Mothers' unexpected passing. Hugs.. That must have been hard.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I must apologize because I did not initially acknowledge in any way the passing of Firsttimer209’s mother. I am 58 and the youngest of my siblings so in my age group it is not unusual if someone’s parents have passed. I admit that I tend to offer condolences only if the loss occurred during the past 12 months or less. I apologize if I seemed calloused.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Reading this thread makes me Greene with envy. I have a cruise booked for March. Befor and after hotels are booked as well as two excursions but I can't find a decent non stop airfare so I have stopped planning for now in case I need to cancel. Its like having withdrawal symptoms. I NEED TO BE PLANNING!!

Mini fan? Because the room is hot, or because you're going to a tropical location? Mediterranean Cruise coming up in September on Epic. I do sleep with a ceiling fan - so is a portable fan going to be necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Christy

Things on Amazon like:

Door Decor

Straw

Mini Fan

Water Proof Bag - For cellphone or other doc if going swimming alone and you cannot leave your things on the beach.

Clothes Organizer bag

If someone is really into planning, they can definitely buy certain things for their cruise to have more fun.

For example, door decors or a name tag to hang on their door.

On my previous cruise, I passed by a stateroom - the door was decorated for Halloween and of course it is easier to notice right away which room is your without looking at the room # if you were in this room.

Since I've struggled with the zip closure on my document file, I decided to change to one with a flap with velcro closure. Bonus feature...colors!

Amazon.com : JAM PAPER Plastic Envelopes with Hook & Loop Closure - Letter Booklet - 9 3/4 x 13 - Assorted Colors - 6/Pack : Office Products

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EVMN26Q/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You are one heck of an enabler!

And I don't know if you get the prize for "cruise prep king/queen". Do you also have a several page document about the cruise line/ship?

Five pages for the next one and counting.

You are one heck of an enabler!

And I don't know if you get the prize for "cruise prep king/queen". Do you also have a several page document about the cruise line/ship?

Five pages for the next one and counting.

No, I do not have that! I did print out every single excursion description for our cruise next month though :)

No, I do not have that! I did print out every single excursion description for our cruise next month though :)

haha...you got me there.

Seriously, wish I would have kept all my hint sheets. They would have been fun to read back on.

[bTW, I am in Rochester NY!]

As promised, Here's a link to the excessive preparations that I share with my friends on our roll call.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Hr3ItuE9WGjIqcnSANSOBZ43dXRsAQjv

There are several versions of the itinerary such as port schedule with ships in port with us, and a sailing legs itinerary,

and average temperatures, and more. There a list of links to weather forecasts for closest location mid day each day and marine forecasts, and ocean buoy wave conditions. Also I show what you will likely be able to see on each side of the ship and there is a sailway guide for NY/NJ for our NCL Breakway cruises. I also do a currency conversaion chart for any local currencies, and a language guide for Mexican Spanish for those ports. Oh and a list of drinks to try with the unlimited beverage plan when we have it on NCL.

My own personal itinerary is much like the rest of you - daily plans and options. I copy/paste all possible excursions I am interested from the cruise line and local, until we finalize our choice and then I delete what I don't need. I also copy in local maps and info on food and shopping I can find in each port. Oh, and the location of Starbucks, if any, so I can get a hit of good coffee!

I also have a document for my travel to my embarkation port (Train to NYC), food options and local maps for NYC, and the same for my 2 days in New Orleans after the cruise.

And I'm not done yet... must find more to do...

Oh and you are all welcome to steal or adapt any of my stuff. There are PDFs for some of the spreadsheets but not all files have PDFs yet.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, I've found my tribe! My planning starts with a spreadsheet that details the estimated costs of various cruises or land trips (including airfare, hotel, and cost of the cruise/rental car, etc.) for the following year, and then I check pricing until one or more of the possibilities appears to be the "best" deal based on the itinerary. Only then will I decide whether I'm booking or not.

I keep a folder that contains paper copies of all the documents and that goes in my carry-on. I learned my lesson a few years ago when a TSA agent almost kept me from entering the USA because the folder was in my checked bag.

Pre-cruise I research all the ports for activities and local restaurants including the ship's excursions. I generally post to the roll call here on CC (what I think are) interesting facts and other findings. I find CC is a great way to meet fellow cruisers who have similar interests and since I often travel solo it's nice to "know" a few folks before I get onboard. I also join the group on the other social site that shall remain nameless.

I have a list that I've used for packing for several years for seven day cruises and so far, I've not forgotten anything that I've needed. I don't pack a lot of storage items that others have mentioned but again, since I'm on my own most of the time I don't have to share the storage space. I do tend to pack early and too much - maybe my list will be perfect for my 10 day cruise in December. ;)

I've learned a lot from the rest of you - I've grabbed your spreadsheet Shellbelle and will be visiting Amazon for the paper straws and the see-through folders for sure...and maybe some door art too!

I truly believe that each and everyone of you are my soul sister/brothers. I can take a bit of a deep breath that I am not the only "crazy OCD planning every single detail out" of every vacation girl. Thank god for the internet. Shall we take a toast!

[bTW, I am in Rochester NY!]

As promised, Here's a link to the excessive preparations that I share with my friends on our roll call.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Hr3ItuE9WGjIqcnSANSOBZ43dXRsAQjv

There are several versions of the itinerary such as port schedule with ships in port with us, and a sailing legs itinerary,

and average temperatures, and more. There a list of links to weather forecasts for closest location mid day each day and marine forecasts, and ocean buoy wave conditions. Also I show what you will likely be able to see on each side of the ship and there is a sailway guide for NY/NJ for our NCL Breakway cruises. I also do a currency conversaion chart for any local currencies, and a language guide for Mexican Spanish for those ports. Oh and a list of drinks to try with the unlimited beverage plan when we have it on NCL.

My own personal itinerary is much like the rest of you - daily plans and options. I copy/paste all possible excursions I am interested from the cruise line and local, until we finalize our choice and then I delete what I don't need. I also copy in local maps and info on food and shopping I can find in each port. Oh, and the location of Starbucks, if any, so I can get a hit of good coffee!

I also have a document for my travel to my embarkation port (Train to NYC), food options and local maps for NYC, and the same for my 2 days in New Orleans after the cruise.

And I'm not done yet... must find more to do...

Oh and you are all welcome to steal or adapt any of my stuff. There are PDFs for some of the spreadsheets but not all files have PDFs yet.

Yeah WNY!!!

I love that you have the sights and moon phases!!! So detailed. I may have to borrow from you!!!

I truly believe that each and everyone of you are my soul sister/brothers. I can take a bit of a deep breath that I am not the only "crazy OCD planning every single detail out" of every vacation girl. Thank god for the internet. Shall we take a toast!

[emoji485]

Oh yes! I have found my people!!

I am also a compulsive planner, my family teases me about it but love the trips I plan.

I make extensive lists to pass the time until my cruise.

Once the final payment is made, dining reservations and shore excursion bookings done I use the lists to keep me occupied.

I have my pre-cruise and post cruise hotels booked. I have travel to and from cruise ports booked (this trip is by train, a first for us). Parking is booked and confirmed as well (don’t live anywhere near a departure point).

Show tickets and tours in New York are booked and paid for. I like to have as much paid for in advance as possible.

Love seeing all the spreadsheet ideas though, going to give that a try, at the very least will keep me busy lol.

Love cruise and travel planning and also coming on these boards. Even better, I’m not alone in my obsession with planning and prepping!!

I've found my people!!

My trip planning starts with a massive comparison spreadsheet to calculate total cost of various cruises, including pre-night hotel stay, airfare, cruise base fare, service charges, etc. Then I obsessively research excursion options in an attempt to find the "perfect" activity. If we want to do it and it is possible to make a reservation, I make one. I want everything taken care of - we're the crazy people who make MDR reservations! Two weeks ahead, I'll start my packing list, and decide on outfits for each day and night. I also make a single-page itinerary of our entire trip with our flight #s and times, hotel info, dining/show reservations, and shore excursions, which we print out and hang on our door for the week as a reference.

Whew! My family thinks I'm a little nuts but they always appreciate that I know the answers to all their questions once we arrive!

Y'all are my kind of people! I LOVE planning, but what is more fun is the ACTUAL DOING!!!!!

My first cruise is coming up soon (Western Caribbean on Getaway Sept. 23), and I already have it all planned out...

Thanks A LOT CruiseCritic and YOUTUBE *being sarcastic*

I've been "researching" for over a year now, and I'm afraid the element of surprise and wonder is all gone. It'll still be fun, right?

Oh my I feel so good after reading all of your posts! I am the planner of the group. I research everything to get the best deal. I read every post on Escape. I You-Tube the ship and the rooms. I am obsessed. I even watch the ship leave every Sunday on the web cam. My trip isn't until September 30 yet I have the corner of my triple dresser filled with things I bought or things I will be packing. I bought sun tan lotion last year when when it was 90% off in anticipation of my cruise - doesn't expire until 2019! I have a list of must takes, I have lists of dinner times we booked and shows we booked. I mapped out Bermuda (second time there) with things we will do on each day. This is what I do and love it and get very sad when it is all over. Thanks for all your tips!

The tribe continues to grow.... I too am overly compulsive with my upcoming cruises, and so happy to find I'm not alone! :):) I have a three ring binder for each cruise. I have tabs - flight info., ground transportation, boarding docs., reservations, cruise documents, each port and all the information I can find on CC, the most current dailies, drink lists, my outfits broken down by day (including shorts, bathing suits, dresses at night). A section with each restaurant's menu. I start as soon as I book my cruise. I am up at midnight on the day they release the restaurants and shows to book. I pull out my binder and start checking off my list (such a refreshing feeling!). My Amazon orders are more than my grocery bills... is it wrong??? :) :D

the tribe continues to grow.... I too am overly compulsive with my upcoming cruises, and so happy to find i'm not alone! :):) i have a three ring binder for each cruise. I have tabs - flight info., ground transportation, boarding docs., reservations, cruise documents, each port and all the information i can find on cc, the most current dailies, drink lists, my outfits broken down by day (including shorts, bathing suits, dresses at night). A section with each restaurant's menu. I start as soon as i book my cruise. I am up at midnight on the day they release the restaurants and shows to book. I pull out my binder and start checking off my list (such a refreshing feeling!). My amazon orders are more than my grocery bills... Is it wrong??? :) :d

<3<3<3

I love this thread. We cruise Dec 15 this year. I have a tub that I throw everything I am buying for the cruise in. I already have 1 packing cube packed with prizes for our meet and greet, binoculars and some extra odds and ends. Plan on filling another packing cube this weekend with our swimwear. Passport folder is packed with passports and lanyards just waiting to add travel docs and cash after final payment. I have a spreadsheet I keep of clothes and things I want to pack. I will he completely packed at the latest 2 weeks before we sail.

I love all these suggestions................I too have my list started for a January cruise. Hard to think what we will need when traveling from cold, snow and ice to sun! We took a last minute trip this weekend and were going out on Puget sound in a boat leaving from our 106 degree weather in Eastern Washington........................and we had to go to Walmart when we arrived................we had forgotten jackets! Thank goodness we found windbreakers at Walmart as it was chilly out on the boat! Was just a reminder of why I am compulsive about a list before the cruise!!