Fresh Lobster

ahannas

My wife and I will soon be on a 2-week Canada/NE cruise. We stop in Boston, Portland and Bar Harbor, then up to Canada. At some point we'd like to go to a nice restaurant for some serious lobster. We're hoping to find a place not too far from the pier. Anyone know a place you could recommend?

Yeah, I know. The ship's dining room will probably offer one of those anemic little half-lobsters one night but we figure "Who wants to go to costal New Englsnd and not get 'real' lobster? I mean, what's the point?:o

In Portland, you can get some really "serious" lobster in either "nice" places or more "rustic" places, the rustic places have better prices, but less fancy dinnerware.

Nice places:

Boone's Fish House & Oyster Room

Street & Co.

Eventide Oyster

Scales

More rustic:

Becky's Diner

Portland Lobster Co

High Roller Lobster

Gilbert's Chowder House

Been to all, all great, but then again, they are serving the best lobster available, Maine. Lobster rolls, fried lobster, grilled lobster, steamed lobster, ravioli, linguini, diavolo, just about any way you'd like it. Most of the "rustic" ones are open for lunch, some of the nicer ones only for dinner. Eventide and Boone's are two open for lunch. And if you miss Eventide in Portland, there is another near Fenway in Boston.

• Like 1

Earlier this summer we were in Bar Harbor twice (B2B cruises) and both times had wonderful lobster at 59 Cottage. They are located at 59 Cottage Street about half a block from the main tourist drag. Wonderful food with interesting seasonal cocktails.

In addition to Yankee Lobster, there is a Legal Harbourside a little farther walk from the Boston pier. Be forewarned -- it also is very crowded at lunch.

If you are stopping in Halifax when in Canada, last fall and again earlier this summer we had simply wonderful lobster rolls at this small place inside Goldwater Seafoods. You eat outside with plastic flatware but the lobster rolls are some of the best ever. Two sizes of lobster rolls and if you want you can add wonderful fresh salads.

Are lobster rolls the recommended dish or are there other specialities to look out for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lobster rolls are great for a quick bite on the go. For a sit down meal, I prefer warm lobster dishes, and just about any way it's served is fine with me. The best places don't overdo the sauces on the pasta dishes, to let the lobster shine. Steamed lobster is the classic, but a whole "bug" is somewhat intimidating to those who've never done it, and can get messy if you're an amateur. Some places do "lazy man's lobster" which is a full steamed lobster that has been removed from the shell for you. Any lobster dish should include knuckle and claw meat, as I think this is the best part of the lobster.

Deep fried lobster can be excellent, if done with a light batter, but some can get smothered with a "corn dog" type batter that really takes away from the experience.

Boone's in Portland does a lobster roll with the full meat (tail, knuckles, claws) from a 1-1/4 lb lobster, which is a huge amount of meat to put into a roll.

Boone’s sounds amazing!!! Mmmmm! Thank you for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boone's used to be a Portland landmark, if a bit dated as a restaurant, and went out of business a few years back. New owner Harding Lee Smith is an award winning chef (though by all accounts he is a right b*****d to work for), owns 4 "room" restaurants in Portland:

Corner Room: Italian

Front Room: New American Comfort Food

Grill Room: Steakhouse, but so much more

Boone's Fish House & Oyster Room: Seafood and raw bar

All are great, all are open for lunch and dinner.

Legals is priced like any good seafood restaurant and has tables with great views of the water. Fresh seafood shouldn't be cheap.

I'm not a fan of Legal's in general, but for walking distance from the ship, it's either Yankee (no atmosphere) or Legal's.

Legals is priced like any good seafood restaurant and has tables with great views of the water. Fresh seafood shouldn't be cheap.

I'm not a fan of Legal's in general, but for walking distance from the ship, it's either Yankee (no atmosphere) or Legal's.

Gotta agree with all your points. As far as price, with kids living in Boston and Quincy, we are down there regularly, and we find that Portland's prices are equal or higher than Boston. Good food, with good presentation, and locally sourced ingredients tend to be costly.

There are lots of restaurants in the Halifax waterfront area which serve lobster. Murphy's on the waterfront is large and specializes in lobster. It is not a fine dining atmosphere but it is difficult to mess up fresh boiled lobster. The Bluenose II restaurant is more like a diner but apparently does a good job with lobster at a good price. More upscale would be McKelvie's or the Five Fishermen.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurants-g154976-Halifax_Halifax_Region_Nova_Scotia.html

We haven't been yet, so I can't speak to the quality, but in Sept. we are doing a Lucky Catch Cruises excursion in Portland. You go out on a lobster boat and help catch lobster, then you can buy one and take it to the Portland Lobster Company and for a fee they will cook it for you and provide side dishes. You can't get much fresher than that.

My DH is not a lobster fan, but I am. I would love to try a fresh, whole lobster while on the Snowbird Migration cruise in October 2019. I keep seeing "Market Price" on restaurant menus. I know this varies, but if we go to a "lobster shack" type of place, what kind of actual price range should we expect to pay? And where would you recommend? I am hoping for Portland or Bar Harbor and would prefer a casual eatery. Outside on a picnic table would suit me just fine!

My DH is not a lobster fan, but I am. I would love to try a fresh, whole lobster while on the Snowbird Migration cruise in October 2019. I keep seeing "Market Price" on restaurant menus. I know this varies, but if we go to a "lobster shack" type of place, what kind of actual price range should we expect to pay? And where would you recommend? I am hoping for Portland or Bar Harbor and would prefer a casual eatery. Outside on a picnic table would suit me just fine!

Going with past seasons, market price in October for a "lobster shack" 1-1/4 lb lobster meal would be $25-30. I buy the same lobster for $8-9 and steam it myself, so its been a while since we've sat down in a restaurant for a "bug". Portland Lobster Co is good, and convenient to the pier. Becky's Diner does a nice lobster dinner as well, just down Commercial St. from the pier.

Going with past seasons, market price in October for a "lobster shack" 1-1/4 lb lobster meal would be $25-30. I buy the same lobster for $8-9 and steam it myself, so its been a while since we've sat down in a restaurant for a "bug". Portland Lobster Co is good, and convenient to the pier. Becky's Diner does a nice lobster dinner as well, just down Commercial St. from the pier.

Thanks! I will keep that in mind.

There are a number of "lobster shacks" near Bar Harbor. All but one requires transportation to/from. The one "lobster shack" within walking distance of the tender dock is Stewmans Lobster Pound; read post #3.

Of the "lobster shacks" that require transportation to/from, depending on when you are visiting, you could use the Island Explorer to get to/from some of them. The downside to using IE is the amount of time it will take out of your visit. Here's a pix of a "lobster shack" that is right on a IE route

trenton-bridge.jpg

source: TripAdvisor

SBtS

We twice on our visits stopped at Finback Ale House on Cottage Street off of Main Street.

We had the best Lobster Roll and Lobster Platter ever had. How sweet the meat was almost didn't want to dip the Lobster into the Dawn Butter.

Then we walked and enjoyed all the shops around.

So lobster are called bugs in Maine too! There is a truck at Peggy's Cove near Halifax which cooks live lobster to order. When I saw it in July I think they were charging something like $15 or $18.

We were paying $8 Canadian a pound from the fishermen in May and June when they were in season where I live.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/12/2018 at 1:56 PM, ahannas said:

My wife and I will soon be on a 2-week Canada/NE cruise. We stop in Boston, Portland and Bar Harbor, then up to Canada. At some point we'd like to go to a nice restaurant for some serious lobster. We're hoping to find a place not too far from the pier. Anyone know a place you could recommend?

Yeah, I know. The ship's dining room will probably offer one of those anemic little half-lobsters one night but we figure "Who wants to go to costal New Englsnd and not get 'real' lobster? I mean, what's the point?:o

Did you find any lobster places near the Ports while on your Cruise?

We plan on doing a New England/Canada Cruise.