Doro river cruise on Uniworld comments

Viktoria

Just returned from Portugal on the Queen Isabel. We had a wonderful time. Contrary to the terrible reviews of the ship I read before I left, the ship was beautiful, the food was excellent, and so was the service. Unfortunately, we had chosen to stay in Lisbon before the cruise and had terrible, very hot weather. Fortunately, the city tour was in an A C bus and the guide was excellent. The hotel was beautiful and we stayed put for the next 2 days. The temp was as high as 113 degrees. If you are interested in learning about wine and visiting wineries, this is the trip for you. I should have known that before I left as the Douro is in the wine region. However, the scenery along the way is beautiful. Also, if you are limited in your walking ability, that is a problem. Portugal is an old country and many of the tourist areas have cobbled stone streets. Because of that, hills and many steps make getting around very difficult. On one excursion to Salamanka I asked the tour director if there was much walking.He said there was not much at all. WRONG.There were many hills and steps along the way. I guess if you do not have walking issues, it would have been fine. Along with the help of some of the cruise passengers, I managed. It was a very interesting tour. In spite of it all, I enjoyed the cruise and as usual Uniworld continues to please.

Thank you for your report, Viktoria. Glad you had a good trip overall. And thanks for posting the information about walking. It will help others considering this itinerary.

Roz

Took Uniworld's Douro cruise on the Queen Isabel just this June. Note that the ship is smaller than big European river Uniworld ships. Everyone's ships smaller on the Douro. Enjoyed the cruise very much. Beautiful scenery. The river banks are green, either wild or most often vineyards. My favorite tour was the Côa Valley Archaeological Park visit to view etchings of various Pleistocene era animals carved into riverside rocks 20-30,000 years ago. Requires good mobility climbing down the riverbank to the carvings and back up again but not strenuous.

Fortunately, we encountered none of the awful situations described in some 2018 reviews. I wrote a review on Cruise Critic but it has yet to appear.

Photos here...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/seacoast_nh/albums/72157692717046770/page1

Took Uniworld's Douro cruise on the Queen Isabel just this June. Note that the ship is smaller than big European river Uniworld ships. Everyone's ships smaller on the Douro. Enjoyed the cruise very much. Beautiful scenery. The river banks are green, either wild or most often vineyards. My favorite tour was the Côa Valley Archaeological Park visit to view etchings of various Pleistocene era animals carved into riverside rocks 20-30,000 years ago. Requires good mobility climbing down the riverbank to the carvings and back up again but not strenuous.

Fortunately, we encountered none of the awful situations described in some 2018 reviews. I wrote a review on Cruise Critic but it has yet to appear.

Photos here...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/seacoast_nh/albums/72157692717046770/page1

Thanks for the wonderful pictures; we enjoyed them all. The Douro is high on our future bucket list, as we are moving toward river cruising from ocean cruising more often.