Drink Package Pros/Cons on QM2

scottbh

Boy the accountants must have worked on this "offer" for the last six months...

"I'll make them a offer they can't refuse...."

Sounds like they just came up with one most could....

Exactly. It seems like the most begrudging response to the competition possible. Considering the ease of using the package on the other lines, when people encounter this, my guess is that it will reflect poorly on Cunard rather than positively.

I am just planing my own cruise for the first time and this thread is very interesting.

$69 per day ? I mean can you really drink that much so that this offer is worth it?

You have to drink ca. 6 drinks for $11 during the day. Is this possible? (and not laying on the ground if these drinks would be alcohol).

Sounds like not a good deal for me.

We are trying to work out if it is a good deal for us.

My rule for other companies packages is 7 drinks per day. With Cunard I feel the number of drinks is closer to 8. Maybe not as their base prices are dearer.

That does, however, include coffee and cocktails.

We will try the package on our first crossing to see, then decide for the return!

Having received e-mail from Cunard after asking about drinks package they have told me a slightly different version of what has been said and is now available on Cunard's UK website. There is no mention of any drink under $11 and is to include only beers, wines and spirits and costs $69, so you cannot say have cocktails, martinis or even coffees as there is a seperate coffee card at $40 for 10 coffees.

If this is the case then we will not bother.

The Cunard website has been updated to include -

"A world of drinks – Queen Mary 2

A range of new inclusive drinks options is now available to buy onboard Queen Mary 2. The range includes a Beers, Wines and Spirits Option ($69* per person per day), a Premium Soft Drinks Option ($29* per person per day), a Soft Drinks Option ($10* per person per day) and a Speciality Hot drinks option ($15* per person per day). These prices are inclusive of 15% bar service charge. More details of these options and associated terms and conditions will be provided on board by your bar teams. These options are currently only able to be purchased on board and are available until midnight on the second day of your voyage – for voyages of five nights or more.

*Prices are subject to change"

If this excludes soft drinks, coffee, mineral water etc as well as all the other limitations, it should be called the Cunard Asterisk Drinks Package..if you fancy it, it has a * next to it and it's not included. The poor bar staff are going to mutiny trying to keep all of these packages straight as well.

Seems strange that Cunard offer drinks packages in US if you book balcony or above and if not mistaken includes any drink under $12. If what some are saying that you can have anything under $11 or like I have been led to believe by Cunard it only include beers,wines and spirits but have to pay $69 per day seems rather unfair to me and favouring the US cruiser.

No... the Balcony Drinks Offer is for any drink (like all four of them!) under $9. I am pretty sure, like the $12 limit one for Grill passengers, it does include ALL drinks (soft drinks, coffee etc) under the limit, though.

No... the Balcony Drinks Offer is for any drink (like all four of them!) under $9. I am pretty sure, like the $12 limit one for Grill passengers, it does include ALL drinks (soft drinks, coffee etc) under the limit, though.

I’ve seen it advertised as $12. It’s a new US promo.

There are presently TWO different packages for the US market:

♦ The Free Drinks Package offer is applicable only to guests reserving a Princess Grill Suite or Queens Grill Suite on voyages that are 7 days are longer listed under this promotion. The Free Drinks offer applies to all drinks $12 and under purchased on board during the cruise. Drinks under this promotion can be purchased and consumed free of charge by the participant only, and may not be purchased for people who are not booked on the promotion. Offer is not applicable to guests under 21 years of age. Drinks priced above the threshold shown above must be purchased at full price. Paying the difference between the threshold and the higher price is not permitted. The standard 15% service charge applied against all bar orders will be included under this promotion for all drinks ordered under the price threshold. Tipping beyond the 15% is at the discretion of the guests. For drinks purchased over the price threshold, the 15% service charge will apply as standard. Drinks ordered on this promotion will be signed for in the normal way with the cost of the drinks appearing on the sales receipt. The cost is credited back to the guest folio on a nightly basis. This promotion does not apply to drinks ordered as room service or in-room mini-bar (except Queens Grill), bottles of wine or drinks packages. Cunard operates a Responsible Service of Alcohol Policy. Offer is not available for third/fourth berth guests, is not transferable and may not be combinable with other offers. No cash value. Promotion code ZED.

♦ The Free Drinks Package offer is applicable only to guests reserving a Balcony Stateroom on voyages listed under this promotion. The Free Drinks offer applies to all drinks $9 and under purchased on board during the cruise. Drinks under this promotion can be purchased and consumed free of charge by the participant only, and may not be purchased for people who are not booked on the promotion. Offer is not applicable to guests under 21 years of age. Drinks priced above the threshold shown above must be purchased at full price. Paying the difference between the threshold and the higher price is not permitted. The standard 15% service charge applied against all bar orders will be included under this promotion for all drinks ordered under the price threshold. Tipping beyond the 15% is at the discretion of the guests. For drinks purchased over the price threshold, the 15% service charge will apply as standard. Drinks ordered on this promotion will be signed for in the normal way with the cost of the drinks appearing on the sales receipt. The cost is credited back to the guest folio on a nightly basis. This promotion does not apply to drinks ordered as room service or in-room mini-bar (except Queens Grill), bottles of wine or drinks packages. Cunard operates a Responsible Service of Alcohol Policy. Offer is not available for third/fourth berth guests, is not transferable and may not be combinable with other offers. No cash value. Promotion code RD1. Offer Expires September 6, 2018.

It was different yesterday, as I took a screen shot and discussed it in another site.

Just checked the same website, and they’re not advertising any drinks promo now, so not sure what was going on there. Maybe they had it at 12 and now they’ve dropped it to $9.

We're still on board and in QG, so because we have "free" drinks in our suite, it's definitely not worth it.

We had a nice touch today. Our butler from 10. 9 and 8 years ago, is now a Deck Manager on the main QG deck, and sent my wife a lovely floral arrangement as a "welcome back". Much appreciated.

Stewart

It was different yesterday, as I took a screen shot and discussed it in another site.

Just checked the same website, and they’re not advertising any drinks promo now, so not sure what was going on there. Maybe they had it at 12 and now they’ve dropped it to $9.

I can assure you, there are dozens of leaflets everywhere, and it's definitely $11 max

The information I posted came from the Cunard (USA) site TODAY so it reflects the present offers for the US market.

One of the pitfalls of this site is that the user names do not include the country or nationality. Even a little flag next to the name would be helpful. And as Cunard sells to so many international markets but the on board prices are dollars, we often wind up talking at cross purposes here when citing offers, prices and deals.

The US market website only makes mention of these $9/$12 drinks offers in connection with a specific booking promotion and has nothing to do with this apparent trial of a separately purchased drinks package offered to the UK market and also aboard QM2 at the moment. There is no mention of this in US website or literature.

But yes $9/$11/$12 and what have you is confusing indeed... and think of the poor staff trying to keep it straight. I am bringing a print out of the offer we booked under so I will be pleased to "help" if required!

I read this:

1) Wines, beers and Spirits (New) - $69 per person per day.

Our most comprehensive selection; the Beers, Wines, & Spirits option, includes an incredible array of beers, wines by the glass, spirits, liqueurs, and cocktails up to $11 per serving, as well as all the benefits of the Premium Soft Drinks option detailed below. Guests will also receive a 20% discount on drinks above $11, all bottles of wine, and large bottles of water.

2) Premium Soft Drinks (New) - $29 per person per day.

Unlimited access to a wide variety of soft drinks, small bottled waters, freshly squeezed juices, speciality hot drinks and hand-crafted zero-proof mocktails. Plus a 20% discount on any other non-alcoholic drinks not included in the Premium Soft Drinks Option, such as large bottles of mineral water, deluxe juices and smoothies

3) Soft Drinks (New) - $10 per person per day.

Unlimited draught soft drinks, selected fruit juices, squash and cordials

4) Speciality Hot Drinks (New) - $15 per person per day

Unlimited illy speciality coffees, Tea Forté infusions and hot chocolates.

5) Wine Collections (Existing) – From $299

Guests can choose a tailor made collection of either six or twelve bottles from one of two distinctly different yet exquisite wine collections; The Commodore Collection and The Captains Collection. A full brochure is available from the Sommelier team detailing each collection from which guests will make their selections.

Captains Collection: $299 (6 bottles), $560 (12 bottles)

Commodore Collection: $395 (6 bottles), $715 (12 bottles)

$69 seems a bit steep to me and v similar to to the Premium package on Celebrity which is also $69

"Offer is available to residents of the 50 United States, Canada, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, Mexico and the District of Columbia who are 21 years of age or older"

I hate this....Greetings from Germany ;p

A German walks into QM2's bar......

Seriously: I would never go for a drinks or wine package. They make you drink more alcohol and/or sugar than you should. The interesting drinks in the CC cost more than $11 ad with the wine package, you will never get the interesting bottles (from Canada, Brazil or even India) and you will end up drinking what you could get at home.

I read this:

1) Wines, beers and Spirits (New) - $69 per person per day. Our most comprehensive selection; the Beers, Wines, & Spirits option, includes an incredible array of beers, wines by the glass, spirits, liqueurs, and cocktails up to $11 per serving, as well as all the benefits of the Premium Soft Drinks option detailed below. Guests will also receive a 20% discount on drinks above $11, all bottles of wine, and large bottles of water. 2) Premium Soft Drinks (New) - $29 per person per day. Unlimited access to a wide variety of soft drinks, small bottled waters, freshly squeezed juices, speciality hot drinks and hand-crafted zero-proof mocktails. Plus a 20% discount on any other non-alcoholic drinks not included in the Premium Soft Drinks Option, such as large bottles of mineral water, deluxe juices and smoothies 3) Soft Drinks (New) - $10 per person per day. Unlimited draught soft drinks, selected fruit juices, squash and cordials 4) Speciality Hot Drinks (New) - $15 per person per day Unlimited illy speciality coffees, Tea Forté infusions and hot chocolates. 5) Wine Collections (Existing) – From $299 Guests can choose a tailor made collection of either six or twelve bottles from one of two distinctly different yet exquisite wine collections; The Commodore Collection and The Captains Collection. A full brochure is available from the Sommelier team detailing each collection from which guests will make their selections. Captains Collection: $299 (6 bottles), $560 (12 bottles) Commodore Collection: $395 (6 bottles), $715 (12 bottles)

$69 seems a bit steep to me and v similar to to the Premium package on Celebrity which is also $69

I have today received a reply to my e-mail from Cunard UK asking if the $69 per day package only include beers, wines and spirits or is there other drinks available say under $9/$11 or$12. The response was as follows-

We do offer different promotions depending on where you are based, but these promotions also can change at any time and also, the prices that you pay will differ from those that live in these locations. I am sorry if this causes you any distress, but rest assured, we offer great promotions for our UK guests as well, with some great on board spending money currently available.

So they never answered whether any other drinks than beer,wines or spirits are included and no max drinks price.

I overheard somebody in the Commodore Club yesterday who must have fallen for the $69 offer. He wanted a cocktail but couldn't get it because it was $11.20 (or it might have been $11.40) therefore not included. He was offered a 20% discount, but declined.

Thankfully, we're in QG so are being well looked after and now have a cupboard full of beer, as well as the usual spirits, cokes and mixers.

Our old butler from the QV is our deck manager and sent my wife a lovely flower arrangement as a "Welcome aboard" gift, then arranged to visit for a catch up. Nice touch.

I'm joining the QM2 on Sunday (if I get my work done on time!) and have been debating the drinks package.

Initially I thought I may go for it - I usually like a coffee or 2 in the morning (and not the crud that's served in the buffet!) before a couple of beers over lunch / afternoon, then a couple of drinks before dinner, wine over dinner and then a nightcap. At $12/drink maximum it almost makes it an acceptable deal.

At $11/drink maximum it rules out a lot of cocktail and wine options. I'd have preferred a slightly higher charge (and higher maximum) or a chance to pay the difference when purchasing more expensive drinks.

I don't think I'll be taking it up.

Re the new $10 soft drink package. Do we know if the coke offered will be from the pump or bottle? And if it is from the pump what would happen if I ordered a coke in the MDR where it is in a bottle?

I don't know for sure, but quoting from soraya's post above (my emphasis):

"3) Soft Drinks (New) - $10 per person per day. Unlimited draught soft drinks, selected fruit juices, squash and cordials"

The word "draught" implies to me that it's the same as the previous soft drinks package in that it only includes sodas from the soda dispensers in the bars, not cans or bottles of soda. And that has meant Pepsi rather than Coke. My assumption is that cans or bottles of soda would be charged full price as usual. You could of course order a glass of Pepsi in the MDR using the previous soft drinks package. Probably have to upgrade to the new "Premium Soft Drinks" package for a bottle of Coke. But as always, if anyone knows differently from actual experience, I'd be glad to hear about that.

Edited by bluemarble

Re the new $10 soft drink package. Do we know if the coke offered will be from the pump or bottle? And if it is from the pump what would happen if I ordered a coke in the MDR where it is in a bottle?

It would be from the pump and if offered in MDR they would fetch it from nearest bar.