Visa for Victoria

margtee

I am an Alaskan cruise next month travelling from UK. Our last stop is in Victoria and have been told that we may need visa, similar to ESTA that we have already obtained for USA, to enter Canada. On Canadian website it states about people flying in to Canada and in transit need one. I have tried asking various authorities but they are slow in coming back with an answer. Have tried phoning Celebrity but waited quite a while and there was no reply.

Is anyone able to tell me correct procedure - ie do I need to apply for Canadian ETA? Thanks for any help.

Margaret

I am an Alaskan cruise next month travelling from UK. Our last stop is in Victoria and have been told that we may need visa, similar to ESTA that we have already obtained for USA, to enter Canada. On Canadian website it states about people flying in to Canada and in transit need one. I have tried asking various authorities but they are slow in coming back with an answer. Have tried phoning Celebrity but waited quite a while and there was no reply.

Is anyone able to tell me correct procedure - ie do I need to apply for Canadian ETA? Thanks for any help.

Margaret

Visit Canada https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada.html

Find out if you need a visa

Your selection: GBR (UK - British citizen). Change your selection

How do you plan to travel to Canada?

plane.png

Fly to or transit through a Canadian airport:

You need to apply online for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). You can apply with a valid passport, a credit or a debit card, and an email address.

Get an eTA

boat_car.png

Drive or arrive by train, bus, or boat:

You don’t need a visa or eTA, but you do need to bring the right travel documents.

Resume if you arrive by air you need the eta, if you arrive by land or sea you don't need it.

As above. We went on a New England/Canada cruise last year and as we came in on a ship, just needed our passport...though no one stopped us at St. John or Halifax and asked to see it. We just took our driving licence as photo ID as its easier to carry...no problem at all.

Simon

If, for some reason you had to disembark in Victoria, you would then need an eTA. I know it’s a stretch that you’ll require it but for $7CDN (~£4) it could be a bargain time saver. It’s also valid for 5 years or when your passport expires.

You only need the eta if you arrive to Canada by air if you arrive in a cruise ship you don't need it.

Thank you all for your replies. As we are entering by ship, just 6 hours in Victoria, seems just need to have passport which obviously we will have in any event.

You have now put my mind at ease and I can concentrate on more important things - like what to pack etc. First time to Alaska and I am so looking forward to it.

Margaret