Blexie Tour Guides

Cruisegirl6

Can't praise Blexie tours enough!  We just returned from our second trip to Cuba in two months.  First time used a ship tour, this time used Blexie - it was a world of difference and I have no hesitation recommending them. 

Our guide was Rosio and she was simply amazing.  We had some specific places we wanted to go, and in addition she took us to some spots she thought we would like after she got to know our interests as well. DH wanted to visit some cigar stores and she took us to several very lovely locations and helped him get all that were on his list.

We really enjoyed talking with Rosio, she was very open and conversation came so easily on a wide range of subjects.  Our 55 Chevy was immaculate and the AC worked great (it was HOT that day).  Our driver was safe and attentive as well.

Absolutely hire Blexie for a worry free day and ability to really experience Havana.

Glad to hear you were happy with Blexie tours, we have booked them for our trip this July.

Just a few questions please.

other then just emails back and forth, was there any other means of booking that you did with Blexie? I was given a name and location to meet, and was told i can pay in US dollars.... does that all sound legit? 

Thanks

6 minutes ago, tom3562 said:

Glad to hear you were happy with Blexie tours, we have booked them for our trip this July.

Just a few questions please.

other then just emails back and forth, was there any other means of booking that you did with Blexie? I was given a name and location to meet, and was told i can pay in US dollars.... does that all sound legit? 

Thanks

Are you on FB? You can confirm with him via messenger or regular post there, if you want. 

2 years ago he just took CUCs, now tho he does take USD - with the exchange rate factored in.

In April it was 130 CUC or 150 USD.

Someone posted that he had increased his rate, not confirmed, and a recent change, if it is true. Still a bargain. 

Search Blexie Havana Tours on FB. 

As an aside - it is HOT in Havana in July, so be prepared. 

10 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Are you on FB? You can confirm with him via messenger or regular post there, if you want. 

2 years ago he just took CUCs, now tho he does take USD - with the exchange rate factored in.

Someone posted that he had increased his rate, not confirmed, and a recent change, if it is true. Still a bargain. 

We toured with Blexie in April and the fee was CUC130 plus I tipped our guide and driver as they both did a great job.

12 hours ago, OHCruisinDad said:

We toured with Blexie in April and the fee was CUC130 plus I tipped our guide and driver as they both did a great job.

What did you tip each of them?  I am trying to figure out what to tip each guide and driver.  Thanks. 

11 hours ago, Wyoming2010 said:

What did you tip each of them?  I am trying to figure out what to tip each guide and driver.  Thanks. 

I tipped our guide 30 CUC and our  driver 10 CUC.  That was basically what we had left in CUC currency.  They were both very appreciative.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 7:43 PM, Lorey2007 said:

I would check and see if they can meet somewhere closer.  We were picked up at the building that looks like a ship which is out the terminal to the right same side of street and about a 1 block walk.  Sidewalk narrow and not in the best condition but we walked single file and ignored all the classic taxis that wanted us to tour with them.  Our guide met us there at 9am with a sign with my name I also had a code but didn't need to use it.

I just heard back from Blexie.  He said Jorge can meet us at the bull pen shaped like a ferry.  Is that what you were referring to? 

On 6/2/2019 at 2:39 PM, EatonDoolittle said:

I also receive via messenger and the cost was $185 and said I could pay with US cash. I was wondering since you don't do the walking tour they will have to use more gas and that is why the cost went up.

10 hours ago, Wyoming2010 said:

I just heard back from Blexie.  He said Jorge can meet us at the bull pen shaped like a ferry.  Is that what you were referring to? 

Yes our meeting place was at the building shaped like a ferry out of the terminal to the right on the same side of the street about 1 block on a narrow sidewalk.  Be careful sidewalk not in good shape.  Our tour was fabulous. Have a great time!  Here's a pic of the building.

NCL Sun-Key West & Cuba 041.JPG

Edited by Lorey2007

17 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

Yes our meeting place was at the building shaped like a ferry out of the terminal to the right on the same side of the street about 1 block on a narrow sidewalk.  Be careful sidewalk not in good shape.  Our tour was fabulous. Have a great time!  Here's a pic of the building.

NCL Sun-Key West & Cuba 041.JPG

Thanks -- but this all may be moot now that Trump is threatening to ban all US ships to Cuba!  18 months of planning -- UGH.

2 hours ago, Wyoming2010 said:

Thanks -- but this all may be moot now that Trump is threatening to ban all US ships to Cuba!  18 months of planning -- UGH.

Really is too bad  as Cuba is a wonderful place to visit.  People great. Government  not so much. 

• Like 1

We did a tour with Blexie last Monday.  Lauren was our guide and Alex our driver in a 1956 Chevy Bel Aire, with A/C and a Toyota diesel engine!

We had an amazing time.  We met Lauren at the park in front of St. Francis of Assisi church.  Just a wonderful day and Lauren spoke better English than most Americans and Alex was a very safe driver.

So sad that they will be struggling now with the travel ban.  They made more in a couple days of tours than the typical Cuban makes in a month and helped support their extended families.  Hopefully sanity will return and travel to Cuba will resume, if not soon, then after 2020.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Wyoming2010 said:

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how I felt when I first read about the ban and worrying about it all on a daily basis.  I would have been so disappointed if I had heard the announcement from the captain that we were going to Nassau instead of Havana.  Hopefully the ships will be able to return in the future. 

2 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how I felt when I first read about the ban and worrying about it all on a daily basis.  I would have been so disappointed if I had heard the announcement from the captain that we were going to Nassau instead of Havana.  Hopefully the ships will be able to return in the future. 

I appreciate your sentiments.  Not to be morbid,  but my husband may not be able to wait another year or two.  This trip was number one on his bucket list.  I sure wish we'd done it last year now.  

Edited by Wyoming2010

22 hours ago, K&RCurt said:

We did a tour with Blexie last Monday.  Lauren was our guide and Alex our driver in a 1956 Chevy Bel Aire, with A/C and a Toyota diesel engine!

We had an amazing time.  We met Lauren at the park in front of St. Francis of Assisi church.  Just a wonderful day and Lauren spoke better English than most Americans and Alex was a very safe driver.

So sad that they will be struggling now with the travel ban.  They made more in a couple days of tours than the typical Cuban makes in a month and helped support their extended families.  Hopefully sanity will return and travel to Cuba will resume, if not soon, then after 2020.

I don't post much (more of a lurker) but wanted to add that we had Lauren and Alex in February and they were amazing.  I am so sad for them and their fellow tour guides (it's such a shame).

I hope for sanity too (but doubt it).  😞

• Like 1

Canadians make up the largest group of visitors to Cuba, I believe.   Something like a million, four hundred thousand.  About half of all tourist visitors, with the vast majority arriving by plane.

But, there's no question that the huge flow of American cruise passengers reshaped the business in Cuba.

19 hours ago, wjttol said:

I don't post much (more of a lurker) but wanted to add that we had Lauren and Alex in February and they were amazing.  I am so sad for them and their fellow tour guides (it's such a shame).

Having spent so much time preparing for this cruise and emailing all our tour guides back and forth, I feel like I got to know them and am so sad we won't get to meet them.  I truly feel sorrow for what they are going to lose because of all this nonsense.  It took us four years to build tourist relations back up with them and now it's all moot.  

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:01 PM, wjttol said:

We had Lauren on Tuesday  (the day of the ban) and she was awesome!!  Very sweet and upbeat the whole tour.  Driver Alex was very courteous and safe.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:59 PM, S&DMOM said:

We had Lauren on Tuesday  (the day of the ban) and she was awesome!!  Very sweet and upbeat the whole tour.  Driver Alex was very courteous and safe.

This will certainly hurt their livelihood and take money from their families.  So frustrating. 

• Like 1