Man overboard on Norwegian Star

Seafoam Sally

Oh gosh. One of my worst nightmares falling overboard. I hate leaning on the railings (even though I know they’re safe) on cruise ships in case I fall.

I hope he’s found safely, and best wishes to his friends and family.

Just heard about this too. Very sad! My mum and dad are due to go on Norwegian Star today in Venice for their Golden Wedding cruise. Hope there is a positive outcome. xx

Edited by FeeFee02

Good news: the passenger was found alive, thankfully!

We received the announcement that there was a passenger overboard a little past 6 in the morning, that it occurred overnight and we had returned to the location for search and rescue. Around 8 the captain notified us that he was suspending the search and rescue and heading back to Venice, but the Croatian coast guard would take over. Around 11-12 we received the good news that the passenger was found alive and flown to Croatia to receive treatment. It is now almost 2 but we are finally arriving in Venice.

Ok, I will say it and Sorry to sound cold but I don’t waste my sorrow in people like this. It is IMPOSSIBLE to “fall” overboard unless you either want to or are being an idiot. There are plenty of other sad things in the world for me to concern myself about

Ok, I will say it and Sorry to sound cold but I don’t waste my sorrow in people like this. It is IMPOSSIBLE to “fall” overboard unless you either want to or are being an idiot. There are plenty of other sad things in the world for me to concern myself about

Totally agree. Ban this person from future cruises and present him with the bill for the rescue efforts.

According to the BBC she was in the water for 10 hours and fell overboard at around midnight. the past track on the Marine Traffic site shows they sailed over 50 miles before turning to search so maybe nobody noticed she was missing

According to the BBC she was in the water for 10 hours and fell overboard at around midnight. the past track on the Marine Traffic site shows they sailed over 50 miles before turning to search so maybe nobody noticed she was missing

Yep, which is why these ships so desperately need to install a (wo)man overboard detection system to alert the bridge.

Although it doesn't seem to be the case here it's worth pointing out to the "BAN THEM!" people that in a large number of women overboard cases it turns out partners have pushed/thrown them overboard sadly. Just another, more inventive, form of violence against women.

Although it doesn't seem to be the case here it's worth pointing out to the "BAN THEM!" people that in a large number of women overboard cases it turns out partners have pushed/thrown them overboard sadly. Just another, more inventive, form of violence against women.

Please feel free to document that ridiculous assertion. The woman in this story has been interviewed and says nothing of the sort. Thanks for the laugh.

Here is the latest on the story. As has been said before, she is very lucky but HOW did she manage to fall overboard.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6075837/British-woman-saved-TEN-HOURS-falling-sea-cruise-ship-coast-Croatia.html#newcomment

Given she went overboard about midnight, I wonder if the all inclusive beverage package had anything to do with it?:confused: