Man overboard on Norwegian Star

Seafoam Sally

What does this have to do with man vs woman, seems you need a mirror as it appears you have an agenda or ax to grind? Why go after the posters when it is the individual on the ship that caused the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No no agenda or axe to grind but I just feel that some of the comments mostly made by men are very nasty and negative! As we are now hearing on the news / papers she’s obviously got a lot of emotional problems and in the heat of the moment made a big stupid mistake! So what if the ship was late docking / flights were missed you would all have something to say if the ship hadn’t tried to find her!

We took the Star to Alaska.

They converted the lounge with a view to the suites and all the activities were in the lounge on the 7th deck

No windows, no view

You had to go outside or just see what you could see from your balcony.

Same with the Epic.

All activities were in rooms with no view or the lobby. Very poor.

Sent from my VS995 using Forums mobile app

No no agenda or axe to grind but I just feel that some of the comments mostly made by men are very nasty and negative! As we are now hearing on the news / papers she’s obviously got a lot of emotional problems and in the heat of the moment made a big stupid mistake! So what if the ship was late docking / flights were missed you would all have something to say if the ship hadn’t tried to find her!

Nothing you posted absolves her from responsibility for the costs. If you are unfortunate enough to be in a car accident, I doubt the other driver will be sympathetic if you just tell them "I was having emotional problems" and pay for their own repairs.

There wasn't a single post that even suggested that there shouldn't have been a rescue effort. Other than yours.

This woman was supposedly employed as an Air Hostess for God's sake.

Don't we all have 'emotional' problems when we've been caught out red handed.

:evilsmile::evilsmile:

We took the Star to Alaska.

They converted the lounge with a view to the suites and all the activities were in the lounge on the 7th deck

No windows, no view

You had to go outside or just see what you could see from your balcony.

Same with the Epic.

All activities were in rooms with no view or the lobby. Very poor.

Sent from my VS995 using Forums mobile app

Thank you.

We are in Adriatic Sea, so hopefully this will not be an issue.

There's a great deal of talk on these boards about disembarkation from ships, times to airports, making flights and so on.

Aside from the cost of the ship turning and the coastguard effecting her rescue, who picks up the cost if passengers missed flights or other travel connections as a result of the "fall" (and let's be honest it seems unlikely she was pushed so either jumped on purpose or was fooling around).

And then what about the passengers on the next departing cruise - their holiday had also been messed around and plans for boarding had to change and costs would have been incurred for meals or changed transport!

I suppose many will have insurance companies to deal with many of these issues - however if insurance didn't cover my expenses or if I was actually the insurance company I would be pursuing this woman for recompense.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

And yes, I'm glad no-one died, of course.

Does anyone know what to do if your travel insurance doesn’t cover this incident? Just spoke with Gold Visa and they said no coverage. Sitting at about $4000 extra in charges for missing flights, hotel stay, 2 separate flights to get home since our airline only flew out of Venice on weekends and we missed all possible flights. Any help/next steps would be greatly appreciated!!

Not only "stupid," but a clueless narcissist as well:

Irena Hrstic, director of Pula’s City Hospital, said Ms Longstaff had refused to release a statement because she “can’t understand why there is so much interest for her”.

This woman was supposedly employed as an Air Hostess for God's sake.

Don't we all have 'emotional' problems when we've been caught out red handed.

:evilsmile::evilsmile:

No not all of us have problems but she has and been an Air hostess doesn’t make you above having them.

She’s not killed anyone so get a grip instead of jumping on the “ she needs burning at the stake “ mob!

I have to say this thread has become very entertaining,

between people posting stuff without reading articles

wild speculation about spousal abuse continuing after the boyfriend was cleared by video

and the bleeding hearts crucifying anyone who may hurt somebody's feelings while claiming they are the good guys yet being just as rude if not more so.

If I were on the cruise, and my insurance wouldn't cover my costs I would surely be looking for a way to go after her or her insurance because that is potentially a ton of money.

With this being at least the second overboard in a few months maybe its time to look for insurance that covers delays for jumpers on board

I have to say this thread has become very entertaining,

between people posting stuff without reading articles

wild speculation about spousal abuse continuing after the boyfriend was cleared by video

and the bleeding hearts crucifying anyone who may hurt somebody's feelings while claiming they are the good guys yet being just as rude if not more so.

Well said. Especially the parts about the bleeding hearts.

With this being at least the second overboard in a few months maybe its time to look for insurance that covers delays for jumpers on board
To the best of my knowledge, most travel insurance would cover delayed arrivals, regardless of cause. Or did I misunderstand your point? (I suppose I've really opened the door for all the travel insurance cheerleaders to jump in and belittle anyone who doesn't purchase it).

To the best of my knowledge, most travel insurance would cover delayed arrivals, regardless of cause. Or did I misunderstand your point? (I suppose I've really opened the door for all the travel insurance cheerleaders to jump in and belittle anyone who doesn't purchase it).

Someone a few pages back was saying their insurance didn't cover them and they were out about $4000

I assumed it would cover the delays but who knows

Does anyone know what to do if your travel insurance doesn’t cover this incident? Just spoke with Gold Visa and they said no coverage. Sitting at about $4000 extra in charges for missing flights, hotel stay, 2 separate flights to get home since our airline only flew out of Venice on weekends and we missed all possible flights. Any help/next steps would be greatly appreciated!!

you could try a small claims against the "jumper" in the UK courts, doesn't cost much.

What is the insurance provider? did you print a copy of the coverage? You want to have that in hand and make them point out what exclusion is being applied. I would expect most policies to cover this as a trip delay event causing missed flights. Did NCL offer any assistance to passengers who would be missing flights? Sometimes they get carriers to loosen up and provide rescheduled flights without added costs.

Can you tell me what country your Gold Visa is from so I can look up the policy?

A lot of insurance companies train their people to look for a reason to deny at first and you should use their escalation/dispute resolution process.

you could try a small claims against the "jumper" in the UK courts, doesn't cost much.

I’m not sure UK county courts would have any jurisdiction regarding incidents in international or Croatian waters against a person who resides in Spain.

There are few UK policies which would provide full cover for some of the amounts being quoted, even with including Cruise Cover options.

Cruise Cover extensions typically cover arriving too late to join the cruise at initial port of departure, cabin confinement in the event of illness, cruise interruption if you are taken ashore for medical reasons and unused excursions if you are ill.

The travel delay section of UK travel policies usually pays a fixed amount (typically less than 100GBP after a delay of 12 hours with additional smaller payments for every subsequent 12 hours) in the event of a delayed or cancelled flight etc.

The missed departure section is the one most likely to cover this scenario. They usually read something like this

Covered

You are covered up to the limit as shown on the Schedule of Cover for necessary hotel and travelling

expenses incurred in reaching Your booked destination, if You arrive too late to commence Your booked

trip from or to Your normal Country of Residence as a result of:

a. The Public Transport in which You are travelling is delayed (You must obtain written

confirmation from the transport company)

b. The vehicle in which You are travelling being involved in an accident or breakdown, or You

being delayed as a result of a major accident on a motorway. In the event of a claim due to

vehicle breakdown or a road accident, You must obtain a police or roadside assistance report

c. Adverse weather conditions making it impossible to travel to the outbound departure point in

Your normal Country of Residence

The problem is what the insurance will pay for travel delays, it is often capped at $500.

There are few UK policies which would provide full cover for some of the amounts being quoted, even with including Cruise Cover options.

Cruise Cover extensions typically cover arriving too late to join the cruise at initial port of departure, cabin confinement in the event of illness, cruise interruption if you are taken ashore for medical reasons and unused excursions if you are ill.

The travel delay section of UK travel policies usually pays a fixed amount (typically less than 100GBP after a delay of 12 hours with additional smaller payments for every subsequent 12 hours) in the event of a delayed or cancelled flight etc.

The missed departure section is the one most likely to cover this scenario. They usually read something like this

Covered

You are covered up to the limit as shown on the Schedule of Cover for necessary hotel and travelling

expenses incurred in reaching Your booked destination, if You arrive too late to commence Your booked

trip from or to Your normal Country of Residence as a result of:

a. The Public Transport in which You are travelling is delayed (You must obtain written

confirmation from the transport company)

b. The vehicle in which You are travelling being involved in an accident or breakdown, or You

being delayed as a result of a major accident on a motorway. In the event of a claim due to

vehicle breakdown or a road accident, You must obtain a police or roadside assistance report

c. Adverse weather conditions making it impossible to travel to the outbound departure point in

Your normal Country of Residence

Yes, we have made made a successful claim in the past when our ship was a day late in arriving at the embarkation port owing to adverse weather. The reason for the delay is immaterial (as in point a above).

We don’t have special cruise cover only a general travel policy.

To add to the story, our ship was also day late in getting us to the disembarkation port and the insurance paid out for the flight amendment costs.