Self-Service Laundry

Aardvark

How often to people actually use the self-service laundry facilities? It would seem that they would be underused. Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks!

We used it twice on our 8 day Liberty cruise. First time was just to iron before formal nite -- all machines were quiet, no one around. Second time was our 6th day, a couple others were around, but no problem getting immediate access.

My wife is the "Laundry Goddess." She lives for laundry. We had an aft cabin on both the Pride and Legend which was right across from the laundry room. I think she picked the cabin just for location. She's an early riser so she had no difficulty getting access. Ironing was another matter on formal night.

I've never used the laundry rooms, but every time I've passed by one, there are always people in there doing their laundry or ironing...so I guess it's good they have them.

I didn't wash everything, but it's nice to be able to wash clothes after a trip to the beach.

We had spent 4 days in NOLA prior to our Sensation cruise in 2004. Rather than pack additional clothes we planned to wash half way thru our vacation. I did my laundry Sunday morning our cruise having left on Saturday. It was quite convenient and sure saved on luggage. I did see some people on our Valor cruise who took ALL their clothes to iron!:eek: They sure looked nice, but that's a lot of work!:rolleyes:

we use them when we take the kids. son is way to picky with pants, and the girls with their jeans (that they wear at night, not to the dinning room;) ) So we do one load and can pack lighter.

hubby and I are lazy and have been paying the $15 on day 4 to let the steward do them for us lately

if you bring a ziplock baggie of your detergent and pack dryer sheets, which I pack anyway inbetween clothes to keep them fresh smelling, you'll save there. II think it's about $4 for a wash and dry.

I have overheard a few curfluffles in the laundry room with some who have thrown their clothes into someone elses "paid" dryer... and another time someone removed someones clothes early to use their dry cycle.... honestly.... some people!

but generally it runs smoothly but I'd hesitate to leave a load and wander off too far, sad but thats how I feel.

I always plan to do laundry on vacation.

My kids want to re-wear thier favorites all the time.

I agree with the after-beach washing. So much nicer then having to rinse sand out of your bathing suit in the bathroom sink!

Do they sell detergent on board? I usually bring my own (powder) in a Ziploc bag or buy those detergent cubes, and pack some dryer sheets inside the suitcase to keep things fresh, then use them.

Never even thought of doing a laundry on board but on our last two cruises, I did a laundry. On our cruise last year the laundry was just around the corner from our room and very convenient. Just don't plan to do a laundry the last day of the cruise or you will be waiting in line. Also, if you plan to use the iron and ironing board on a formal day, better get there early to use it. People are lined up for that, too. (There were two ironing boards/irons in our laundry room on the Elation). I took a roll of quarters and my own little boxes of detergent and that helped. If you plan on doing a laundry, I suggest checking out the laundry room early on to see if there are any washers/dryers that are not working. That happened on one cruise and people were lined up all day. That may help determine when you will be washing/drying.

We just got off the Glory on Jan 7th. The laundry facilities were not very busy at all. The first night i went in to iron some clothes for dinner and i had to wait for one person. All the other days i went early afternoon and no one was there. Toward the end of the week i noticed that about half of the washing machines and dryers were in use. $2 to wash and $2 to dry. Twice during the week they had a special, you could fill a bag they give you with clothes and the steward would take it wash for you = $15.

hubby and I are lazy and have been paying the $15 on day 4 to let the steward do them for us lately

Actually $15 doesn't seem like a bad deal!

It would end up being like $4 a load anyway and I'd probably need to do one load of white and one load of dark. So that's $8 right there and if you count the time you'd spend actually doing it... time is money! Spending another 1 or 2 hours in the sun instead of in a laundry room is worth my $7.

How does that $15 thing work? Do they give you a laundry bag to fill up and you're charged for the bag rather than piece by piece?

Twice during the week they had a special, you could fill a bag they give you with clothes and the steward would take it wash for you = $15.

Thanks for answering my question!

I was typing it while you were answering it! :D

ESP!

Time spent doing laudry is miniscle if planned right-- I throw my laundry in in the morning-- then head to breakfast. by the time we get done breakfast the washer is just about done. I then throw it in the dryer and head to the cabin to get ready for the day...best time to do this is a port day while everyone is heading off. By the time the crowd diminishes my laundry is done and i head out..

Just recently off the Pride, here were the prices for the Laundry Room:

Wash - $2.00

Dry - $2.00

Detergent (Cheer or Tide) - $.50

Fabric Softener (Downey) - $.50

I do at least 1 load on a 7 day and 2 on an 8 day and maybe 3 of a 12 day sailing. Means less undies, etc. to pack to begin with. The so-called Laundry special is limited to undies, t-shirts, etc. and I really would prefer not to have someone else handling them...............just my little issue.

Archived