Scenic Low-Water-Level Schedule Changes/Cancellations

candf

Sunday 26: We left Jade at Regensburg this morning and after bus trips today we were transferred to Pearl at Linz this afternoon.

Pearl was at Passau this morning before returning downstream to Linz. I understand that passengers from Pearl were transferred to Jade. I assume our luggage was loaded onto Pearl when it was in Passau.

Hoping we can get to Budapest!

Sunday 26: We left Jade at Regensburg this morning and after bus trips today we were transferred to Pearl at Linz this afternoon.

Pearl was at Passau this morning before returning downstream to Linz. I understand that passengers from Pearl were transferred to Jade. I assume our luggage was loaded onto Pearl when it was in Passau.

Thanks for the update. Hope you make it to Budapest too.

We are sailing on the Opal out of Basel to Amsterdam on Sep 5th. Leaving Toronto on Aug 28 and doing a bunch of scenic train trips in Switzerland. I have been watching the Opal. It just got back to Amsterdam after an aborted trip to Budapest - in didn’t even get to Nuremberg. It is now scheduled to leave Amsterdam for Basel on the 29th. It will be interesting to see what its plans are for the next week.

This will be our second Scenic trip. We did Budapest to Nuremberg in June 2016. High rivers just impacted the last day. No real problem.

Anyone else on theOpal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are to leave Amsterdam on the Romantic Rhine and Moselle Cruise, Sept.5 on the Jasper. The Jasper is in Budapest right now and not following its posted schedule. I am assuming that it may not be able to return to Amsterdam before Sept.5. We have tried to call the Scenic update and information travel number 1-857-555-1200 but it is out of order. We are leaving from Toronto, August 31. It would really like to know more about Scenic’s plan going forward. Cancelling before we fly out of Canada would be preferred as it impacts travel insurance.

Not knowing some plan going forward adds undue stress to our holiday.

Would appreciate any news on the Jasper and the cruise on Sept.5.

Thanks and wishing everyone a rainy day soon!

Thanks! Keep posting! We leave Nuremberg on 20 Sept.

We are to leave Amsterdam on the Romantic Rhine and Moselle Cruise, Sept.5 on the Jasper. The Jasper is in Budapest right now and not following its posted schedule. I am assuming that it may not be able to return to Amsterdam before Sept.5. We have tried to call the Scenic update and information travel number 1-857-555-1200 but it is out of order. We are leaving from Toronto, August 31. It would really like to know more about Scenic’s plan going forward. Cancelling before we fly out of Canada would be preferred as it impacts travel insurance.

The fact that the Jasper is not where it needs to be doesn't mean in any way that the cruise will be cancelled. Lot's of ships aren't where they are supposed to be; it is quite possible that they will have you on a different ship. (This isn't obviously a guarantee that they won't cancel; but just that there have been a lot of swapping of ships going on.)

We were told that once a situation causes two ships to swap they take over each other’s schedule for the rest of the season. Unless another swap is needed.

You would know more if you could work out which ship is currently fulfilling Jasper’s role.

All the best!

Try calling the regular Scenic number at the top of the website and you should be able to get through to someone (although I found my call to be not very informative). We are supposed to board the Amber in Budapest this Thursday, and will post which ship if any.

RJKAJ, on Scenic's Canadian site this is the number for information to call:

Stay up-to-date with the latest information about necessary itinerary alterations.

If you have any questions or need further information please contact Customer Relations at 1(833) 228-8561or email info@scenic.ca

Mon-Fri, 6:00 AM – 5:00 PM, PST

Saturday 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM, PST

RJKAJ, on Scenic's Canadian site this is the number for information to call:

Stay up-to-date with the latest information about necessary itinerary alterations.

If you have any questions or need further information please contact Customer Relations at 1(833) 228-8561or email info@scenic.ca

Mon-Fri, 6:00 AM – 5:00 PM, PST

Saturday 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM, PST

Thank you.

Originally posted by RJKAJ
Thank you.

You're welcome.

If there is this level of politeness and helpfulness from Scenic passengers on board the ships we shall have a wonderful cruise!! :-)

I am not missing the bickering that seems to break out on the ocean cruising boards at all!!

We have arrived in Budapest. Transfer from airport to Marriott went smoothly. We received an email from Scenic. They generally only send them to the travel agent but if you put an email on your Trip Personaliser they send it to the guest as well. It says that the Pearl is here in Budapest, not the Amber and we will board the Pearl tomorrow. It also says Scenic Pearl suites may differ from Scenic Amber. It finally states that the upper Danube between Passau and Regensburg is experiencing low water levels and the cruise director will keep us informed. As an aside we met people traveling on Avalon and they said they have been getting regular updates via email. For those traveling in a few weeks I would not expect you will hear much in advance. As we have private touring tomorrow and will be quite busy I won’t have time to post tomorrow.

We have arrived in Budapest. Transfer from airport to Marriott went smoothly. We received an email from Scenic. They generally only send them to the travel agent but if you put an email on your Trip Personaliser they send it to the guest as well. It says that the Pearl is here in Budapest, not the Amber and we will board the Pearl tomorrow. It also says Scenic Pearl suites may differ from Scenic Amber. It finally states that the upper Danube between Passau and Regensburg is experiencing low water levels and the cruise director will keep us informed. As an aside we met people traveling on Avalon and they said they have been getting regular updates via email. For those traveling in a few weeks I would not expect you will hear much in advance. As we have private touring tomorrow and will be quite busy I won’t have time to post tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up. We just arrived in Budapest & received the same email from Scenic. Our TA spoke with Scenic yesterday and was assured we would be boarding the Amber in Budapest on Thursday—guess their communications department needs a little work :')

We are also touring tomorrow & then getting dropped off at the boat. Looking to a fabulous river cruise 🤞🏻

I’ll post with updates.

We are sailing on the Opal out of Basel to Amsterdam on Sep 5th. Leaving Toronto on Aug 28 and doing a bunch of scenic train trips in Switzerland. I have been watching the Opal. It just got back to Amsterdam after an aborted trip to Budapest - in didn’t even get to Nuremberg. It is now scheduled to leave Amsterdam for Basel on the 29th. It will be interesting to see what its plans are for the next week.

This will be our second Scenic trip. We did Budapest to Nuremberg in June 2016. High rivers just impacted the last day. No real problem.

Anyone else on theOpal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be on the Opal with another couple on he 5th out of Basel. The other couple is doing land portion starting on the 1st,so we will meet up with them in Basel.

Thanks for the heads up. We just arrived in Budapest & received the same email from Scenic. Our TA spoke with Scenic yesterday and was assured we would be boarding the Amber in Budapest on Thursday—guess their communications department needs a little work :')

We are also touring tomorrow & then getting dropped off at the boat. Looking to a fabulous river cruise 🤞🏻

I’ll post with updates.

Thanks for your input. We are to leave from Amsterdam on board the Jasper, Sept.5. Time will tell if this is possible.

We are to leave from Amsterdam on board the Jasper, Sept.5. Time will tell if this is possible.

I think it's safe to say that won't happen--the Jasper just arrived in Vienna today, so there's no way it will be in Amsterdam a week from now. Based on the current locations and directions of ships, my best guess is that you'll actually be boarding the Ruby. That's presuming that the Rhine Gorge remains passable--if not, it would have to be the Opal or Jewel, because they're the only ships downstream of the Gorge.

I think it's safe to say that won't happen--the Jasper just arrived in Vienna today, so there's no way it will be in Amsterdam a week from now. Based on the current locations and directions of ships, my best guess is that you'll actually be boarding the Ruby. That's presuming that the Rhine Gorge remains passable--if not, it would have to be the Opal or Jewel, because they're the only ships downstream of the Gorge.

Thanks Doug. We have heard nothing from Scenic to date. I have called and their agents have no information for us. Your comment is appreciated.

Opal and Jewel both appear to be en route to Basel. Notamermaid has reported that it’s been raining and river levels are finally rising a bit.

Apparently a Viking ship has made it through the gorge. The Scenic ships have shallower draft than Viking so it looks good for them to make it this trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Quick post, we arrived on the Pearl at 4pm local time, so far everything appears in order. Docked next to us was the Crystal. It’s now gone, not sure where it’s headed, if we hear anymore or need to ship swap will let you know.

Quick post, we arrived on the Pearl at 4pm local time, so far everything appears in order. Docked next to us was the Crystal. It’s now gone, not sure where it’s headed, if we hear anymore or need to ship swap will let you know.

Looks like Crystal is in Vienna. http://www.anyoverip.de/scenic/index.php?ship=Crystal&d=30&m=08&y=2018

We left the Pearl this morning. We were on Jade until Regensburg. Apart from the one ship swap the cruise was fairly straight forward.

I believe you have a different cruise director though.

Enjoy!