Scenic Low-Water-Level Schedule Changes/Cancellations

candf

Candf, thanks for keeping us informed of Scenic Jewel's progress. I hope your were able to navigate the Rhine Gorge today, and look forward to any future posts.

We will be boarding the Jewel on 9/10 in Amsterdam.

Successfully cruised the Rhine Gorge yesterday. Had a beautiful sunny day seeing the sights of Rüdesheim and amazing view riding the cable car. You’re able to walk back to the ship from Rüdesheim if you like or take the little train. There was a bbq on our return on outside deck. It did rain as we were passing the gorge, but non the less was quite lovely. Outside of a couple hiccups (see my previous posts), all is going well. Off to see Cochem this morning which is an hour coach ride from Koblenz. Overcast - but no rain at the moment.

Scenic Amber is now tied up beside us in Passau.

We cannot go any further and will do a ship swap on Monday.

Thanks for all the info. Do you know what ship you are swapping to and where you will end up?

We are scheduled to start in Nuremburg to Budapest on the 20th.

Does anybody care to speculate what the Amber is doing now? I believe it started a Jewels of Europe cruise in Budapest on the 3rd, and reached Passau today. Obviously it can't go beyond Passau to Regensburg as scheduled, but it also doesn't seem to be waiting in Passau. Instead it's been heading back downstream for the past few hours. Perhaps this is because there is no ship due to reach Regensburg until the 11th (the Jade), so a ship swap doesn't seem feasible at least for the next few days. Perhaps Scenic has abandoned hope of sticking at all close to the scheduled itinerary, and instead is doing something entirely different. But they, of course, won't give out any information to anybody who's not currently on that cruise. So does anybody have any guesses?

Does anybody care to speculate what the Amber is doing now? I believe it started a Jewels of Europe cruise in Budapest on the 3rd, and reached Passau today. Obviously it can't go beyond Passau to Regensburg as scheduled, but it also doesn't seem to be waiting in Passau. Instead it's been heading back downstream for the past few hours. Perhaps this is because there is no ship due to reach Regensburg until the 11th (the Jade), so a ship swap doesn't seem feasible at least for the next few days. Perhaps Scenic has abandoned hope of sticking at all close to the scheduled itinerary, and instead is doing something entirely different. But they, of course, won't give out any information to anybody who's not currently on that cruise. So does anybody have any guesses?

We were in Passau yesterday with the Scenic Amber. Overnight we moved back downstream to Aschach and today visited Linz instead of Regensburg. The movement of the ships is controlled by the river authority, they are told where to go and where to moor. All ships can’t stay at Passau, not enough room.

We do a ship swap tomorrow to our sister ship in Nuremburg.

If Amber and Jade are swapping, it will probably be a Passau (or nearby)/Nuremburg swap like we are doing.

We were in Passau yesterday with the Scenic Amber. Overnight we moved back downstream to Aschach and today visited Linz instead of Regensburg. The movement of the ships is controlled by the river authority, they are told where to go and where to moor. All ships can’t stay at Passau, not enough room.

We do a ship swap tomorrow to our sister ship in Nuremburg.

If Amber and Jade are swapping, it will probably be a Passau (or nearby)/Nuremburg swap like we are doing.

How was your swap?

I just got off the phone with the Scenic rep in Vancouver, BC and was told that all boats are presently functioning but there may be some small delays out of certain ports as things are moving slowly. He said that Scenic boats have a shallow draft so are able to get thru. There were some problems earlier in the season, but all boats are now cruising as usual. This applies to the Rhine.

Hopefully this is accurate info....

We were on the Scenic Opal on Aug. 20th and I can tell you that this ship did not get through. We were on the Opal for 4 days, given a long bus ride into a town and another long bus ride to transfer to the Ruby. We were on the Ruby for two nights and then transferred to the Amber for the remainder of our trip. Our trip was very hectic and tiring. We were looking forward to a leisurely vacation (as advertised). It did not happen. Strange information from your travel agent?

We were on the Scenic Opal on Aug. 20th and I can tell you that this ship did not get through. We were on the Opal for 4 days, given a long bus ride into a town and another long bus ride to transfer to the Ruby. We were on the Ruby for two nights and then transferred to the Amber for the remainder of our trip. Our trip was very hectic and tiring. We were looking forward to a leisurely vacation (as advertised). It did not happen. Strange information from your travel agent?

That's my biggest fear - constantly packing and unpacking my cabin!!! I'm not thrilled about the bus rides either so the combination certainly does have a negative impact on the overall vacation experience.

We boarded the Opal yesterday in Amsterdam, to start a Jewels of Europe cruise to Budapest. I talked to the cruise director last night about water levels, and was told that we didn't have anything to worry about for the first week (i.e., getting through the Rhine gorge). When I pressed her, however, she admitted that the second week could be a big problem--unless the weather forecast changes dramatically, we won't be able to get through from Regensburg to Passau. Even worse, when I asked her about a ship swap, she said that there probably wasn't going to be a ship available to swap to, so we might end up with bus/hotels in Vienna and Budapest. Obviously, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for rain, and that ship logistics might turn out better than she suspected, but I fear we could be ending up with a trip that is similar to the disaster reported here for the Amber a month ago. Ugh!! :loudcry:

We boarded the Opal yesterday in Amsterdam, to start a Jewels of Europe cruise to Budapest. I talked to the cruise director last night about water levels, and was told that we didn't have anything to worry about for the first week (i.e., getting through the Rhine gorge). When I pressed her, however, she admitted that the second week could be a big problem--unless the weather forecast changes dramatically, we won't be able to get through from Regensburg to Passau. Even worse, when I asked her about a ship swap, she said that there probably wasn't going to be a ship available to swap to, so we might end up with bus/hotels in Vienna and Budapest. Obviously, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for rain, and that ship logistics might turn out better than she suspected, but I fear we could be ending up with a trip that is similar to the disaster reported here for the Amber a month ago. Ugh!! :loudcry:

Oh, I do hope there is another ship for you. Please let us know, as you are aware, we are getting nothing from Scenic.

Oh, I do hope there is another ship for you. Please let us know, as you are aware, we are getting nothing from Scenic.

We too hope you get another ship! I am beginning to really wish we hadn't booked Scenic for next year, their service really doesn't seem to match their price point.

Hopefully your trip will be stress free and relaxing.

How was your swap?

Travelmarvel handled the ship swap extremely well.

We had our bags out by 7am, had breakfast, boarded buses (in Aschach) at 8.30am for Nuremburg. Rest stop saw Travelmarvel pay for entry to toilets. Arrived in Nuremburg around 1pm, free time for lunch, Travelmarvel gave each person €25 t pay for lunch.

We had a short city walk, then a bus tour of city landmarks.

We arrived at our identical sister ship around 5pm, went straight to “our” room where our bags and new keys were waiting for us.

We are aboard Scenic Jewel, and halfway through our 14 day itinerary. Left Amsterdam on 9/10 and spent lots of time in the Netherlands. We are now approaching Koblenz. There have been no changes to our planned ports. Plenty of ship traffic going north/south. Shoreline confirms low water levels, but so far, smooth sailing. Scenic is treating us well, with good service and food. For those with upcoming cruises, we hope all goes nicely for you!

Leaving today for Prague, ahead of our Gems tour from Nuremberg Thursday. Just spoke to Scenic, so far they said we're still leaving from Nuremberg. Will post updates starting Wednesday. Anyone on the Amber now?

I have been tracking the Amber and so far I can’t see that she has sailed past Passau. Maybe this week she will. I will continue to check daily and if you could post what happened when you arrive in Nuremberg, it would be great for people booked on the Gems of the Danube cruise.:)

I realise I haven't posted or cruised in quite a while and I only looked up this thread for a friend who like everyone is worried about low water levels. Somehow I'm not surprised that Scenic is still using its old tricks even after their massive payout to past Australian cruisers in the class action lawsuit they lost in similar circumstances, low water issues and their web of half truths. My friend will be praying for rain.

I realise I haven't posted or cruised in quite a while and I only looked up this thread for a friend who like everyone is worried about low water levels. Somehow I'm not surprised that Scenic is still using its old tricks even after their massive payout to past Australian cruisers in the class action lawsuit they lost in similar circumstances, low water issues and their web of half truths. My friend will be praying for rain.

I read that Scenic was appealing the verdict. Did they actually pay the money or is it still in the courts?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I read that Scenic was appealing the verdict. Did they actually pay the money or is it still in the courts?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe the case was finalised in 2017. Perhaps the attached news article may help. I'm an Australian and have never used Scenic and never will.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-31/scenic-tours-lose-class-action-over-bus-travel-europe-flood/8859668

I believe the case was finalised in 2017. Perhaps the attached news article may help. I'm an Australian and have never used Scenic and never will.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-31/scenic-tours-lose-class-action-over-bus-travel-europe-flood/8859668

So I have to question why you are posting on this site? I understand that you were checking water levels for a friend, but perhaps your comments should be kept to yourself, especially since you have never travelled Scenic.

Personally I am taking my first scenic cruise and look for the experiences of others who have travelled with them.

This and my own experiences with Scenic will let me decide on future travels with this company.