Whispering Around The World 2019

mysty

Greetings from Taormina, where we’re currently aboard Whisper. She is a lovely ship and we’re very envious of your world cruise.

We are looking forward to our world cruise in 2026 when we retire. Until then we love following along on blogs like yours and doing as many shorter cruises as we can.

• Like 1

Mysty & Myster, congrats on a great adventure, some very nice ports. I have to ask, how would you begin to pack for something like this? Granted, free laundry helps, but 132 days .... Yay, you are going to Sandakan, we were there in April, had a great time, and perhaps one of the best tour guides ever. Very jealous that you are hitting 1 port in Madagascar too. Alas, it's hard enough to get two weeks off for vacation in a row, guess I'll have to wait until a fortunate lottery win or retirement (with a lottery win). Trip of a lifetime Mysty, well done.

Jan

Thanks Jan! I have already started with packing lists. I took the ones from 2016 and pared them down substantially. I did over-pack for that trip and I hope I do a better job for this one.

J...we are two very lucky bumpkins! And we know that! :) I think I could manage to cut down the contents of one bag if you and Mrs J could contort enough to squeeze in.

Thanks Keith! Your advice was extremely helpful and much appreciated when I was planning for the 2016 adventure. Really looking forward to a second kick at the can! :)

Thanks DW! Myster and I are getting excited now. 138 days to sail away. Lists are in process and to-do list has been tackled. So far I think I have things under control (wait...is that laughter I hear from the universe?).

On another note....how are you feeling these days? On the road to recovery?

Hmmm, I am under 5' tall, I think I can fit into a carry-on if tempted. The other half is pushing 6', he can stay home, plus he travels plenty for work. Although, I am sure J & wifey would take far better pics, so I will give up my spot in the carry-on bag. That is wonderful that you've been able to do a WC before. Are these ports different from the first one? I looked at the list for 2019 and 2020 and was really surprised at how different they were - 2020 would be very challenging on the packing since it was hitting Antarctica as well as the warm ports. Some day .......

Jan

Gee Jan...if I left half of Myster's clothes behind we could fit you into another bag. No need to displace J and Mrs J. :) This cruise will hit 52 ports of which 37 will be new to us.(most of them on the second half of the cruise). I'm researching options for what to do in the various new ports as well as what to do in the ports we have visited before. For me the planning is half the fun.

I'm looking for some information on the logistics of contributing to the Crew Fund. From various posts it seems it is not possible to add the donation to your ship account. Can the donation be charged to a credit card?

On the Wind last March, following suggestions of those on this board, I went to the Reception desk on the penultimate day of the cruise. The woman who helped me went through a very thorough process of logging the donation and making sure that I saw it was going to the correct place -- I think that's why it needs to be done separately, and not just added to your account. She also said it needed to be cash , but I have since gathered that she was rather new at the process and didn't know how to charge it, or that she even could charge it. Thank goodness I still had an appropriate amount of cash left! If others have been able to charge their crew welfare fund donations, I hope to hear from them.

Also, mysty, like all the others, I love hearing the excitement in your voice about your upcoming world journey, and I can't wait to follow along with you as you go. What a delicious and daunting adventure!

Thanks so much for the link J! I must have missed that post. Appreciate the info!

Unibok.....thanks for adding your experience to the mix. Hopefully the reception staff on our adventure will be able to deal with a credit card. Also thanks for your kind words in support of our grand adventure! :)

And thanks Spins!!!!

In case anyone is interested in registering for the Meet & Mingle here is the link for Silversea:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcall/cruiselinel2.cfm?cruiselineid=35

First you select the ship. You will be brought to the page for the ship. There you select the cruise date. Cruise dates are by individual segments so you can choose as many of the 9 segments for the WC as you are interested in. Once the date is selected there will be a link below the date to give you the info on how many others have registered for the segment (with their CC names only). There are currently 6 people registered for the January 6 sail date.

No pressure to do this!!!! :)

Mysty

I see that one of the last tours on the cruise is a visit to the Royal Geographical Society. This I can highly recommend ( if you like nature and adventure) as we had a great evening there learning about the explorers of our planet. I was in heaven and did not want to leave and as usual asked too many questions. I dont know if you met Roberta Green wood a wonderful lady archaeologist but I very sorry to say that she passed on at the start of July. I will miss her greatly.

Joe

Edited by joe_90
missed word