Whispering Around The World 2019

mysty

4 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

It’s the last day.  Getting in to Greenwich late.  Been an an excellent WC, with wonderful people and great food.  Many excellent ports and wonderful WC events.  One strange item was we had to hav our fedex luggage out last night instead of tonight. Thanks to Misty, Turtlemichael and Lifegreat for a wonderful time.  We hope to see all on a future cruise.

I echo DCC's comments again!  🙂  And thanks to you DCC and HunE for a wonderful cruise!  It has been glorious!  Currently idling off the float that is apparently the Greenwich docking station.  We've been idling here for a while moving closer and then further away.  Face-to-face Immigration was estimated to be at approximately 1:15 pm.  It is now 1:46 pm and nothing seems to be happening.  

DSC08537.JPG.0854f4328b79c8fb074a25f401911dfe.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for the tales along the way,  just one last piece of info please - when it happens, can you post what tenders they use to take you ashore, and to which dock - presumably the Greenwich Pier just by the Cutty Sark?

Since I'm embarking there later this year, hopefully getting there by RiverBus, the info will be very useful!

PS Isn't it the Cup Final today? Starting imminently? I wonder if that affects who's working ... 

Edited by jollyjones

The immigration guys have been standing on the barge for an hour - a tantalizing 3 metres from Whisper! Now looks like the barge has been moved against the ship so maybe we'll get some action soon. Those Greenwich pubs we can see 100 metres away look too inviting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

Thanks for the tales along the way,  just one last piece of info please - when it happens, can you post what tenders they use to take you ashore, and to which dock - presumably the Greenwich Pier just by the Cutty Sark?

Since I'm embarking there later this year, hopefully getting there by RiverBus, the info will be very useful!

PS Isn't it the Cup Final today? Starting imminently? I wonder if that affects who's working ... 

We are using river cruise tenders and we are off the Greenwich Pier Dock.

Cup Final kicks off at 5pm and is NOT being shown on the Whisper sports channel. Some of the butlers are a little unhappy about this.

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

.....when it happens, can you post what tenders they use to take you ashore, and to which dock - presumably the Greenwich Pier just by the Cutty Sark?

DSC08543.JPG.6203353ed3a02ea48292f712cee71923.JPG

Sun Clipper is one of a fleet operated by MBNA Thames Clippers.  They operate a fleet of 17 high-speed catamarans.  We haven't gone ashore but it seems the ferry delivers you near the Cutty Sark.

7 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

One strange item was we had to hav our fedex luggage out last night instead of tonight.

From what I understand, somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 pieces of luggage are to be shipped via FedEx with another 500 or so pieces being carried by passengers.  Even execs from the U.S. have flown to London to greet passengers and assist accordingly.

• Like 2

We disembark tomorrow morning at 8:00 am.  This has been an incredible ride!  Thanks so much to all the excellent staff and crew on this journey!  They have all worked extremely hard to anticipate and deliver before you even realize that there is something you need or want!  Also thanks to our wonderful fellow passengers who have made this feel like a family!  It has all been an absolute delight!  When we get home and settled I hope to add more photos and I encourage others to consider doing the same.  🙂  Safe travels home all!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, mysty said:

We disembark tomorrow morning at 8:00 am.  This has been an incredible ride!  Thanks so much to all the excellent staff and crew on this journey!  They have all worked extremely hard to anticipate and deliver before you even realize that there is something you need or want!  Also thanks to our wonderful fellow passengers who have made this feel like a family!  It has all been an absolute delight!  When we get home and settled I hope to add more photos and I encourage others to consider doing the same.  🙂  Safe travels home all!

We have had a great double segment, wonderful crew, but the internet has been truly awful. Safe travels home!

We got home safely last evening after a nasty flight experience.  I do not like traveling by air!  Today was spent dealing with the slap in the face that is the return to reality.  I much prefer the bubble of fantasy that exists on the Lady Whisper!  🙂  Hope everyone arrived safely at their planned destinations!

• Like 2

Flight was boarded on time.  Very full flight.  Ten minutes before take-off the pilot announces that an "issue" has been identified in the pre-flight check.  Maintenance staff were on board to address the "issue".  This continued for about 45 minutes.  The pilot was great about keeping us in the loop.  Finally the pilot announced that the "issue" had been determined to not affect the safety of the flight and that we would be taking off.  OOOOPS!  The tractor to pull us out of the gate had disconnected and left.  Now we would need to wait for another tractor and also we would need to refuel.  Further delay.  We left about 2 hours late.  On the flight no tap water was available.  Therefore no coffee or tea.  And moist towelettes were piled in all washroom sinks for clean up.  We landed in a thunderstorm.  Touch down was rough!  Then, ground crew could not unload the plane due to the dangerous weather conditions.  We waited and waited and waited and waited for the luggage to arrive at the carousel.  We finally got home about 4 hours after our planned arrival.  Not the best ending for our wonderful cruise. 

How did you guess?  🙂  Yes, Air Canada.  I think the problem may be related to the grounding of the Boeing 737 Max 8's.  Air Canada had many of those planes in their fleet.  They may be pulling other older planes in to fill the void.

We're flying American to Miami in December non-stop (won't take 2 planes to get to Ft. Lauderdale.  We'll be on an Airbus.312.  Last year, there were so many wanting the same flight (most passengers from San Francisco were going on a cruise) that they changed to a Boeing 767...great first class pods.  We always stay two nights in the embark port just in case of problems,

After takeoff, I walk through the cabin to ask if anyone will be on our cruise...there's always at least two couples.

• Like 1

Welcome home M. It’s so good to have you back after your amazing travels. I’m so sorry to hear that your flight home wasn’t up to muster but I hope it doesn’t spoil your memories of the most amazing adventure. I’ve cherished every minute and memory of your travels and hope that 1 day i’ll Be able to do something similar. xxx

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Welcome home M. It’s so good to have you back after your amazing travels. I’m so sorry to hear that your flight home wasn’t up to muster but I hope it doesn’t spoil your memories of the most amazing adventure. I’ve cherished every minute and memory of your travels and hope that 1 day i’ll Be able to do something similar. xxx

Thanks so much DW!  It's good to be home although the return to reality has been jarring!  I don't think there is anything that would tarnish my memories of the adventure!  I'm so happy that you enjoyed riding along.  And yes, if you can, this is an experience that is worth the money in more ways than one!  Spending 4.5 months with people allows you to connect on something more than a superficial level.  It becomes like a family warts and all!  🙂

I do have to say that the World Cruise events and Silversea Experiences on the 2019 blew the 2016 out of the water!  That added to the enjoyment!  I am not a Silversea cheer leader (although I may sound like one).  I struggle to see the glass as half full at times.  In this instance there was no such struggle!

• Like 4

So glad to hear that the WC events and Silversea Experiences were so special.  We only went to the Goree Island dinner and thought it was magnificent especially the fireworks.  What a great way to end such a wonderful evening.

Welcome home and back to reality.  We are already struggling with getting everything done around the house.  I'm looking forward to our next adventure in August.

Hope our paths cross again.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

Welcome home and back to reality.  We are already struggling with getting everything done around the house.  I'm looking forward to our next adventure in August.

Hope our paths cross again.

Yes indeed!  Return to reality has been a struggle!  The time spent in the bubble was well worth the current struggle though.  🙂

And yes, we are hoping our paths cross again!

4 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

We are bearing the burden for all of you who have returned to the real world.  We are having a a week in Paris followed by another one in London. Someone has to do it.

And we appreciate your sacrifice Turtle!  🙂  Have a wonderful time!  In the meantime I have attached your photo to my dart board.  Lucky for you my hand/eye coordination is not very good!

• Haha 2

Much easier to add some additonal photos from here.  🙂  Here is the Lady Whisper at anchor in our first port after San Francisco......Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands.....

DSC05280.JPG.310f3775b78f2a9a4600d305a22c7f5d.JPG

• Like 1