Whispering Around The World 2019

mysty

Just disembarked the Whisper this morning and everyone has their own opinion but we found Asst Maitre D Mary Anne to be charming efficient and a lovely young lady. We were happy to sit at whatever table we were assigned.

• Like 1

Thank you Mysty yes loved being back on the wonderful Whisper. Great company with fellow Brits lots of Canadians and Australians onboard. One couple from the USA with whom we disagreed thought that the Whisper should be retired as she was old !! They preferred Regent with the free excursions!! Didn’t get my point that nothing is free. Staff on board were wonderful and we enjoyed our two weeks back home to cooking and cleaning.

Enjoyed your world cruise reports it must have been tremendous

Donna

• Like 1

Wow, so many pictures and places I've never heard of! I need to have a look at my map...

Enjoying the recap and pictures. It makes the sadness less acute. I didn't want your cruise to end either! 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 2:37 PM, Elginjock said:

Just disembarked the Whisper this morning and everyone has their own opinion but we found Asst Maitre D Mary Anne to be charming efficient and a lovely young lady. We were happy to sit at whatever table we were assigned.

I'm glad to hear that you had such a positive experience.  My guess was that she was just overwhelmed by the vagaries of the personalities on the World Cruise, but none the less, it did detract a bit from the usual experience in the MDR.  Gilbert was hovering which made me wonder whether there had been complaints.  In any event, I wish her well and hope that the WC was a learning experience for her.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

I'm glad to hear that you had such a positive experience.  My guess was that she was just overwhelmed by the vagaries of the personalities on the World Cruise, but none the less, it did detract a bit from the usual experience in the MDR.  Gilbert was hovering which made me wonder whether there had been complaints.  In any event, I wish her well and hope that the WC was a learning experience for her.

I think there is an added "tension" when dealing with repeat World Cruisers that plays into the table assigment.  Many don't care where they are seated.  Some have favourite tables.  It is a delicate dance to accommodate all.  A few missteps might be part of the game.  Experience will add to the smoothness and elegance of the dance.  🙂

• Like 1

Hello to all who have shared so much wonderful information in this 'thread'.

I'm new to these message boards, have sailed with SS before - and will be sailing again (Baltic) this July.

However, the reason that I read through all 48 pages of this topic is because I'm confirmed for the 2020 World Cruise - and am beside myself with excitement.

Reading all of your 'tips' for organizing, packing and getting a sense of the social atmosphere onboard has been extraordinarily helpful.  (And, yes, I realize each cruise is different, but I think the major themes that were discussed here can be applied broadly).

Thanks to all for the enjoyable read.  It sounds like you all had a wonderful time, and I can't wait for my departure in 2020!

(ps - grateful for any advice anyone would like to share!)

Best,

"NYadgal"   (Call me 'Addy')  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NYadgal - welcome to WC 2020.  We will be back for our 4th SS WC.  This cruise will be completely different than other WC as there are nearly 300 guests sailing on the full WC (in 2018 and 2918, there were only 198 and 220, respectively).  A couple of suggestions come to mind - bring a night light to plug into the bathroom shaver outlet so it's not pitch black in the middle of the night.  Also, we bring lots of magnetic hooks to hang up various items such as purses, hats, a wall calendar, etc.  I believe all Vista and Veranda suites have two USB outlets by the nightstands,  but do not believe that the Silver Suites have them (we had friends staying in one),  Not sure about the other higher up suites.  You can contact your travel agent about any special requests - I drink Pepsi Max, which they don't usually stock.  Our friends liked a specific type of cereal for breakfast.  

Although SS promised improvements, such as adding a third satellite, be prepared for really slow internet (thin dial up modem speeds).  Also, with that many WCs, be prepared for the bar to be packed with guests for pre-dinner cocktails (It was packed this year with 220 WCs).

I'll try and answer any questions.  If you are interested most of the shore excursions are listed along with some of the overland tours.  You can't book them until 120 days before the cruise, but some book up quickly.  And many of the overlands have very limited space.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYadgal said:

(ps - grateful for any advice anyone would like to share!)

Best,

"NYadgal"   (Call me 'Addy')  

DCC gave some wonderful suggestions Addy!  I would suggest signing up for the Meet & Mingle at the beginning of your grand adventure.  It gives you the chance to meet folks you might like to spend time with as the cruise progresses.  Have an awesome sail!

DCCruiser57 and mysty - thank you both very much for the tremendous insight, helpful information and for the welcome!

i don’t want to take up any more space in this thread - as it’s about your WC2019 - but I want to say thank you and will follow your advice!   I appreciate it very much!  

(Very interesting about the increased number of the full world cruisers.   I know the 2020 itinerary drew many people in!)

Edited by NYadgal
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NYadgal said:

DCCruiser57 and mysty - thank you both very much for the tremendous insight, helpful information and for the welcome!

i don’t want to take up any more space in this thread - as it’s about your WC2019 - but I want to say thank you and will follow your advice!   I appreciate it very much!  

(Very interesting about the increased number of the full world cruisers.   I know the 2020 itinerary drew many people in!)

Addy.....please feel free to post here with questions or whatever!  The original intent of this thread was to provide an all-in-one place for information, suggestions, colour commentary and photos with contributions by whoever wanted to join the "party".   This thread is not proprietary.  🙂  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, NYadgal said:

However, the reason that I read through all 48 pages of this topic is because I'm confirmed for the 2020 World Cruise - and am beside myself with excitement.

Congratulations Addy!  Your excitement is palpable and I also look forward to following your adventures this summer in the Baltic as it is a region we haven't visited yet.

5 hours ago, mysty said:

Addy.....please feel free to post here with questions or whatever!  The original intent of this thread was to provide an all-in-one place for information, suggestions, colour commentary and photos with contributions by whoever wanted to join the "party".   This thread is not proprietary.  🙂  

Mysty, you are a gem. This kind and welcoming response to Addy's question was in such stark contrast to a response on another "live from" thread that I used to follow.

Someone popped into that thread with a question about one of the ports, and was asked to start a new post so as to not drag the OP's trip report off topic. I like your approach so much better!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Mysty, you are a gem. This kind and welcoming response to Addy's question was in such stark contrast to a response on another "live from" thread that I used to follow.

Someone popped into that thread with a question about one of the ports, and was asked to start a new post so as to not drag the OP's trip report off topic. I like your approach so much better!

Thanks JP!  Really it is all about treating people the way you would like to be treated.  Nothing more magical than that!  And I think the lovely folks who have been chiming in on this thread have a common generosity of spirit.  That is what makes this thread work!  🙂 

And I should add that I am not a saint!  Myster can vouch for that!  🙂

Edited by mysty
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

M, You're maybe not a saint, but you're the most perfect Canadian xxx

Can you hear Myster laughing?  🙂  There is very little perfect about me DW!  I do, however, thank you for your very kind words!  Your cruise is coming up soon and we wish you a most wonderful sail!

12 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

We'll give you a wave as we fly into Vancouver!

You'll have to start waving well before Vancouver DW!  🙂  We're just a few provinces in from the Atlantic Ocean.  Lots of land between us and Vancouver!

2 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Can wave for several hours if required! On the scale from 1 to 10 how far across Canada do I need to start waving

?

map-of-canada.jpg

OK DW, do you see Ottawa (red circle with a black dot inside)?  That's where we are.  Track well to the west past Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and most of BC and you will find Vancouver ( almost directly west of us).  You will be waving for about 5 hours.  Ha Ha!

So according to my extremely convoluted equations, around 6 hours and 23 minutes into our 9 hour flight that leaves Manchester at 11.25 and arrives at Vancouver at 12.55 I'll start waving about 2/3rds of the way through. Left or right window? 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1