Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Yes but it’s not always $19.95. Recently because of taxes it was $24 a day 

Thanks. Now added to the spreadsheet, including regarding tax.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE

PDF version link https://www.dropbox.com/s/b11u8k5z34b535q/Tips for Azamara Newbies.xlsx?dl=0

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising
  • Like 1

Confession, I don't know how to search within a post.  So I hate asking what are undoubtedly repeats, but I don't have another choice.

So here goes:  my husband has a great sensitivity to gluten.  Does Azamara have gluten-free versions of things on the menus?  He doesn't drink much so beer isn't an issue. But some places do offer options.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

Confession, I don't know how to search within a post.  So I hate asking what are undoubtedly repeats, but I don't have another choice.

So here goes:  my husband has a great sensitivity to gluten.  Does Azamara have gluten-free versions of things on the menus?  He doesn't drink much so beer isn't an issue. But some places do offer options.

Thanks!

Yes Azamara does have gluten free choices that are clearly marked. It’s also a good idea to let Azamara know ahead of your cruise by emailing special_needs@azamaraclubcruises.com.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Yes Azamara does have gluten free choices that are clearly marked. It’s also a good idea to let Azamara know ahead of your cruise by emailing special_needs@azamaraclubcruises.com.

Honestly don't know what I would've done with out Grandma.  Thank you so much for all you do.

• Like 2

There’s another topic in this forum about checking in at the pier. Azamarajunkie confirmed that all they needed was their passports and Azamara Boarding Passes. As they had uploaded photos onto the website, they didn’t even need to have their photos taken for their keycard.

In the Azamara forum there is a post from someone wondering about how to use OBC acquired as part of an Experience More package to pay for already booked and paid for shore excursions. Uktog came up with the answer which is:-

Once onboard speak to Guest Relations before you take the land discovery and ask them to reverse the charging of your excursions.  If you are only buying the package once onboard you do it at the same time as buying the package

They will refund the excursions cost as OBC in the first instance but the important thing is it’s refundable OBC so at the end of the cruise it goes back to your card. 

I'm not sure where to ask this question but I'm wondering about the average Azamara passenger.  What type of people cruise Azamara? I'm going to Antarctica in Jan, 2020 and first time on Azamara. The roll call has been almost nonexistent, with very few people and not much interaction.  I travel solo and have never had a problem on other cruise lines with meeting people but I'm wondering about the makeup of Azamara passengers.  And I'm not being critical, just curious!! 😀

Thanks, Sue

1 hour ago, bjbear said:

I'm not sure where to ask this question but I'm wondering about the average Azamara passenger.  What type of people cruise Azamara? I'm going to Antarctica in Jan, 2020 and first time on Azamara. The roll call has been almost nonexistent, with very few people and not much interaction.  I travel solo and have never had a problem on other cruise lines with meeting people but I'm wondering about the makeup of Azamara passengers.  And I'm not being critical, just curious!! 😀

Thanks, Sue

Hi Sue, I sailed with Azamara for the first time back in April (you probably know I sail solo). I met various folks. It was an ok experience. Overall I had a good time but I don't have anything else booked with them.

I do know there are other solo cruisers who love them. I met a gal who sails solo exclusively with them so

for her, they are her "Go To".  So, like anything else, it is different strokes for different folks.

Oh, I will say, I am 61 and I am guessing the majority of passengers were probably 10 years older  than me (or more). I don't care about that part but just giving you a heads up.

I hope you have a great cruise:classic_smile:

1 hour ago, bjbear said:

Thanks, Sue

We have been on 2 Az cruises.  Most folks were couples, but there were some singles.  Age range 50-80 approximate.  No kids, except officers children.  Staff ratio, 400 for 680 pax.  Service is outstanding!!!

1 hour ago, bjbear said:

Thanks, Sue

My husband and I have done multiple Azamara cruises and I don't think there is an average passenger.  There are those that stay in their room and come out for meals and those that join in in everything. Some are social and some stick to their small group.  Most are happy to be cruising.  We have traveled with lots of solo travelers that particularly like the community table at dinner in Discoveries.  Average age is probably 50-80 but we are seeing more young couples lately.  Roll calls are more active if someone is on the cruise that likes posting stuff but the lack of activity may be due more to not having private tour guides for Antarctica.

I agree with PirateWife's comments. We were on the Antarctica cruise this January (our fourth Azamara cruise) and had a great time. I wouldn't worry too much about the roll call at this point; it will probably pick up as the cruise gets closer. (We, on the other hand, are considering a last-minute booking for a cruise in August, and the almost non-existent roll call for that does have me concerned...)

I think it’s right that roll calls are much more active where cruises involve ports where cruisers are likely to want to book independent excursions and/or where they are new or unusual destinations. Examples of really busy roll calls are for cruises such as Alaska to Japan, South Africa, Norway.

We have just returned from the Quest June 14 Alaska sailing. First time cruisers so I read this entire thread beforehand and it was so helpful. Thanks to all! I have some updates:

Our club veranda stateroom did not have binoculars or a bedside clock. We asked about the binoculars and were told we would need to rent them. (not sure if that's on the ship?) 

There is, in fact, a ton of room under that extremely comfortable bed! We had a monster suitcase that easily fit underneath. 

Sadly, there was no chocolate buffet on our cruise. 

White night was held in the living room and we don't believe it was because of weather. We think it has something to do with having music and announcements out on the deck in Alaska. It was extremely crowded and loud in the living room. We left soon after it started - really disappointing. 

Enjoyed our cruise! Excellent service from every crew member! 

When we sailed on the Pursuit there was not a clock or binoculars.  The clocks that Azamara had on their ships were impossible for the average intelligence passenger to set.  I think we could get binoculars on the ship.  We were told passengers kept taking them.  White Night out on the deck is awesome but noisy.  Sorry you didn't get to experience it.

28 minutes ago, PirateWife said:

When we sailed on the Pursuit there was not a clock or binoculars.  The clocks that Azamara had on their ships were impossible for the average intelligence passenger to set.  I think we could get binoculars on the ship.  We were told passengers kept taking them.  White Night out on the deck is awesome but noisy.  Sorry you didn't get to experience it.

On our Med cruise last year on Quest, we had neither binoculars nor an umbrella and were told they were not available 😟

Thank you so much for your responses to my "passenger" question. I never even considered that roll call activity would be sparse due to very few independent tours!!  I also went back and read recent Pursuit reviews and am convinced I made a great choice!!! 🙂

Thanks, Sue

Thanks for the updates regarding binoculars, clocks, umbrellas and white night. I have amended the spreadsheet accordingly.  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE

I think I’ll also start a new topic in the Azamara Forums asking Bonnie if she can find out more about binoculars, umbrellas and clocks. I just had a look on Azamara’s website and in the description of stateroom it definitely says ‘use of binoculars and umbrellas’.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

3 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Thanks for the updates regarding binoculars, clocks, umbrellas and white night. I have amended the spreadsheet accordingly.  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE

I think I’ll also start a new topic in the Azamara Forums asking Bonnie if she can find out more about binoculars, umbrellas and clocks. I just had a look on Azamara’s website and in the description of stateroom it definitely says ‘use of binoculars and umbrellas’.

Thanks, HGC! Given how rainy Alaska can be, I’ll bring my own umbrella just in case.

4 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I am pretty sure that you now have to ask at Guest Relations to borrow binoculars.  They are no longer in the room.  My experience of those provided are they are useless.  The optics in them a terrible and you are better off bringing your own if you can.

Phil

12 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

On our Med cruise last year on Quest, we had neither binoculars nor an umbrella and were told they were not available 😟

Just off the Quest on 14 June.  We had both binoculars and umbrella in our cabin.

I would, somewhat, agree with Phil about the usefulness of the provided binoculars.  Poor quality, but not entirely "useless".

Never bothered with attempting to set/use the clock.  My watch, phone and cabin TV made time checks very easy.  Wake-up calls can be easily arranged.

NRayH

Edited by Ray in NH
added comments

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I am pretty sure that you now have to ask at Guest Relations to borrow binoculars.  They are no longer in the room.  My experience of those provided are they are useless.  The optics in them a terrible and you are better off bringing your own if you can.

Phil

Quite agree - we always take our own.

9 minutes ago, Ray in NH said:

Just off the Quest on 14 June.  We had both binoculars and umbrella in our cabin.

I would, somewhat, agree with Phil about the usefulness of the provided binoculars.  Poor quality, but not entirely "useless".

Never bothered with attempting to set/use the clock.  My watch, phone and cabin TV made time checks very easy.  Wake-up calls can be easily arranged.

NRayH

We take a travelling alarm clock wherever we go!

3 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

We take a travelling alarm clock wherever we go!

That would work.  We are still "working toward" a minimalist mode of packing, and try not to take anything that we can easily do without.  It is still "A work in-progress".

NRayH

I have some questions about Azamazing Evenings. How do you find out if one is included on your sailing? If there is, is there room for everyone who wants to go and do you need to pre-register or is this something you do on board