Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

I have a lactose intolerance but I don't want to be on a lactose free diet on the cruise.  This is because, apart from milk with breakfast cereals, I deal with everything by taking lactase tablets. Can anyone tell me whether lactose free milk is generally available at breakfast or will I have to complete a special needs form?

19 hours ago, amp-qld said:

I have a lactose intolerance but I don't want to be on a lactose free diet on the cruise.  This is because, apart from milk with breakfast cereals, I deal with everything by taking lactase tablets. Can anyone tell me whether lactose free milk is generally available at breakfast or will I have to complete a special needs form?

DW has been able to get lactose free milk.

On 9/20/2019 at 3:29 AM, Tom47 said:

DW has been able to get lactose free milk.

On 9/19/2019 at 7:38 AM, amp-qld said:

Can’t comment if it’s generically available, but you can select it as one of the options on the Special Needs form.

That choice is separate from identifying oneself as lactose intolerant.

Would anyone know if there is a shelf inside the Club Continent Suites on the Pursuit with the shower that we can put shampoo, etc on?  I usually bring a small holder that sticks onto the tub or tile surfaces but if I don't need then that saves space.

Also, I thought that Azamara had a video on their website of the various cabins, but I can't find it now.  I thought maybe with a 360 video I could see for myself, but now I can't find the videos on their website.

4 hours ago, Lynda S said:

Would anyone know if there is a shelf inside the Club Continent Suites on the Pursuit with the shower that we can put shampoo, etc on?  I usually bring a small holder that sticks onto the tub or tile surfaces but if I don't need then that saves space.

Also, I thought that Azamara had a video on their website of the various cabins, but I can't find it now.  I thought maybe with a 360 video I could see for myself, but now I can't find the videos on their website.

Can’t answer your question about a shelf in the shower in a CC Suite from experience as I’ve never been in one, but I found these 2 photos which show that there is shelving in both the CC Suite bathroom types. I also this video showing the 2016 refurb  https://www.youtube.com/embed/p4h3X3VHZ0o?rel=0

D60D3808-DC38-4B0B-A867-5B6D0209060F.png

72A93BE4-A602-408C-B27B-8580B2DA6D90.png

• 2 weeks later...

It looks to me that if I have 30 "Royal Caribbean Crown and Anchor" points, I would qualify for Azamara's Le Club Voyage Explorer Tier.  Am I correct?

I currently have 29 C&A points, so it would require another cruise on RCL to earn the one point that I'm short.  Although it might be cheaper just to pay for the internet and laundry on an upcoming Azamara cruise, I'm considering doing a "knots run" (like frequent fliers do a "mileage run") just to get the elevated status for this and any future cruises.  

Would this technique work?

30 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

It looks to me that if I have 30 "Royal Caribbean Crown and Anchor" points, I would qualify for Azamara's Le Club Voyage Explorer Tier.  Am I correct?

I currently have 29 C&A points, so it would require another cruise on RCL to earn the one point that I'm short.  Although it might be cheaper just to pay for the internet and laundry on an upcoming Azamara cruise, I'm considering doing a "knots run" (like frequent fliers do a "mileage run") just to get the elevated status for this and any future cruises.  

Would this technique work?

You’re right about the reciprocal levels. With less than 30 C & A points you would be Adventurer level on Azamara. Not sure what you mean by doing a ‘knots run’ unless you meant do a short RCCL cruise to give you more points. I guess that would cost you more than paying for your WiFi and laundry. Don’t forget there’s a free laundry room on Azamara with washers, driers & irons, including free detergent. Also on many cruises Azamara does an offer of a bag of laundry for $40 - and you can get a lot in the laundry bag if you roll stuff tight.

As an Adventurer you’d get $40 off a full WiFi package, as an Explorer you’d get $70 towards your WiFi package - only $30 difference. A couple of things to think about -if you book a suite you get 240 minutes free WiFi time pp and a laundry bag a week per stateroom. 
If the cruise you are looking at is over 14 days you could look at one of the experience more packages - they can be very good value on longer cruises. https://www.azamara.co.uk/booked-guests/onboard-packages/experience-more-packages

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

On 9/2/2018 at 3:47 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Azamara’s loyalty club is Le Club Voyage (LCV) and has reciprocal arrangements with Celebrity Captain’s Club and Royal Caribbean Crown & Anchor.

I understand that if I am a Platinum RCL Crown & Anchor, I would be an Azamara Le Club Voyage Explorer.  If I then earn 150 Azamara Club Points by sailing Azamara, would I then have a total of 300 LCV points and be at the Discoverer level in LCV or would I still be Explorer until I earn 300 LCV points?  In other words, do LCV points go on top of reciprocal points? 

4 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

I understand that if I am a Platinum RCL Crown & Anchor, I would be an Azamara Le Club Voyage Explorer.  If I then earn 150 Azamara Club Points by sailing Azamara, would I then have a total of 300 LCV points and be at the Discoverer level in LCV or would I still be Explorer until I earn 300 LCV points?  In other words, do LCV points go on top of reciprocal points? 

I’m sorry, I can’t answer that. I had a look at the terms and conditions for LCV, and the only mention of points earned being directly transferable was between Celebrity’s Captains Club and Azamara’s LCV.  I think that it would be best for you to email LCV to ask this question at  LeClubVoyage@azamara.com.

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I’m sorry, I can’t answer that. I had a look at the terms and conditions for LCV, and the only mention of points earned being directly transferable was between Celebrity’s Captains Club and Azamara’s LCV.  I think that it would be best for you to email LCV to ask this question at  LeClubVoyage@azamara.com.

Points are shared between Celebrity and Az.  RCI and Az only share status up to Diamond/Discover.

I’ve no personal experience, but I had a look at the spreadsheet in the ‘Azamara Cabins Thread’ in this forum.

Looking at the Quest deck plan cabins 8010 & 8012 are now right underneath the smoking area and there are no comments about smelling smoke in the reports about those cabins. The only warning is I don’t know how old the information is - before the last refurbishment the smoking area was at the opposite side above 8011 & 8015. There are no reports about those cabins in the spreadsheet.

Maybe someone with direct experience of the cabins below the smoking area can give you better information.

Here’s the relevant thread - see page 25, post #633 for the link to the spreadsheet.

There is no way really for smoke to escape downwards from the smoking area. It is enclosed on two sides, and the smoke can only really dissipate outwards onto the deck and then upwards.

There is possibly more likelihood of late night deck noise, as the smoking area is used long after people have stopped using the rest of the pool deck.

Edited by SteveH2508
added deck noise thought
  • Like 1

Thank you both for you information.  Our wonderful TA is moving us to the other side of the ship.  The chair scrapping was also a concern but having asthma smoke is a serious issue for me.  HGC your spreadsheet is amazing!  I did go through it first before I posted my question.  We are very excited for our first cruise on Azamara!  Thank you HGC & SteveH2508!

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 1:12 PM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I emailed Le Club Voyage on Sunday, but have not heard back.  How long should I expect to wait for an answer?

21 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I’ve usually had an answer back in a week or so. If you don’t, I’d try again.

I received an answer this morning.  In part, this is what is says,

"The only way to obtain points for your Le Club Voyage, is to sail with Azamara or Celebrity.
 After the loyalty numbers are created, we cannot transfer points from Royal to Azamara 
and vise-versa."
Edited by islandwoman
  • Thanks 1

A question that will have experienced cruisers saying "it's obvious"!

How does the ship adjust for time zones? Does ship time change on arrival in port or overnight between ports? I can see how a misunderstanding could result in a missed excursion.

1 hour ago, Richteab said:

A question that will have experienced cruisers saying "it's obvious"!

How does the ship adjust for time zones? Does ship time change on arrival in port or overnight between ports? I can see how a misunderstanding could result in a missed excursion.

Good question - There are many ways you will find out

1.  Waiters often remind you of an upcoming time change the evening before at dinner

2.  The cruise director usually repeats this at the end of the show

3.  The Insider on your bed at turndown will have the time change in it on the front page - although sometimes the cards mentioned in the previous post are still used they are not always so they can reduce the recycling load

4.  The stateroom attendant usually changes the bedside clock (if you have one)

5.  The TVs have been left on with a message of the change - even if the TV has gone off to sleep and you only have the screensaver showing you will know that is a time change and can check it out as they do not leave your TV on in other situations

Wherever they can they try and do a time change where there is a sea day the next day to avoid missed excursion issues (it is not always possible but where it is that is the approach).  They once on a transatlantic tried to do the time change during the day, I have not seen that experiment repeated, we enjoyed it but I know it wasn't entirely popular.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, uktog said:

Good question - There are many ways you will find out

1.  Waiters often remind you of an upcoming time change the evening before at dinner

2.  The cruise director usually repeats this at the end of the show

3.  The Insider on your bed at turndown will have the time change in it on the front page - although sometimes the cards mentioned in the previous post are still used they are not always so they can reduce the recycling load

4.  The stateroom attendant usually changes the bedside clock (if you have one)

5.  The TVs have been left on with a message of the change - even if the TV has gone off to sleep and you only have the screensaver showing you will know that is a time change and can check it out as they do not leave your TV on in other situations

Wherever they can they try and do a time change where there is a sea day the next day to avoid missed excursion issues (it is not always possible but where it is that is the approach).  They once on a transatlantic tried to do the time change during the day, I have not seen that experiment repeated, we enjoyed it but I know it wasn't entirely popular.

We had that time change situation on a T/P on HAL in 2011 and we really liked it!! Somehow it seemed easier!! But we were also going from the west coast of the US to Australia so they were adding hours not taking them away!! That could have been part of it!! What did others not like about it? 

It was done on a westbound Transatlantic- an extra hour was added at noon but people moaned it was confusing when making arrangements and made it too long until dinner. I quite liked it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

It was done on a westbound Transatlantic- an extra hour was added at noon but people moaned it was confusing when making arrangements and made it too long until dinner. I quite liked it. 

We were also on a transatlantic cruise that did the time change at noon and we liked it, I do remember people complaining to the Captain in a question and answer session.

A lady said who gave you the authority to do that?, the Captain just smiled and pointed to the rings on his sleeve.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2