Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

5 hours ago, shaznmike54 said:

all , is it best to pre book excursions or wait until on ship and book then or join others ?

shaz and mike uk

It depends on your preference for group size on any given tour.

Some ship's tours are small group because of the nature of the tour and associated cost.

Most ship's tours vary between 25 and 50 people (although buses were not being filled when cruising recommenced to allow social distancing - not sure now).

Often tour prices are less by around US$10 when booked before the cruise. If the price goes down after boarding, you may be able to cancel and re-book.

If you want to be on the same bus as others on the cruise, there is no need to wait to book, but make sure you all get the same bus sticker prior to leaving the ship!

If there was a particular ship's tour I wanted to do, I would most definitely book it as soon as possible after booking the cruise.

If your preference is to join a few others, most Roll Calls have someone arranging small group tours.

I have done both.

A potential disadvantage of a larger group is that often people fail to register the word "strenuous" in the description and the tour will be paced to the slowest mover, sometimes resulting in shortened time at a site, or even missing one altogether.

A smaller group will often see more.

Enjoy your explorations!

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 6:56 PM, amc aaa said:

My travel agent told me I wouldn't get any credit with Azamara for my elite status on Celebrity. Which is correct? Anyone know? Also any idea what the Amazing Nights are? We are on a cruise from Hong Kong to Sinapore. Thanks

i think that leg had Bangkok in it.  That’s where we had an event.  They may try to bring some of the performers onboard instead.  Part of the experience though was the facility though.  I also remember one evening being cancelled because of rain, I’m not sure where that was but they did manage to bring some performers onboard. The rain had made a muddy mess of the venue, I’m just not sure which leg that was.  

There were some interesting events at the Hong Kong airport that many were talking about, as in May you live in interesting times!  I think those were protester and they were later moved.  I hope you are going in a bit early to enjoy the city, there’s a lot to do.  

as for your status, the loyalty numbers were the same.  If they still are you should be good unless the new purchase has changed that.  

We are going on a Spain intensive itinerary. We have 3 overnights one each in Barcelona, Seville and Lisbon before disembarking. I'm wanting to book a concert performance onshore.  I don't want to do it on the Azamazing evening.  Is there any way of finding out what is planned ? or is there anyone who can shed any light on which overnight port the evening will be held ?

19 minutes ago, Janet&Carl said:

We are going on a Spain intensive itinerary. We have 3 overnights one each in Barcelona, Seville and Lisbon before disembarking. I'm wanting to book a concert performance onshore.  I don't want to do it on the Azamazing evening.  Is there any way of finding out what is planned ? or is there anyone who can shed any light on which overnight port the evening will be held ?

Azamazing Evenings are listed in the shore excursions.

Over recent months they have not been listed as early as they used to be for obvious reasons.

Unfortunately it is doubtful that anyone on CC can tell you when your evening will be held.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

It depends on your preference for group size on any given tour.

Some ship's tours are small group because of the nature of the tour and associated cost.

Most ship's tours vary between 25 and 50 people (although buses were not being filled when cruising recommenced to allow social distancing - not sure now).

Often tour prices are less by around US$10 when booked before the cruise. If the price goes down after boarding, you may be able to cancel and re-book.

If you want to be on the same bus as others on the cruise, there is no need to wait to book, but make sure you all get the same bus sticker prior to leaving the ship!

If there was a particular ship's tour I wanted to do, I would most definitely book it as soon as possible after booking the cruise.

If your preference is to join a few others, most Roll Calls have someone arranging small group tours.

I have done both.

A potential disadvantage of a larger group is that often people fail to register the word "strenuous" in the description and the tour will be paced to the slowest mover, sometimes resulting in shortened time at a site, or even missing one altogether.

A smaller group will often see more.

Enjoy your explorations!

Thank You, good information 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, islandwoman said:

How about White Nights aka Bright Nights?  How do we find out when those are scheduled?

Unfortunately not before you on board. And due to different circumstances the date also could change.

Late depature is often a hint, when it could happen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beatnix said:

You will find it in your Azamara account where you can book the shore excursions. On our Spain intensive cruise in May Azamazing evening happend in Valencia. 

Thank you for your response - It is not appearing in shore excursions and we travel in November - am I too early ?

48 minutes ago, Janet&Carl said:

Thank you for your response - It is not appearing in shore excursions and we travel in November - am I too early ?

It popped up on my list of shore excursions some 4 to 6 weeks before the cruise.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RDR Cruisers said:

I just noticed the "Destination Celebration" on my Voyage Planner for my 12 JUL cruise.  Do I need to "add to cart" to register for the experience? Thank you!

Yes. There are usually two times available and you need to pick the one that suits you.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RDR Cruisers said:

I just noticed the "Destination Celebration" on my Voyage Planner for my 12 JUL cruise.  Do I need to "add to cart" to register for the experience? Thank you!

I went ahead and loaded it up.  There was no charge but the system allowed me to choose between a 6:30 show and one at 8:30, so I selected the earlier one so maybe when it's over we could go ashore to hear some more music....this is one of only two late or overnight stops we have in Ireland!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RDR Cruisers said:

Yes.  You book it like you would an excursion but it comes up zero cost.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 7:40 AM, kaymoz said:

Back to the dressing-up issue again....so often we've heard the dress code on a ship is something along the lines of 'smart casual' (I think Azamara uses the terms friendly & sophisticated 🙂). 
But then once we are on the ship, we've often been informed that a certain evening will be "Captain's Night" or the like, with the implication that passengers are to make more of an effort to dress up on those occasions, and it seems that many do.  Does this happen on Azamara?  Just want to make sure we are prepared!

We've been on dozens of Azamara cruises and this has never happened.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, shaznmike54 said:

as this is my first cruise on Azamra Quest, can i wear smart shorts at dinner and polo shirt?

RECOMMENDED ATTIRE

• For women: sportswear, casual dresses, skirts, pants and capris, blouses and knit tops. Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk, and wool gabardine are always appropriate.
  • For men: sportswear, collared golf and polo shirts, shorts, pants, and a sport coat if desired (not required). Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk, and wool gabardine are best.
  • For Discoveries, Aqualina and Prime C Restaurants: No bare feet, ball caps, tank tops or bathing suits are permitted in these areas. Shorts and torn/distressed jeans are not allowed during dinner.
  • For everyone: Be sure to pack a sweater and a lightweight wind breaker for cooler mornings and evenings. And don't forget your workout clothes! You will also need a pair of sneakers or rubber-soled shoes for deck sports, and a swimsuit and cover-up. You may also want to pack more conservative day/port wear for onshore excursions. This clothing should be culturally appropriate for museums, restaurants and religious sites.

This yor will find on Azamars website.

https://www.azamara.com/it/booked-guests/before-you-board/packing-tips

So the answer is no if you want to have dinner at Main Dinning Room or speciality restaurants.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, shaznmike54 said:

as this is my first cruise on Azamra Quest, can i wear smart shorts at dinner and polo shirt?

Technically yes, but only if you are eating in Windows (casual evening dining inside or out) or The Patio (semi outside grill bar) Eating anywhere else, no 

• Like 2

I have updated the ‘Tips’ spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE/edit

I will try to repost the link every time the Tips topic goes to a new page, which may help a little (tho’ I realise not everyone finds it the easiest way to get information).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4