Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

6 hours ago, kent4489 said:

Our last cruise was in a CC suite and we had a refrigerator. We asked them to remove soft drinks and only stock club soda. They simply moved the soft drinks out of the fridge, but left them lined up in the cabinet beside the fridge. The cruise before, we booked late and had an oceanview cabin and the same thing happened. They moved the soft drinks to the side of the fridge. Not sure why they didn't just remove them from the cabin, but we've had the same thing happen twice, so apparently that's the way they handle it. In both CC suite and oceanview cabin, we had a mini fridge.

Now that you have posted, I do remember putting the cans of drinks on the desk myself.  It was over four years ago, so I don’t always remember little things.  I do very well remember the shoe organiser hooked over the bathroom door to hold toiletries as there was no bathroom storage in the accessible cabin.

2 hours ago, Hamwen3839 said:

Azamara Newbie enquiry.Is the hair dryer adequate or do I need to bring my own ? Have been on other cruise ships where hairdryer was so “weak” it was next to useless.

There was a post up-thread about one of the AZ ships waiting for delivery of new hair dryers.  Which ship will you be on?  I have had a pretty lack lustre one, and then one that did the job all right.  But I don't have long, thick hair.

It is possible they have replaced the old hairdryers- but if they haven't bring your own hairdryer. The last time I sailed on Azamara was seven months ago.  I will definitely bring my hairdryer when I cruise again in September.

11 hours ago, Hamwen3839 said:

Azamara Newbie enquiry.Is the hair dryer adequate or do I need to bring my own ? Have been on other cruise ships where hairdryer was so “weak” it was next to useless.

I always bring my own.  I’ve never found an adequate hairdryer on any cruise ship.

1 minute ago, asnaleah said:

Please check the wattage of your hair dryer before bringing it on board. It used to have to be under 700 watts.

That may have changed. The new ones on Onward are more like 1200 watts. Quite nice, actually.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 10:25 PM, kaymoz said:

After the ship arrives in port, when does disembarking for the day typically begin?  I have the idea that it is one hour later, but I'm not sure why I have that idea (and if it's correct!).   

I'd like to book a popular activity for 8:30 am one day (before the crowds), but the ship's arrival time that day is 7:15 am.  I think we're gonna need more than 15 minutes to reach the starting point, so I'm wondering how to schedule, if I need to allow for that hour, etc.

Contact the activity vendor and tell them which ship you'll be arriving on and the scheduled arrival time.  If they cater to cruise ship passengers, they will know how long you'll need to get off the ship and to the starting point. While you're at it, find out if they'll refund your payment if the ship is late or if the port call is cancelled. 

9 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

It’s just been reported on another thread by laurieb that corkage is now $15.

Can I suggest that you add to the spreadsheet that the corkage fee will apply even if you purchase either the Premium or Ultimate drinks package? (On Celebrity, they waive the fee if you’ve purchased one - Az newbies could assume the same would apply). 

5 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

It’s just been reported on another thread by laurieb that corkage is now $15.

Further on in that thread, pre-cruise paperwork included the corkage fee of $25! 😲

11 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Can I suggest that you add to the spreadsheet that the corkage fee will apply even if you purchase either the Premium or Ultimate drinks package? (On Celebrity, they waive the fee if you’ve purchased one - Az newbies could assume the same would apply). 

Have done so

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Further on in that thread, pre-cruise paperwork included the corkage fee of $25! 😲

I saw that. I hope that doesn't apply to my forthcoming cruise. I chose Azamara precisely because it claimed not to nickel and dime you but to go from $10 corkage to $25 is gouging, not nickel and diming and leaves a very nasty taste. It is even more unacceptable if you are already buying their ultimate package. I'm checking this with my TA and maybe this forum's posters might also find a way to complain, otherwise they'll hope we don't notice.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, luv2travel90266 said:

As of 7/31/22 at 1:30PM Pacific time the website says $10. Another miss by the head office. 

image.thumb.png.179a189a7a5624b29b13a0ca0d2bc1b7.png

The UK website is the same. Wonder if we could quote this onboard. 🤔

FCA96681-43A1-4E0A-A398-DB8D422C943D.thumb.jpeg.133835057827b06539247676b3ebaf2c.jpeg

Edited by Beamafar

21 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

We have been assigned a boarding time of 2.30pm.  We have priority boarding.  If we turn up at the beginning of embarkation (assuming it’s earlier), would we be able to board earlier than our allotted time?

At the moment, (and I could be wrong about this) I think 2pm is the earliest boarding time allocated. If you are early, and have priority (in a suite perhaps?) I am sure they will get you on board as soon as they can. But it depends on a lot of factors, such as when the ship is ready after the previous group has disembarked, and the requirements of the local officials. You may well end up cooling your heels for a while somewhere in the port facility.

8 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

At the moment, (and I could be wrong about this) I think 2pm is the earliest boarding time allocated. If you are early, and have priority (in a suite perhaps?) I am sure they will get you on board as soon as they can. But it depends on a lot of factors, such as when the ship is ready after the previous group has disembarked, and the requirements of the local officials. You may well end up cooling your heels for a while somewhere in the port facility.

Cheers.  We’re in a P1 (one of the perks is PB).  We have a transfer by Az from the airport.  The flight they have us booked on is due to arrive at 11.25.  Means we could be at the port as early as 12pm.  😔

We’ve gone ahead and booked a direct flight to Nice the evening before, rather than use the flights Az has us booked on (55 minute transfer through Schiphol on the morning of embarkation was just a risk too far for us).  I’d rather pass on the transfer to the port and get a late checkout from the hotel. 

I’ve asked on the roll call if anyone has been allocated an earlier boarding time, but it’s a very quiet RC. 

Edited by Beamafar

3 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Cheers.  We’re in a P1 (one of the perks is PB).  We have a transfer by Az from the airport.  The flight they have us booked on is due to arrive at 11.25.  Means we could be at the port as early as 12pm.  😔

I’ve asked on the roll call if anyone has been allocated an earlier boarding time, but it’s a very quiet RC. 

I would be really surprised if you made it to the port that early. If your flight comes in on time, it will take you a little while to get into the terminal, a bit longer to clear passport control, (unless you’re EU or EEC?) and a little while to get your bags, find your driver and get to the port. An hour would be really quick, I think. 90 minutes between landing and arriving at the port would be possible if everything went smoothly.

• Like 1

Just now, lisiamc said:

I would be really surprised if you made it to the port that early. If your flight comes in on time, it will take you a little while to get into the terminal, a bit longer to clear passport control, (unless you’re EU or EEC?) and a little while to get your bags, find your driver and get to the port. An hour would be really quick, I think. 90 minutes between landing and arriving at the port would be possible if everything went smoothly.

Sorry - I edited my post to add that we’re not using the flights provided, so we were planning on going to the airport terminal on the morning, from the airport hotel we’ve booked, to use the transfer provided.  We don’t want to use it now as we could spend the morning in Nice and enjoy lunch, leaving our luggage in storage in the hotel. 

5 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Sorry - I edited my post to add that we’re not using the flights provided, so we were planning on going to the airport terminal on the morning, from the airport hotel we’ve booked, to use the transfer provided.  We don’t want to use it now as we could spend the morning in Nice and enjoy lunch, leaving our luggage in storage in the hotel. 

So, is your original question now irrelevant?