Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

1 hour ago, DandDM said:

Could someone speak to the boarding process on Azamara?  Have questions such as:

When do they start checking folks in?

What time does boarding usually start?

Because the ship is so small, thinking the crowds might not be bad, but is there a 'rush' time to avoid?

Read on a review about checking in on the ship; is that how it happens all the time or just in some ports?  (we are boarding in Miami)

Anything else about boarding that would be different from the mainstream lines?

Thanks!

Check in is done on the pier in Miami and most embarkation ports.  Typically starts close to 11.  Boarding usually starts 11:30 or thereabouts.  Have not seen a real "rush."  Book specialty restaurants when you board if it's not available on the pier.

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Do we obtain visa for all of the countries we will be visiting.  In my case, it includes Singapore, Sri Lanka, India , Oman and Dubai

Azamara will sort out any visas required for Oman and Dubai. For India you definitely have to get your own. Not sure about Singapore and Sri Lanka. Another CC member might know, but you can always check with Azamara. Bonnie (Azamara’s Chief Blogging Officer) may be able to advise on here.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

2 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Check in is done on the pier in Miami and most embarkation ports.  Typically starts close to 11.  Boarding usually starts 11:30 or thereabouts.  Have not seen a real "rush."  Book specialty restaurants when you board if it's not available on the pier.

4 hours ago, DandDM said:

Could someone speak to the boarding process on Azamara?  Have questions such as:

When do they start checking folks in?

What time does boarding usually start?

Because the ship is so small, thinking the crowds might not be bad, but is there a 'rush' time to avoid?

Read on a review about checking in on the ship; is that how it happens all the time or just in some ports?  (we are boarding in Miami)

Anything else about boarding that would be different from the mainstream lines?

Thanks!

I find checking in with Azamara very easy but have not gone through Miami before. This is what I do:

1. Do the online pre-boarding check in and print a copy of the sheet that shows how you will pay for any extras.  Take that with you--not in your luggage.

2. Put your Azamara luggage tag on luggage you do not need to keep with you.  Luggage tags can be printed online, supplied by your TA and/or sent to you by Azamara.

3. When arriving at port you can leave luggage you have tagged at place designated.  It will be delivered to your room within a couple of hours.  Enter check-in facility.

4. Even though there is a published time when boarding will start, my experience has been that it starts earlier which is convenient for those checking out of a hotel.

5. We always arrive early because we love the ship, want to explore, check out the lunch buffet, etc.

6. Check-in is always easy and pleasant.  Give them your filled out sheet with payment info, they take your picture, and you get your room key.  Go through the scanner and board the ship.  The longest is has taken is 20 minutes.

7. Your carry-on bag can be left (usually on Deck 4 at a check-in desk) while you eat lunch or explore and picked up later when you go to your room.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PirateWife said:

I find checking in with Azamara very easy but have not gone through Miami before. This is what I do:

1. Do the online pre-boarding check in and print a copy of the sheet that shows how you will pay for any extras.  Take that with you--not in your luggage.

2. Put your Azamara luggage tag on luggage you do not need to keep with you.  Luggage tags can be printed online, supplied by your TA and/or sent to you by Azamara.

3. When arriving at port you can leave luggage you have tagged at place designated.  It will be delivered to your room within a couple of hours.  Enter check-in facility.

4. Even though there is a published time when boarding will start, my experience has been that it starts earlier which is convenient for those checking out of a hotel.

5. We always arrive early because we love the ship, want to explore, check out the lunch buffet, etc.

6. Check-in is always easy and pleasant.  Give them your filled out sheet with payment info, they take your picture, and you get your room key.  Go through the scanner and board the ship.  The longest is has taken is 20 minutes.

7. Your carry-on bag can be left (usually on Deck 4 at a check-in desk) while you eat lunch or explore and picked up later when you go to your room.

I’ve just added all these great embarkation tips into the spreadsheet. Here’s the link again https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE

9 hours ago, Dean said:

Are passengers responsible to obtain visas for their port visits or does Azamura handle this?

That varies. For example when we did a cruise to Vietnam & Thailand, Azamara did the visas for UK, US & Australian passengers. When we did Athens to Mumbai, Azamara handled all the visas for the middle-east (Egypt, Oman, UAE/Dubai) but we had to get a visa for India ourselves. There were a few people onboard who had not got an Indian visa and they were told before boarding that they would have to disembark in Dubai or else they could not board.

You need to check out with Azamara which visas they will get for your cruise and which you need to get yourself.

On 11/24/2018 at 3:40 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

You can do that, no problem. And yes.  I know of people doing that. The Elemis products in the showers I think smell great. Shampoo, conditioner and proper shower gel. None of this body wash stuff.  

Phil 

Is there a difference between shower gel and body wash?  I always considered them the same thing. 

Is there also bar soap?  My DH prefers the bar soaps. 

1 hour ago, Cyber Kat said:

Is there a difference between shower gel and body wash?  I always considered them the same thing. 

Is there also bar soap?  My DH prefers the bar soaps. 

I’m not sure there is any difference between shower gel and body wash!

Yes there is bar soap.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 8:02 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I’m not sure there is any difference between shower gel and body wash!

Yes there is bar soap.

Thanks! That’s what I thought, but I guess some people have seen 2 different products. 

My DH will be glad to know there is bar soap. 

Do you know the brand of the toiletries?  I sometimes have allergy problems and I often take my own. Since we are not flying, I might do that just in case. 

1 hour ago, Cyber Kat said:

Thanks! That’s what I thought, but I guess some people have seen 2 different products. 

My DH will be glad to know there is bar soap. 

Do you know the brand of the toiletries?  I sometimes have allergy problems and I often take my own. Since we are not flying, I might do that just in case. 

Not sure what it’s called, someone else may remember, but it’s Aloe Vera based.

Host Grandma Cruising....I just finished reading the document you created for Azamara cruisers.  Thank you!  

RE:  Bringing wine  onboard.  Can wine be brought onboard midcruise at the ports?  My DH likes to have wine available to drink in the room.  Can we purchase it in port as we go without restriction or do we need to bring it onboard the first day of the cruise?  

We will be doing a port intensive New Zealand itinerary.   

5 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Not sure what it’s called, someone else may remember, but it’s Aloe Vera based.

About a year ago, someone posted a picture of an Azamara toiletry bottle. It may still be there after the new website change.  Use the search function.

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

Host Grandma Cruising....I just finished reading the document you created for Azamara cruisers.  Thank you!  

RE:  Bringing wine  onboard.  Can wine be brought onboard midcruise at the ports?  My DH likes to have wine available to drink in the room.  Can we purchase it in port as we go without restriction or do we need to bring it onboard the first day of the cruise?  

We will be doing a port intensive New Zealand itinerary.   

You can bring it on at any port (so long as the port authorities are happy with this - I have seen some posts saying that in Miami the port authorities will not let you take alcohol aboard in carry ons).

On 12/21/2018 at 12:40 PM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Thanks Bonnie, that’s great. I’ll reference this post in the spread-sheet.

On 12/21/2018 at 12:36 PM, BBMacLaird said:

DB180EB4-A10A-411A-B68E-3B71A392899B.jpeg

Was just in Veranda last month and this wasn't what was supplied.  Is this discontinued or for suites?

5 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

This was in our veranda stateroom on the Pursuit in November. 

Which ship were you on? I’ll investigate for you.

Was on Journey November 24th cruise.  Items were fine, but not Eco-Boutique don't recall brand.

Art