Sony #BeAlpha launch

havoc315

Since we have lots of Sony shooters, thought I'd share a quick story..

I attended the Sony #BeAlpha launch event yesterday, quite amazing. Every "Sony-celeb" was there, like Patrick Murphy-Racey, Manny Ortiz, Jason Vong, etc, etc. Felt like I stepped into a Sony youtube video.

They were definitely pouring love on Sony pros. Catered with good food, alcohol, giveaways. They had about a dozen models and other shooting possibilities all set up. Though I skipped it because the weather was iffy and it was getting late, they chartered a boat for a NYC Harbor cruise.

They had a massive stockpile of loaner equipment for the day. (I didn't shoot with it, but I did handle the Sony 400mm f/2.8).

So to bring me to the lesson of the story.... I borrowed a Sony A9 and 70-200 f/2.8. Two pieces of gear that I haven't really used, and of course those 2 items cost about $7000 combined. When I think about it, I also did some shooting with my own Sony A7riii, so I had about $10,000+ of camera gear around my neck and shoulders at once.

Sony gave me a memory card for the A9 -- a top of the line memory card.

All worked great -- The A9 combined with the 70-200/f/2.8, shooting professional models with lighting already set up... it was hard to take a bad shot.

I return the camera after several hours of play, I take out the memory card. On the way home, I stick the memory card into my A7riii... I review a bunch of the images. But then it suddenly can't read more images... Turn off the camera, turn it back on -- it can't read the card at all. I get home, my computer can't detect the card at all.

So I have my first ever total SD card failure. Lost over 1,000 images taken at the Sony launch event. I'm mailing the card to Sony's tech support to see if they can save it.

I guess I'm thankful that this didn't happen at a paid shoot.

Only somewhat saving grace... during a bit of downtime, I did send about 100 photos to myself over wifi. So I do have some of the images, unfortunately they are tiny 2mp images.

But you can see a few of them on my instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/havoc315/?hl=en

Since we have lots of Sony shooters, thought I'd share a quick story..

I attended the Sony #BeAlpha launch event yesterday, quite amazing. Every "Sony-celeb" was there, like Patrick Murphy-Racey, Manny Ortiz, Jason Vong, etc, etc. Felt like I stepped into a Sony youtube video.

They were definitely pouring love on Sony pros. Catered with good food, alcohol, giveaways. They had about a dozen models and other shooting possibilities all set up. Though I skipped it because the weather was iffy and it was getting late, they chartered a boat for a NYC Harbor cruise.

They had a massive stockpile of loaner equipment for the day. (I didn't shoot with it, but I did handle the Sony 400mm f/2.8).

So to bring me to the lesson of the story.... I borrowed a Sony A9 and 70-200 f/2.8. Two pieces of gear that I haven't really used, and of course those 2 items cost about $7000 combined. When I think about it, I also did some shooting with my own Sony A7riii, so I had about $10,000+ of camera gear around my neck and shoulders at once.

Sony gave me a memory card for the A9 -- a top of the line memory card.

All worked great -- The A9 combined with the 70-200/f/2.8, shooting professional models with lighting already set up... it was hard to take a bad shot.

I return the camera after several hours of play, I take out the memory card. On the way home, I stick the memory card into my A7riii... I review a bunch of the images. But then it suddenly can't read more images... Turn off the camera, turn it back on -- it can't read the card at all. I get home, my computer can't detect the card at all.

So I have my first ever total SD card failure. Lost over 1,000 images taken at the Sony launch event. I'm mailing the card to Sony's tech support to see if they can save it.

I guess I'm thankful that this didn't happen at a paid shoot.

Only somewhat saving grace... during a bit of downtime, I did send about 100 photos to myself over wifi. So I do have some of the images, unfortunately they are tiny 2mp images.

But you can see a few of them on my instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/havoc315/?hl=en

RescuePro is a long time standard for recovering images. You usually get a copy free with the Extreme Pro cards but it is available separately. The trial will tell you if there is anything to recover but I don't think it allows saving the files. I've used it to recover friend's files from accidental deletions and formatting. Yours sounds like a FAT corruption and it will likely still work.

Worth a try.

http://www.lc-tech.com/pc/sandisk-rescuepro-and-rescuepro-deluxe/

Dave

RescuePro is a long time standard for recovering images. You usually get a copy free with the Extreme Pro cards but it is available separately. The trial will tell you if there is anything to recover but I don't think it allows saving the files. I've used it to recover friend's files from accidental deletions and formatting. Yours sounds like a FAT corruption and it will likely still work.

Worth a try.

http://www.lc-tech.com/pc/sandisk-rescuepro-and-rescuepro-deluxe/

Dave

No... doesn't work because it doesn't even recognize the card. Nothing to even run the software on -- It's as if a card wasn't even inserted into the computer.

Hopefully Sony can save the card. Unlikely. At least I didn't lose client files. And at least I do have a few 2mp images. But there really were some nice images I wanted to play with. And some of the best, I didn't even get 2 mp copies of.

I will say though, anybody who might possibly qualify for the Sony Pro services, should definitely apply. $100 per year -- Just yesterday's "free" event, they must have spent $200-$300 per guest. Heck, if the memory card they gave me wasn't rotten, it's like a $120 memory card.

Other notes from the event: Everyone hates the Sony menus. Though nearly everyone there was a Sony pro, there were some people newer to Sony or pros considering Sony -- Even the Sony Pro support staff that was there, while they were encouraging everyone to use the eye-AF, they were having trouble navigating the menus to help people set it up.

Clearly Sony sees "people photography" as the strength of the camera. They really set up the whole thing for shooting of models. Perhaps they also anticipate that the new Nikon camera (announcing this Thursday) won't have eye-AF, so they want to push it's use with Sony.

And speaking of eye-AF -- definitely speeds up workflow when shooting portraits. No focus and re-compose. Not much worry about moving focus point. Just compose and shoot

BUT -- When DOF is narrow, the eye-AF isn't perfect. As often as it hits, it front focuses on eye-lashes a bit. It's the type of difference you don't notice unless you're pixel peeping but you definitely do see it when pixel peeping.