21 month old - Carnival, Princess, Disney or RC?

Mommy0804

Wow! I have spent several hours reviewing message boards, researching cruise line websites, and reading reviews. We are planning to take 21 month old DD on a Western Caribbean cruise beginning of April. DH and I have never been on a cruise before, although we have done the all-inclusive resort thing several times in several locations. I am planning to go to the travel agency to check availability tomorrow. However, this is what I have come up with so far:

On Princess (we would be on the Star), children under three are allowed in the Youth Centre accompanied by a parent. Is this really the case? Are there any wading pools for children?

Carnival - Triumph or Valor - once again are there wading pools for children? Are children under two allowed in the Camp Carnival area at all with parents?

Disney - from what I have read, Disney sounds excellent for children. I am sure that the price is quite a bit higher than the other cruise lines. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Does DD have to be a huge Disney fan to benefit from the cruise, or is it just great for kids in general? She has never seen a Disney movie YET!

Finally I am getting mixed reviews about RC. Some people say it's great. Other people complain about the food. I guess my interest lies in a pool area for my toddler who is not potty trained, and accessibility to toddler activities. We would be on any of the following ships: Radiance, Navigator, Explorer. Is there going to be enough to keep a 21 month old child entertained? She is not high maintenance, and plays well alone.

Thank you to everyone who has tips and has answered other forum questions. Please let me know your experience with any of the above cruise lines, and if you have any strong "yes, I'd definitely do it again" or "no, wouldn't recommend that at all" preferences.

If you wait 3 months, your child could goto Kids Club with NCL. They'll give you a beeper to come and change them if needed.

We did Disney last month, the facilities are the best, but the staff was a let down. DD (5) would last 1-2 hrs and then wanted to be picked up. DS (2) was left in the nursery and would last about an hour before they would kick him out (he can be hyperactive).

I hadn't really checked out NCL, but I have read in a couple of places that the charge for a child is less than some of the other cruise lines. Unfortunately, we cannot wait three months since I will either be enormously pregnant, or have a small baby. I did not get to the travel agency yet this week, but hopefully today or tomorrow. I think that the cost for my toddler will be a factor. As well, maybe she can answer some more specific questions for me. Once again, this board has been very helpful! Thank you!

We decided to go with NCL for our cruise this month. They were the only cruise line that didn't charge a 3rd person fare for our 11 month old. We only had to pay the port charges. That worked out to be a $400 - $800 savings for our cruise. We thought it was ridiculous to have to pay such a large 3rd passenger fee when my son will barely eat anything in the dining room and isn't even allowed in the Kids Club. Sure, You won't be able to use the kid's club on NCL (or any other line), but we felt the value was such that we decided to give NCL a try.

The rules have changed since we cruised with our then 21 month old in 2001. Now, swim diapers are NOT allowed in the pools - the regulations changed in Nov 2001.

On Princess you CAN stay with your child in the kids area, but you cannot leave them.

Disney offers nursery babysitting for the under 3's - that might be your best bet as I think that is the ONLY cruiseline that offers care for the under 3's.

We had a great time with our 21 month old in 2001 on Grand Princess. We always ate in Horizon court buffet because she could have whatever she wanted (lived on watermelon for the week), and we didn't have to worry about table manners etc etc (besides we prefer buffets too!!) This time the kids are 3 and 6 and we'll do some buffet and some restaurant.

Princess has anytime dining - you go to the formal dining room whenever you want. Disney has either 6pm or 8 pm dinners. That may affect your decision too.

With a 21 month old, its all about the kid. You have to adjust your expectations and plans around their schedule and nap needs etc. We took our own portable playpen for her to sleep in, had a minisuite so we had a fridge for her milk and could enjoy the balcony during her naps, took a kettle to heat the milk bottle in, stroller, only took easy tour shore excursions, etc etc. BUT we had a great time and really enjoyed spending the week with her without all the distractions of home!!!!

Pick which cruiseline's setup works best for you and the way your family is (more or less regimented, how your child behaves, whether you want child care or not, etc etc), and then just ENJOY!!!!!!

• 7 months later...

First, let me say I have sailed on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Disney and had a great time on all of them. We didn't have our son yet when we did Disney. They are great and a lot of fun but oh so expensive!!! I am pretty sure they offer like a $129 fare for kids under two, but the adult rate is outrageous! I think the kids need to be a little older to really appreciate the Disney difference though!

We sailed on NCL in May of this year with our then 16 month old son.

You only pay tax and port charges for kids under 2 on NCL. We are now booked for the NCL Jewel for 12/03/06.

There are time slots held aside each day (posted on the door inside the kids club) where kids under two are permitted with a parent. My son Dillon had a ball!! There are also usually toddler toys (little vehicles, climbing things, springy rocking type toys) in a sectioned off area of the deck on many of the ships which are availabe 24 hours a day!

There was nobody checking to see if any of the babies had on swimmies under their suits in either the infant or the kids pool. I wouldn't bring the baby to the adult pool of course!! Again, Dillon had a blast!

We found the crew to be extremely family friendly and the Freestyle Dining works great with a little one.

Have a great time whichever line you choose.

Linda

On Princess one parent (not more than one) must be with a child under three while in the kids area.

You may want to consider Carnival because from what I've read they will let you pay for babysitting for a child under two. I love Princess, but I've booked a Carnival cruise for right after my twins turn two because then they can enjoy the kids program.

Best,

Mia

Of the 4 you asked about, I can only tell you my experiences with RC and Carnival. RC would not allow any children in diapers in the playroom with or without a parent. They did have a 1/2 hour playtime in a separate area where the kids played with fisher price toys. It was in a card room which was not that great b/c it had these planters with these I dont know what they were but small ball things that my then 15 month old kept playing with and putting in his mouth.

However, RC has incabin babysitting.

Carnival on sea days has from 12-2 a time when you can bring your under 2 year old, diapers and all, into the playroom. You can pay to leave them for that time if you want too (I think) Plus they have babysitting after 10 pm until 3 am for babies and they will provide a pack n play.

As for the kiddie pools on both, as another poster said, no one is checking to see who is in diapers. Honestly, who else but a child in diapers is going to want to go in a 1 foot pool???? But check on RC, not all Voyager class ships have kiddie pools. I know Marnier does not. I think RC figured out that there is no point to having a kiddie pool when babies in diapers are technically not allowed in them. I dont think Freedom has one either.

Another line to check out if you are not confused enough is Celebrity. We went with my oldest son when he was 10 months and if you like in room babysitting its great. We are going back in November and I will see how they are with a 22 month old and let you know. They will supply you with your own beach toys to use for the cruise. Also, according to their website, they will allow time for under 3 year olds in diapers to play in the camp with a parent.

Now if a cruise line had in room babysitting and a camp for 2 year olds I would be soooo happy.

Archived