Money

newt52

We will be in port at St. John and Halifax in October. In St. John we will be on a private tour but may end up at the market. In Halifax we plan on doing the boardwalk area, perhaps go to the Citadel. My question is do we need to get Canadian currency for shops or restaurants around there?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will be in port at St. John and Halifax in October. In St. John we will be on a private tour but may end up at the market. In Halifax we plan on doing the boardwalk area, perhaps go to the Citadel. My question is do we need to get Canadian currency for shops or restaurants around there?

We didn't need CAD in either of these ports...the market in St John took US$'s and so did the terminal shopping area in Halifax. The restaurant we ate at we used our Capitol One credit card...no fees.

If you need a bit of cash there are two easy ways to get it when here:

Best - go to an ATM and take out $20 or more.

Next best - Pay for something with $US and your change will be Canadian. If it is only a small amount the cost would not be too bad.

Almost everywhere takes credit or debit cards. Exceptions would be transit or the ferry to Dartmouth and perhaps some waterfront kiosks.

Some (few) places in Canada will not take US $ or credit card. My research of some small pubs in Quebec city was clear on that. Also, there could be some taxis that do not accept CC (may accept US$).

That being said, unless you have a bank associated in Canada, it may be cheaper to get some CAD at your US Bank. I have Chase debit which has horrible fees/rates for foreign countries so I bought some CAD here in US. Exchange rate wasn't perfect but was still better than Travelex.

Really depends on how much CAD you want to purchase and whether you care about crappy exchange rates. Are there some Canadian businesses that take US $, sure. Will their rates be competitive - no chance.

• 3 weeks later...

Using U.S.D in Canada or C.A.D in the USA at restaurants and retailers will always be an unfavourable exchange rate. Also, you will always get change in the currency of the country you're in. Using a CC is definitely the best practice unless you exchange some money at a bank or cash retail outlet ahead of time.

We intend to use cc for as much as we can. Our only concern is when tipping tour guides ( only using cruisecship excursions as we received credits in every port) and wondering if we should use USD or CAD?

$C preferred but tour guides certainly used to $US. Besides they have a 25% premium

We were in Halifax last week (we were also supposed to have docked in St. John's, Newfoundland, but our ship was diverted to help search for the person who went overboard from the AIDA Luna; a very sad day). We had Canadian currency with us, but were also able to use our credit cards.

One funny story: when we exited the cruise terminal in Halifax, we hired a cab for some touring for several hours. The driver quoted us a price of "one hundred dollars" per person. I said, "I assume that's one hundred Canadian." He replied, "one hundred Canadian or one hundred U.S., I'll take either." LOL!!! It never hurts to have local currency with you!!

PS: Not that you asked, but we had a wonderful lunch at The Five Fishermen, just downhill from the Citadel. The fish tacos were fabulous. So were the fish and chips. (The potatoes are local, and you can absolutely taste the freshness. And of course the freshness of the fish is a given.)

Edited by Turtles06

• 2 weeks later...

You can use American currency anywhere in Canada.

You can use American currency anywhere in Canada.
Lol. No, you can't.

Most touristy cities and those near the border will be accommodating. But, you'll get a way worse rate than if you just use a CC.

And they're certainly under no obligation to take USD. ( Say if you're trying to buy like a stick of gum )

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the helpful replies, gives me lots to think about.

Turtles06- The Five Fishermen sounds great, any chance they have chowder?

I'm afraid you may be out of luck there. I don't recall any chowder, and there is none listed on their menu on line. (The lunch restaurant is called the Little Fish Oyster Bar.)

https://www.littlefishoysterbar.ca/lunch-menu/

But here are the fabulous fish tacos :D

enhance

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, MisElainieous said:

We live in a small community in Alabama, not close to a large city. Where would you get exchange for Canadian $?   Would the ship offer it?

maybe   depends on the ship

You could  just  hit an ATM  in port   or use your CC

some merchants  will accept  USD  with a higher exchange rate conversion 

depends on what you will be spending whether it is worth the  convenience  factor 

10 hours ago, MisElainieous said:

We live in a small community in Alabama, not close to a large city. Where would you get exchange for Canadian $?   Would the ship offer it?

How small a community are we talking here. Any bank would most likely offer it. Maybe not hundreds of thousands, but enough for tourist purposes.

Our town of less than 4 thousand people has a bank that has US dollars.