Pre-Cruise and Excursion Plans

BeachTunes

Hello again fellow PG cruisers!

Warning: This is a long post! Please stop reading if a lengthy post will annoy you. ;)

As promised, I'm back seeking more advice. :cool: Thanks for all of your guidance so far, everyone! We have pretty much planned most of the trip already even though we are still over 100 days out. I love the research and planning aspects of travel! (OK, I'm a self-proclaimed planning nerd! Haha!) I thought some PG experts and past cruisers might have some insight on our itinerary.

We love snorkelling and thus have planned a few snorkelling excursions. We like to be active but also enjoy a lazy day on the beach. I've put together what I think is a good balance of adventure, sun, sand and relaxation. We're not fond of bus tours and don't mind exploring on our own. Some of our most memorable discoveries when traveling have been places we just wandered into. We definitely will be checking out most of the evening shows on board to get an extra culture fix! Here goes... I highlighted in red the areas where we're most looking for feedback. THANK YOU! I promise I'm not crazy and that I won't over plan every moment. I'm just so looking forward to this cruise that posting on Cruise Critic is helping me contain my excitement! :D

December 3 (1 night): Pre-cruise in Los Angeles

December 4: Redeye - LAX to PPT

December 5-8 (3 nights): Pre-cruise in Moorea

December 8-15 (7 nights): Cruising!

Los Angeles (Monday):

*Our Hollywood area hotel is booked.

*For dinner, we have tickets to the Magic Castle thanks to our last cruise with Crystal!

*Brunch at Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles the next day.

*Our ATN fight to PPT leaves at 10:55pm, so we'll explore Hollywood by foot/Uber. Maybe go to The Grove?

*We'll aim to get to LAX by 6:30pm. Is this reasonable for the 10:55pm flight? We'd rather be early than late!

*Pre-flight snack and adult beverage post-security in "TBIT". James' Beach looks cool as does the wine bar. *Suggestions on how to bide our time at LAX are welcome!

*As for the flight, it looks like the redeye on December 4th will be on a new 787! Yay!

PPT Arrival and Ferry to Moorea (Tuesday/Wednesday)

*Land around 5am. Hail a taxi to the ferry terminal after customs.

*We know ferry schedules can change but would it be realistic to think we could catch the 7:20am ferry?

*Albert's Tours private transfer to our hotel with a stop for snacks, water, beer, wine etc on route.

*3 nights at Hotel Fenua Mata'i'oa, a boutique 5-room property. We have a suite with direct lagoon access.

Moorea Day One (Wednesday)

*Go for a walk if our room isn't ready when we arrive.

*Lunch at Snack Mahana. Any fave dishes? I don't eat seafood (long story) but my husband eats everything.

*We'll be jet lagged so we plan to fight the urge to sleep by keeping busy swimming, walking, reading, etc.

*Dinner at our hotel. One of the owners is apparently a wonderful French chef and they go over the top with the ornate tropical floral table decor!

Moorea Pre-Cruise Day Two (Thursday):

*Kayak to the nearby area in the lagoon to view the stingrays and sharks.

*Lunch at Coco Beach on the nearby motu.

*Dinner at Coco D'isle (A quirky-looking restaurant with a sand floor, extensive Polynesian menu and complimentary transfers) Anyone been here? I'm really intrigued by it!

Moorea Pre-Cruise Day Three (Friday):

*ATV Tour with Albert's Tours - Booked! - Goes to Belvedere, Magic Mountain, Juice Factory, etc

*Lunch at one of the roulottes in Le Petit Village (Suggestions welcome!)

*Pre-dinner drinks at Les Tipaniers beach bar. I read they often have music on Fridays - It will be Friday!

*Dinner at our hotel. (Other suggestions welcome. We'd love to go to the Toatea creperie at the Hilton one night but they don't offer complimentary shuttles to my knowledge and we don't want to rent a car. Would going by taxi be a pain and/or brutally expensive?)

Embarkation Day (Saturday):

Option 1: Moorea Beach Club for brunch on route to the ferry to Papeete. If we do this we would take the 3pm Terevau ferry. There is one more ferry at 4pm with Aremiti. Both the 3pm and 4pm seem to be cutting it close if anything goes wrong. No?

Option 2: Take the 12:30pm Terevau ferry to Papeete which would give us two hours prior to boarding... Cross our fingers we could drop our two large suitcases off at the pier and go to the market and grab lunch somewhere. If we aren't able to drop our bags it looks like the ferry terminal has outdoor dining as does Les 3 Brasseurs close to the ship. (I'm not a fan of the thought of going to Les 3 Brasseurs because it's a chain and they have a few in the Toronto area. We'd prefer something more authentically local but if someone here suggests Les 3 Brasseurs is great, we'll consider giving it a shot!)

Thanks to all of the tips here, we know to make our Le Grill and La Veranda dinner reservations ASAP! We are bringing our own snorkelling equipment so no need to sign out at the marina. :)

Huahine (Sunday):

*No excursions today. We'd like to make this a wander/kayak the marina/moonfish demo day. Thoughts?

*Shuttle to Fare, explore the town/shops and have a drink and maybe lunch at the Huahine Yacht Club.

*Return to the ship for the children of Huahine show and moonfish presentation.

*Kayaking off the ship's marina is a must do for us so we'd try to get it done on this day to ensure we check it off our list!

Taha'a: (Monday):

Enjoy the Motu!

Bora Bora Day One (Tuesday):

*Patrick's Lagoon Tour and Polynesian Feast (Will book when shore excursions open up.)

*Go to Bloody Mary's for a drink just to check it off the list.

*Shop

*Dinner at Le Grill (Will make reservations ASAP on embarkation day.)

Bora Bora Day Two (Wednesday):

*Pure Snorkeling Manta Ray Tour - (Booked with them directly.)

*We hope our tour will finish in time to catch one of the last tenders to the PG beach. Doable? I've read both yes and no. I believe our tour will wrap up by 1pm.

Moorea Cruise Day One (Thursday):

*Dr Poole's Dolphin Watching Tour (Will book with PG shore excursions when the time comes.)

*Explore whatever bay we are docked in after the tour. Any way to know in advance what bay we'll dock at?

Moorea Cruise Day Two (Friday):

TBD - Since we will have had 3 full days in Moorea pre-cruise we're keeping this day open. We might treat it like a sea day or we might revisit some of the places we liked/missed during our land based stay.

Papeete and Disembarkation Saturday):

*Shop the market early after breakfast and return to the ship.

*Day Room at the Intercontinental

*We are booked to do the pre-day room 2 hour bus tour but I've read so many trip reports suggesting to head directly to the IC. To tour or not to tour? That is the question! LOL!

*Redeye to LAX

*Afternoon flight from LAX to Toronto

*Back to reality!

Is there anything we're missing? Any Moorea restaurants we absolutely must visit? (I'm sure everyone has a different fave!) As mentioned, we like to snorkel, but also like to read on the beach and are not fans of bus tours. We like to be active so we don't mind doing a lot.

Thanks again, everybody! We really appreciate it! I'll keep my promise to share loads of photos here when we return! :champagne-toast:

Edited by BeachTunes

You could ask those questions to 10 people and get 10 different answers ;)

I will only comment on the 'tour' the day you get off the ship. If you've never done the tour .... do it, it's well worth it. As so many are returnees I understand many wouldn't want to take again but for the newbie you should do it.

I'll try to comment on the stuff I know. But don't over-plan. You may find on Moorea particularly that you've bitten off too much.

*We'll aim to get to LAX by 6:30pm. Is this reasonable for the 10:55pm flight? We'd rather be early than late!

PPT Arrival and Ferry to Moorea (Tuesday/Wednesday)

*Land around 5am. Hail a taxi to the ferry terminal after customs.

*We know ferry schedules can change but would it be realistic to think we could catch the 7:20am ferry?

I think you've asked that before--the 7:20am ferry is cutting it close, but no need to buy your tickets in advance. We made the Terevau, at 8-something.

As for LAX, three hours prior is standard, padding it a bit never hurts, but I don't believe that the ATN desks will be open much earlier than 3 hours prior, I could be wrong.

Moorea Day One (Wednesday)

*Go for a walk if our room isn't ready when we arrive.

*Lunch at Snack Mahana. Any fave dishes? I don't eat seafood (long story) but my husband eats everything.

No fish either, eh? Chicken's probably your best bet. For your husband, fish sandwich (mahi?) or poisson crue, the local ubiquitous, wonderful dish. Walking is kind of boring in that area, btw, and hot. We had a car, so went for a drive.

Moorea Pre-Cruise Day Three (Friday):

*ATV Tour with Albert's Tours - Booked! - Goes to Belvedere, Magic Mountain, Juice Factory, etc

*Lunch at one of the roulottes in Le Petit Village (Suggestions welcome!)

*Pre-dinner drinks at Les Tipaniers beach bar. I read they often have music on Fridays - It will be Friday!

You could just stay and do dinner at Les Tipaniers. I don't really remember roulottes at Le Petit Village, but I could be wrong--some decent shopping there, including groceries, but also pearls, several restaurants.

Embarkation Day (Saturday):

Option 1: Moorea Beach Club for brunch on route to the ferry to Papeete. If we do this we would take the 3pm Terevau ferry. There is one more ferry at 4pm with Aremiti. Both the 3pm and 4pm seem to be cutting it close if anything goes wrong. No?

Option 2: Take the 12:30pm Terevau ferry to Papeete which would give us two hours prior to boarding... Cross our fingers we could drop our two large suitcases off at the pier and go to the market and grab lunch somewhere. If we aren't able to drop our bags it looks like the ferry terminal has outdoor dining as does Les 3 Brasseurs close to the ship. ...

I don't think 4pm would be cutting it close, really. You can just decide at the time--you don't have to buy tickets in advance. I wouldn't count on being able to drop off your suitcases if you choose option #2, although spending time in town is fun especially the Marché. And yes, there is an outdoor cafe a the ferry terminal--nothing great, but not a bad place to sit and drink a coffee for an hour.

If you don't get to go to the Marché beforehand, you can drop your bags and go back into town after boarding.

Moorea Cruise Day One (Thursday):

*Dr Poole's Dolphin Watching Tour (Will book with PG shore excursions when the time comes.)

*Explore whatever bay we are docked in after the tour. Any way to know in advance what bay we'll dock at?

Oponahu Bay is the most common one these days, but you won't know for sure until you get there. You could check and see if there's another ship in port that day, that might help. The vendors will set up no matter which dock you tender to.

Thank you so much TBK and Wendy! It's helpful hearing from seasoned PG cruisers! We'll be sure to go with the flow and not plan too much.

I admit I'm asking so many questions because I'm just too excited about this cruise! I've been to Hawaii and Australia before but know French Polynesia will be very special. It will be my husband's first time in this part of the world so we simply can't wait. December will be here before we know it. Thank you for helping us bide the time until then!

Hi BeachTunes,

My husband and I are also from Toronto and have just completed our first trip to French Polynesia as well...we did the 10 night cruise in July and loved it!

I just posted a TR on this forum, but a few reflections to your plan which looks well organized:

- We love to snorkel as well (and have also travelled numerous times to Hawaii and once to Australia for snorkelling)...our favourite excursions on this trip included the two we did on Bora Bora for snorkelling...Pure Snorkelling (which you have booked) and Raanui Tours for an amazing up close experience with sharks and rays..highly recommend both.

- I was hesitant to initially book anything on Huahine, but as TBK says, we were first-timers and are so glad that we booked Marc's Motu tour....it was a great way to see the island. We had our first encounter snorkelling with sharks and a wonderful motu lunch...very picturesque. I do recommend doing this...it is a private tour. Ask Marc to be back by 3 pm and you will make it in plenty of time to see the Moonfish demonstration which is interesting.

- Honestly, I would pass on the Dr. Poole's dolphin tour...while it is a way to see the island, you will have spent some time on Moorea in advance and truthfully, it was "meh". I would instead consider an ATV tour and look into snorkelling with another excursion...or just enjoy the ship that day (we kayaked from the ship's marina one of our day's on Moorea).

- They don't really hold your suitcases in advance of boarding the ship...so my husband sat with them (that had an area with ice water and some shade set up) and I ran to the market in Papeete to pick up some small gifts.

We did an overnight in Los Angeles on the way home to break up the flight from Papeete as we had also flown to Tahiti from Bora Bora where we had stayed post-cruise.

Have an wonderful time....you will LOVE this spectacular part of the world and the ship and staff are AMAZING!

Cheers,

Lisa :)

Hi BeachTunes,

My husband and I are also from Toronto and have just completed our first trip to French Polynesia as well...we did the 10 night cruise in July and loved it!

I just posted a TR on this forum, but a few reflections to your plan which looks well organized:

- We love to snorkel as well (and have also travelled numerous times to Hawaii and once to Australia for snorkelling)...our favourite excursions on this trip included the two we did on Bora Bora for snorkelling...Pure Snorkelling (which you have booked) and Raanui Tours for an amazing up close experience with sharks and rays..highly recommend both.

- I was hesitant to initially book anything on Huahine, but as TBK says, we were first-timers and are so glad that we booked Marc's Motu tour....it was a great way to see the island. We had our first encounter snorkelling with sharks and a wonderful motu lunch...very picturesque. I do recommend doing this...it is a private tour. Ask Marc to be back by 3 pm and you will make it in plenty of time to see the Moonfish demonstration which is interesting.

- Honestly, I would pass on the Dr. Poole's dolphin tour...while it is a way to see the island, you will have spent some time on Moorea in advance and truthfully, it was "meh". I would instead consider an ATV tour and look into snorkelling with another excursion...or just enjoy the ship that day (we kayaked from the ship's marina one of our day's on Moorea).

- They don't really hold your suitcases in advance of boarding the ship...so my husband sat with them (that had an area with ice water and some shade set up) and I ran to the market in Papeete to pick up some small gifts.

We did an overnight in Los Angeles on the way home to break up the flight from Papeete as we had also flown to Tahiti from Bora Bora where we had stayed post-cruise.

Have an wonderful time....you will LOVE this spectacular part of the world and the ship and staff are AMAZING!

Cheers,

Lisa :)

Thank you Lisa! We loved your trip report and pictures! Your pointers are appreciated!

We especially appreciate your feedback on Dr Poole's excursion. It won't even be whale watching season while we are there so we will probably give it a pass.

We have an ATV tour booked during our pre-cruise stay in Moorea. Kayaking off the ship's marina is a must for us. We planned to do that in Huahine but your pictures of the Jurassic Park-esque scenery while kayaking in Moorea are making us rethink things!

And it's great to know that Marc's tour can be wrapped up in time to make it back to the ship for the moonfish presentation. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks again, fellow Torontonian! :)

various thoughts

You will not be able to leave your bags on the docks in advance of boarding. Used to allow this but no longer. We had to schlep bags over to Les 3 Brasseurs. Hadn't thought of going back to the Ferry cafe; it's a thought.

Things were pretty quiet in Huahine on Sunday when we were there last December. Supermarket was open in the morning and a few shops. Walked by the Huahine Yacht club on the way to the beach; no one was sitting on the tables outside; don't think they were open. Did not see anywhere to have a drink and the TiFaiFai shop was closed. From where the ship's shuttle drops you off, if you walk past the Yacht Club and a field right after, you'll come to a small but lovely beach. Its part of the same beach the Maitai Lapita uses (and the ship charges you to take you to for lunch/pool/beach). Local families were enjoying themselves.

Either bay in Moorea is optimal for kayaking (breathtaking really) but you never know what will be going on weather wise so if its important to you good to do so in Huahine. Also offered on the motus.

Do no miss the motu in Bora Bora. Too many people treat as an afterthought/if we have time we'll go.... Its spectacular and very, very different from the motu in Tahaa. I believe Patrick tour in BB will stop at the same place as your ray excursion the next day; others will know for sure, but I think you're duplicating some there. Would skip Bloody Marys but that is just us, we're not bucket list type of people. We also thought the Dolphin excursion on Moorea was skippable though many people seem to enjoy.

Thank you Lisa! We loved your trip report and pictures! Your pointers are appreciated!

We especially appreciate your feedback on Dr Poole's excursion. It won't even be whale watching season while we are there so we will probably give it a pass.

We have an ATV tour booked during our pre-cruise stay in Moorea. Kayaking off the ship's marina is a must for us. We planned to do that in Huahine but your pictures of the Jurassic Park-esque scenery while kayaking in Moorea are making us rethink things!

And it's great to know that Marc's tour can be wrapped up in time to make it back to the ship for the moonfish presentation. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks again, fellow Torontonian! :)

Happy to help!

We tried to do a whale watch, post cruise while on Bora Bora but we were too early in the season.

Awesome that you will be doing the ATV tour on Moorea...and, yes, the views from the kayak on Moorea were amazing.

If you do Marc’s tour, just let them know in advance that you wish to be back earlier (at 3:00 pm)....he arranged an earlier drive back for those from the cruise.

Sooo excited for you....have a wonderful trip and I look forward to reading your reflections!

:) Lisa 🇨🇦

Personally, I make it a point to take Dr. Poole's tour. I've probably done it 4 or 5 times.

The perspective of Moorea from sea is breathtaking and different.

Poole is a working marine biologist. Your money is used to support his work. He has been very very active and effective as one of the leaders of the fight against the Japanese whalers, for example.

He has information on whales and dolphins that you are unlikely to get from any other source, since some of that information is from his own current research.

Last time with him we ran into a pod of dolphins, and he knew a number of them by name. One he had known for something like 20 years.

He is equally passionate about the Polynesian culture and ecosystem, especially Moorea.

I'm not saying that Lrorogers' advice is wrong for Lrorogers, but it is wrong for me. Whether it is right for you is something only you can decide.

The type of excursion one seeks is often dictated by your personality and the things you enjoy. If your active you will seek something active, if your an environmentalist at heat you will seek excursions which stress such.

The nice thing is there is a variety of excursions that meet the needs of almost everyone.

In general Bora Bora is primarily about the lagoon. On Moorea it's primarily about the land/terrain. In Bora Bora I would focus on excursions in the water and on Moorea primarily on land. Not to say you can't go 4X4 on Bora Bora or in the lagoon on Moorea .... but in general the vast majority of people who have experienced both would concur with my suggestion.

One last piece of advise. Things are generally done a bit slower in French Polynesia. Relax and go with the flow .... such as the ferry, if you make the 7:20 am ferry fine ... if you don't, don't worry, go find something to do for a bit.

At LAX .... 6:30 pm is early. Counter should open around 7:00 pm but often people start lining up early. Unless you are there to try and claim an upgrade I would say to get to LAX at 7:45 - 8:00 pm. The line has typically bee absorbed a bit and you will get through quicker. However, if it's your first trip having conversation while waiting in line with others is fun .... well for me it is as I like to talk and interact.

I agree with TBK re flow; unlike other cruises, PG is not one to overschedule; enjoy your very small ship; engage with the Gauguine/Gauguin and other crew members. They really sparkle and have so much to offer/are really engaging.

Thank you sita, David and TBK! All of your input is extremely helpful!

Lots for us to think about including Marc's tour in Huahine, Dr Poole's tour and the PG beach in Bora Bora. Time is on our side, fortunately. And since I sense we will be overcome with the FP flu, it's nice to know we can always return to do what we missed!

I know I've made myself sound like a neurotic, schedule-abiding over-planner but I promise I'm much more laid back in person. :cool:

I know I've made myself sound like a neurotic, schedule-abiding over-planner but I promise I'm much more laid back in person. ... :cool:

My partner, Wendy the Wanderer, does all the planning for our trips. My job is basically to show up at the airport on time. It is a gift which I treasure.

BeachTunes why not head over to our December 8th Roll Call ? Your plans look interesting ! https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2577447

I will pop by the roll call for sure, azlew! I have noticed by virtue of the Paul Gauguin being a smaller ship, the roll calls are a little quieter than those of other lines, which is A-OK with me. We are really looking forward to the smaller ship experience!