Cruise Critic Community
Shocker4

Apps like Duo or Skype while onboard

Has anyone successfully used these apps while sailing?

We have 5 cabins of people to stay in touch while on board & would love a bonus of staying in touch with others stateside, if these apps will work.

Tonight, while on a business trip, I simulated the ship experience & turned my airplane mode on, then turned on wi-fi for my hotel& used Duo to successfully chat with my husband. Will this work similarly while on board? My understanding is that I don't have to pay to connect with ships Wi-fi on Carnival?

Best to ask this on the Carnival board even though it is a technology related question.

Don't think it will work. The reason being that cruise ships are connecting via satellite not land based WiFi and there is considerably less bandwidth.

Never sailed with Carnival, but I suspect their wi-fi is probably consistent with other lines, as they all use satellites.

On our last World Cruise, we were able to Skype with our grandson occasionally. To get sufficient bandwidth we had to time it when others weren't using the system - very early in morning, or in port when most were ashore. At other times, we did not have sufficient bandwidth for Skype.

Most cruise lines also charge hefty fees for wi-fi. Only some of the premium/luxury lines provide free wi-fi.

No can't do, unless your devices can "ping" the Google or MSN servers for Duo/Skype or whatever - you can probably connect to the closed looped inTRAnet side of the ship's IT network, but not without paying for access to data (via satellite relays) on the WiFi inTERnet side of the systems.

Haven't sailed on CCL in a while but unless they've been generous, unlikely to get a free ride on their WiFi to the open/external servers.

Using "paid" satellite WiFi, however, I have no problems using Google's Hangouts, Ooma and FB Messenger for audio and video calling ... my Skype usage has fallen off the cliff in the last several years, missed those good old Blackberry days.