Pride of America skips Big Island calls as Lane moves in

BirdTravels

At some point the POA will likely have to head out to sea to move away from the current possible storm tracks. The current models put all the Hawaiian islands on the dangerous side of the storm. Don't envy the current passengers, who may get unloaded in Honolulu right before the storm hits...but it's all a matter of timing.

Edited by VideoTech

Safest course for PoA would be to take several days at sea heading NE from Kauai and then wrap back to Big Island once it's clearly moved west of there.

Big Island may be taking precautions but it's Kauai that is really at risk right now. I was supposed to be there when Inikki hit. Bad stuff.

They did not skip the big island entirely, they refused arranged the itinerary and will stop there later in the week Wednesday or Thursday

Not today. And tomorrow will be at he height of the storm. Sailing north and east, Hiding on the lee side of the islands would be the place to go.

A little good news. Forecast to lose strength and be a tropical storm by the time it reaches the Kauai area and remain offshore of any islands until then still.

Sure hope so. My cousin owns a condo on the big island and had original flight home booked for Friday-hoping she can leave Hawaii with no damage. At this point she was told Friday flight is not guaranteed - all depends on hurricane.

Not today. And tomorrow will be at he height of the storm. Sailing north and east, Hiding on the lee side of the islands would be the place to go.

Position of the POA (20 hours ago) destination Nawiliwili (port of Kauai) LINK:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-153.9/centery:19.8/zoom:7

The image is zoomable - - -

The big blue ship in the left corner of the image is the POA - mouse click on it for details

Interesting weather data LINK:

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2018-08-03-hawaii-hurricane-tropical-typical-track-history

More info data LINKs:

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2018-08-22-hurricane-lane-rare-unusual-storm-forecast-rain-threat

https://weather.com/safety/hurricane/news/2018-08-21-hurricane-lane-preparations-hawaii-honolulu

The hiding will actually be on the windward side of the islands (north and east) of the storm rather than the

leeward side which is south and west of each of the islands like being in the eye of the tiger (storm).

Reference Oahu Waikiki is the lee side of the island and Kaneohe is the windward side.

In any event a near miss is going to be a rough ride - surfs up ! Really up and no the POA will

not be doing a pipeline stunt. Good plan to reverse the port schedule as an alternative if that is what

the NCL game plan is going to be. The cruise distance between the islands is easily done - shore excursions

maybe subject to alterations of times and places visited.

Volcanoes and now a big tropical storm - what more excitement could you want out of your cruise destination ?

Check your travel plans and also any insurance you have for alternatives !

May the Force GO AWAY from your cruise island trip !

I just watched an updated report about the hurricane online and they are telling residents to stock up on 14 days worth of water and food. Gas is selling out and stores are having the shelves emptied. They are saying the islands could get up to 18 inches of rain even if the storm doesn’t hit land causing major flooding and mudslides. The groups sailing there the next few weeks may be quite iffy on land. I’m supposed to go 9/8

It will be interesting, how they handle the unloading of the current passengers----and the boarding of the next group. This is always a Sat?? Sun?? event at Honolulu~~~~~ and that's when the worst of LANE may be striking that area.

It will be interesting, how they handle the unloading of the current passengers----and the boarding of the next group. This is always a Sat?? Sun?? event at Honolulu~~~~~ and that's when the worst of LANE may be striking that area.

Flying in to Honolulu on Friday(8/24) afternoon. And embarking on the POA on Saturday(8/25).

Looks dismal. But trying to stay hopeful. NCL is not communicating any status info.

Flying in to Honolulu on Friday(8/24) afternoon. And embarking on the POA on Saturday(8/25).

Looks dismal. But trying to stay hopeful. NCL is not communicating any status info.

We have the same itinerary.

Just had a text from brother-in-law who is on the POA right now. They were at Kauai overnight last night, and now heading out to sea about 250 miles. Ports are closed, all ships are heading out to sea. He says it is uncertain whether they will be able to dock in Honolulu at the supposed end of their cruise on Saturday.

We have the same itinerary.

I wish NCL would give us some direction or status. We are sitting here in NC wondering if we should get on the plane friday.. I would like a credit and reschedule at a future date.

Just had a text from brother-in-law who is on the POA right now. They were at Kauai overnight last night, and now heading out to sea about 250 miles. Ports are closed, all ships are heading out to sea. He says it is uncertain whether they will be able to dock in Honolulu at the supposed end of their cruise on Saturday.

Wow what an adventure! Thanks for the update. We are scheduled to be on POA 9/1. Just watching, waiting and praying for all involved. Please keep us posted if you hear from them again!

Good luck and be safe, for all those sailing on or soon on the POA. Stock up & bring along your preferred motion meds, might be in for quite a ride at sea over the coming days.

For those still on schedule to fly in tomorrow and Friday, check with your airlines and also latest news in HNL about airport status, closings and cancellations. Here's one of the news link with a good overview:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/******80/list-closures-cancellations-due-to-threat-of-hurricane-lane

We have extended family that live & work in Honolulu and they are making final preparations, expected to shelter-in-place as the hurricane get closer, watch status will possibly become official warnings. On live chats with them earlier, they feel it's best to be cautious & over prepare ... thoughts & prayers going out.

On land, urban flash flooding resulting from the wind-driven rain, mudslide and block roads will be major challenges in the coming days. Ships are heading out to sea, including naval ships in ports, to ride out the storm.

Island's ham radio/ RACES nets are active, testing out their repeaters & volunteers checking in ... tune to 2 meters for the latest QSL, should communication links go down with power outage ... these folks provided vital relay links when the hurricane came thru the Caribbeans last year.

Thanks Aqua2 for that valuable information!! When I called NCL this afternoon, they refused to answer that question saying anything dealing with the current voyage does not pertain to me. Somehow, not being able to embark at the appointed time because passengers could not disembark does pertain to me. If you could keep us informed about what they are told about disembarking, it will be very helpful for those of us on the next voyage.

I had the same itinerary as kunah and gsmithok, but I switched to a Saturday flight. I was just too worried about that flight getting cancelled.

Interestingly, NCL did tell me that should I miss the cruise, I would be able to embark at a different port with no fees, as it is a US-registered ship on a US itinerary. But there is no guarantee the itinerary won't change or that they would even be in port. They also said that the ship would leave at the designated time on the first day, even if you call them and inform them that you will be late.

So please Aqua2, whatever you hear from your brother-in-law, is invaluable! Thank you again!

Any guesses on what NCL would do should they disembark late?

It certainly seems possible, to me..... that flights will not come into HNL this w/e due to the hurricane. I'm in Hilo / watching news non- stop. LANE's path and when it turns west ( away from main islands ) is very uncertain.