The oldest ship You sailed on

JMorris271

SS Empire Clyde. Built 1921.

A troop-ship (a D-Day veteran), sailed her in about 1956 UK to Hong Kong (father in the British army).

Returned to UK a couple of years later on SS Empire Fowey (built 1935), another troop-ship.

First cruise was on MS Dunera, built 1937 as a troop-ship & converted to an educational cruise ship in 1960/61.

Sailed her on a Baltic cruise, including Leningrad, in 1961.

It's a pretty safe guess that Heidi13 also sailed SS Uganda on a schools' cruise.

Happy days :)

JB :)

Mine was The Victoria with Chandris Cruise Lines (predecessor to Celebrity Cruise Lines).

She was built in 1936 and when we sailed on her in 1984, she was 48 years old.

We took a 10 night roundtrip cruise from San Juan that took us down to Aruba, Cartagena, Colombia, Colon, Panama, Limon, Costa Rica, San Andres Island and Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

I remember that on our way between San Andres and Santo Domingo, we had propulsion issues and the ship limped for 2 days missing Santo Domingo and arriving back in San Juan late in the evening instead of our early morning arrival on debarkation day.

She was old and obviously had her mechanical issues but I still have very fond memories from that trip. And I will never forget San Andres, a beautiful island off the coast of Central America that you never see on itineraries anymore and many people don’t even know that it exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a pretty safe guess that Heidi13 also sailed SS Uganda on a schools' cruise.

Happy days :)

JB :)

John,

I spent 3 months on the Uganda in the Meddy, back in the days when I was but a lowly cadet. We spent 3 cruises on the Bridge and every 4th cruise playing sports with the school kids during the day and then ran the evening disco. Brilliant ship.

I just booked a cruise last month and just now see that the cruise ship Millennium was launched in 2000.

Can you remember which is your oldest cruise ship?

Thanks for starting this thread. Just seeing the names again of some of the classic liners is most nostalgic. Happy memories.

Not as old as some, but my first cruise was in 2003 on the Sun Princess, believe she was built in 1995. I also sailed on the millennium back in 2011, thought she was a lovely ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Earliest built - Clarkson Holidays (a now defunct UK tour operator) 'MV Delos' (built 1951 as Paquet Lines 'Azzemour'), sailed 1972, so only 21 years old.

Oldish at sailing time:

African Safari Club 'Royal Star', built 1956, sailed 1995 (39 years old)

Galapagos Tourism 'Ambasador I', built 1958, sailed 2000 (42 years old)

and maybe the one most will have heard of:

Cunard 'Caronia', built 1973, sailed 2000 (27 years old).

and youngest: Celebrity 'Summit', built 2001, sailed 2002

Fun thread.

It's gone now, but in the early 80's we sailed on the "Britanis" of the Chandris Line, forerunner of "Celebrity. It was built in 1931 as the "Monterey" for the Matson Line running from San Francisco to/from Hawaii.