Fram's polarkirkel boats vs zodiacs on other expedition ships?

GeezerCouple

Is Fram the only ship with the "polarkirkel boats" instead of zodiacs for expeditions/excursions off the cruise ship?

Does anyone know if the newer "green" Hurtigruten expedition ships will have zodiacs or polarkirkel boats?

The polarkirkel boats seem to be a bit easier to deal with, but I've only been able to find some brief comments, not a "serious comparison".

Are the polarkirkel boats a strictly Hurtigruten thing, or do other cruise lines use them (or similar)?

Or are we making a bigger "thing" out of these, and they really aren't that different from zodiacs anyway?

Many thanks!

GC

Is Fram the only ship with the "polarkirkel boats" instead of zodiacs for expeditions/excursions off the cruise ship?

Does anyone know if the newer "green" Hurtigruten expedition ships will have zodiacs or polarkirkel boats?

The polarkirkel boats seem to be a bit easier to deal with, but I've only been able to find some brief comments, not a "serious comparison".

Are the polarkirkel boats a strictly Hurtigruten thing, or do other cruise lines use them (or similar)?

Or are we making a bigger "thing" out of these, and they really aren't that different from zodiacs anyway?

Many thanks!

GC

Being a senior, one of the reasons I chose Hurtigruten's Fram was because of its polarkirkel boats. I felt they would be easier to get in to and it would be good to have something to hold on to. I felt confident using them. I didn't see any other cruise line using them when I visited Antarctica.

Polarcirkel is the Norwegian word for ‘Arctic circle’ and the boats made by an Norwegian company. The Hurtigruten Polarcirkel boats are specially designed for Hurtigruten while Zodiac boats tend to be more standardized. The Polarcirkel boats are working boats widely used within in e.g. fish farming, marine industry, oil and gas industry, emergency services, and military (like Zodiac boats).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We haven't seen Polarcirkels in use on any Arctic or Antarctic expedition ship other than Fram. All others have used zodiacs and, in our opinion and experience, the Polarcirkels are much more user-friendly both in terms of getting in and out of them and in holding on while in them.

Hurtigruten's Midnatsol uses zodiacs to move the larger number of passengers she carries and I would expect the new ships they have coming along, which will carry a similar number of passengers as Midnatsol, to do the same.

Thanks!

Interesting that no one else uses the Polarcirkels.

Are they made *only* for Hurtigruten and just for the one ship?

I wonder why other ships don't use them, given how they are "easier" for passengers, and also just look more secure.

That might tilt our choices to Fram, IF we decide to do an "expedition" trip rather than a sail by.

(No, no need to encourage us to do the expedition; we've already got another thread on that in the Antarctica sub-forum here on CC ;) There will be several personal reasons for our decision.)

GC

Thanks!

Interesting that no one else uses the Polarcirkels.

Are they made *only* for Hurtigruten and just for the one ship?

I wonder why other ships don't use them, given how they are "easier" for passengers, and also just look more secure.

They're used as working boats rather than passenger transfer boats. Google them?

Possibly not used by others because they take only eight at a time rather than the quite-a-lot-more of the zodiacs?

That might tilt our choices to Fram, IF we decide to do an "expedition" trip rather than a sail by.

(No, no need to encourage us to do the expedition; we've already got another thread on that in the Antarctica sub-forum here on CC ;) There will be several personal reasons for our decision.)

Then I shall avoid the temptation to encourage you!

Regarding the boats used by different ships for landings in Antarctica, my advice is not to get too hung up on a name! Some ships use relatively small inflatable boats, often referred to as Zodiac's, zlthoual that is a trade name. These are typically powered by a 25hp - 40hp tiller controlled outbard motor. They typically carry 6-10 passengers.

The inflatable boats especially the larger boats, sometimes have aluminium or glass fibre hulls instead of just fabric.

The boats used on Midnatsol (not sure if the same as used on the Fram) are larger, which helps them cope much better in rougher conditions if reqyiere, and were on the Antarctic trip we were on, powered by 200hp outboards controlled from a steering console, and the boats coukc carry 20 passengers plus crew. In no way did their extra size restrict where they could operate and were able to land on rocky beaches.

Do as I said before, don't get to concerned as to the exact type of boat used!

Having had plenty of experience of both Polarcirkels and zodiacs I would go for the Polarcirkel every time. Easier to get on and off, and a much easier 'ride experience'.

I agree. I am about to use them again this month. As a senior, the easier the better!