Land route Copenhagen to Southampton

Hi all, We are doing a TA and Baltic cruise spring of 2019. We will end in Copenhagen. Looking for the best way to get from Copenhagen to Southampton, England. We have several days to make the trip. Would prefer not to drive, but always an option as a last resort. Train looks like a good option but not familiar with Eurail.

Thanks in advance

Mike

I just checked it on bahn.com and the train trip would have AT LEAST 4 changes and most considerably more. However, that was for one continuous trip. I suggest you decide first where you would like to stay over and then check out routings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not easy to go by train from Copenhagen to Southampton - just curious - reason for Southampton?

I'll suggest that you do take a flight from Copenhagen (CPH) to London (LHR) and then the express bus from LHR to Southampton - probably also cheaper than train - and for sure much faster.

An option is also a rental car . might also be very expensive - take time and driving in the left side in UK.

Happy to help with further questions,

So all the naysayers has has arrived :-)

A train trip is a wonderful way to experience Europe and there seems to be 2 common routes.

Copenhagen - Hamburg - Cologne - Brussels - London - Southampton.

or

Copenhagen - Hamburg - Mannheim - Paris - London - Southampton

This gives you some exciting cities to visit on the way, especially Hamburg, Cologne and Paris is worth a stop.

Mannheim is not that big and Brussels is mostly offices (or so I have heard)

Travel time from Copenhagen to Hamburg is 4 hours and 41 minutes and includes the ferry trip where the train boards the ferry over the Fehmarn Belt.

Then you have 2 options

Hamburg to Cologne is between 3:33 and 4:04 hours depending on ICE, EC and IC connections

Cologne to Brussels Midi is around 1:52 with the Thalys ans ICE trains, some a few minutes shorter and some a few minutes longer.

Brussels Midi to London Sankt Pancras International takes around 2:40 to 2:48 with Thalys to Lille Europe where the border checks are and further on to Londondon with Eurostar.

London to Southampton takes between 1:23 and 1:33 from both Waterloo and Paddington.

Or

Hamburg to Mannheim is 4:19 to 4:32 with the ICE high speed train.

Mannheim to Paris Est is 2:59 to 3:13 with the ICE or TGV trains

Paris Nord to London Sankt Pancras International is 1:24 on the Eurostar.

London to Southampton takes between 1:23 and 1:33 from both Waterloo and Paddington.

Thanks for the advice and various options. Reason for Southampton is we are ultimately taking the Queen Mary back to the US. Wife does not fly any more so air travel not an option, plus would like to see as much of that part of Europe while we are there.

Thanks Danish Viking, I think the train will probably be our best option. We still need to decide what route to take but looks like several routes will get us there eventually.

Thanks to all

Mike

Thanks for the advice and various options. Reason for Southampton is we are ultimately taking the Queen Mary back to the US. Wife does not fly any more so air travel not an option, plus would like to see as much of that part of Europe while we are there.

Thanks Danish Viking, I think the train will probably be our best option. We still need to decide what route to take but looks like several routes will get us there eventually.

Thanks to all

Mike

Thank you for the additional details - Make sense:cool:

Danish Viking...… Do you know if they run multiple trains throughout the day from city to city. For example, could we take train from Copenhagen to Hamburg, get off and spend time there and catch a later train the same day to Brussels or would we have to wait until the next day to leave Hamburg?

Thanks,

MIke

Danish Viking...… Do you know if they run multiple trains throughout the day from city to city. For example, could we take train from Copenhagen to Hamburg, get off and spend time there and catch a later train the same day to Brussels or would we have to wait until the next day to leave Hamburg?

Thanks,

MIke

There are very frequent trains in this part of Europe. Changes are also pretty easy and just the matter of going down and escalator and back up to a different platform.

Someone above alluded to it above - Bahn has a great search engine for all of Europe. You can play with the routes and find good places to stop.

Their English site is http://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml

Thanks,

MIke

All the connections has almost one train each hour except for the Copenhagen Hamburg train that only departs 3-5 times a day depending on the time of year.

But it should be possible but you will either arrive very late in Brussels or only have a few hours in Hamburg.

So I would probably stay a night in Hamburg or Cologne on the way instead.

If you take the early train out of Copenhagen you are in Hamburg around 12

Then you can take a morning train to Cologne and further on to Brussels later that day.

If you're wanting to take the train, I'd suggest looking at seat61.com - there's some great information on that site about travelling from/to the UK from other European countries.

FWIW - I'd much rather do the journey by train than air, it'd be a whole lot more interesting!

If you're wanting to take the train, I'd suggest looking at seat61.com - there's some great information on that site about travelling from/to the UK from other European countries.

FWIW - I'd much rather do the journey by train than air, it'd be a whole lot more interesting!

While I agree that the train will be more interesting than a plane, this route will require a lot of moving bags on and off trains. I'd suggest they pack lightly, but this seems to be between a Baltic cruise and a trans-Atlantic cruise, and I have a feeling that they will have a fair bit of luggage.

• 4 months later...

Danish Viking -Happy New Year!  I realize this is an old thread but I was hoping you might check in. I have been looking at the Bahn.de website.  Copenhagen to Hamburg. Several trains throughout the day (June 20). I understand the train goes on the ferry.  

Just wondering if I will have to change trains or if there is a direct train?   It says 1 change, and it only gives 3-4 minutes for the change — but it’s on the same track. 

Any help understanding how this might work would be greatly appreciated.

The trains does go by two diffetent routes from Hamburg to Copenhagen - trains with change in Nykøbing F is via ferry while trains with change in Frederecia is via the Storebælt Bridge.

In general the change In Nykøbing F is at the same platform while at Frederecia it will be at different platforms. The time for change will be sufficient.  

Just avoid trains with more than one change. All different platforms.

I have been taking the train from Hamburg several times - very convenient.

Its weird when i look i find 5 direct trains withouth any change. 

7:35, 9:35, 11:35 and 15:35 from København H (Copenhagen central station) all goes directly to Hamburg HBF (central station). 

You will have to leave the train on the ferry because of safety measures but the train will be locked during the crossing so you can leave the luggage on board. 

Edited by Danish viking

2 hours ago, Danish viking said:

7:35, 9:35, 11:35 and 15:35 from København H (Copenhagen central station) all goes directly to Hamburg HBF (central station). 

There is a change by March 30 - in June only 23:00 will be direct from Copenhagen to Hamburg

Thank you, Hallasm and Danish Viking. This was the exact confusion I’ve been experiencing checking the train websites.  I was hoping for that 11:35 direct train, but couldn’t seem to find it again!

After leaving the cruise in Copenhagen, I’ll “train” to Hamburg to pick up the QM2 the following day. I would like to purchase tickets for the train.....as soon as I know which train I’ll be on!  I think it says I can purchase in March, and I think I’ll need reservations. 

Any additional tips/info is greatly appreciated.

You might be able to take the train from Østerport (Oesterport) without a change at Copenhagen Central - might be more convinient if your cruise arrival is the same day.

You can book tickets 3 months in advance at bahn.com.

in June a seat reservation is required- booked in addition to the fare.

Again, the change in Nykøbing F will be at the same platform.

I will be disembarking the Serenade of the Seas on Thursday, June 20 @ Oceankaj and taking a taxi to Copenhagen Central Station for train to Hamburg.  At least that was the original plan!  Is Oesterport station closer to the cruiseport?

1 hour ago, FLKrewzer said:

I will be disembarking the Serenade of the Seas on Thursday, June 20 @ Oceankaj and taking a taxi to Copenhagen Central Station for train to Hamburg.  At least that was the original plan!  Is Oesterport station closer to the cruiseport?

Østerport is 10 minutes while Central Station is 20 minutes by taxi - actually the trains will originate from Østerport, platform 12. The station is much smaller and less busy. 

If it is indeed track 12 you are better off with a taxi the busses (25 and 27) will drop you off at the far side of the station compared to track 12.

If the direct link to the pdf file doesn´t work then try this one, on the menu called "se mere her" you press on the second link to get the pdf file.

https://www.dsb.dk/kampagner/osterport19/ 

https://www.dsb.dk/globalassets/kampagne/osterport19/oesterport_oversigtsplan_2017_syd.pdf

The main hall is under renovation but should open summer 2019, but if that is before or after your travel date is a good question.

But if you have your ticket printed out before then you don´t need to be in the main hall as there was only a ticket office and a 7/Eleven.

If the hall is not open yet, you can then get refreshments for the trip in the next door Irma supermarket.

The map was great to actually visualize where to go.  Thank you!

I will make sure I have a printed ticket in hand when I get to the station.  Where should I tell the taxi driver to drop me off?  Are there many entrances at the station?