Packing rum runners

6 hours ago, Stmar said:

I think you misread or did not understand my question. I was asking why they changed their policy and smuggling was not the reason they outlawed water as you intimated.

My bad, I thought it was a rhetorical question. That is the very reason that Carnival gave for prohibiting bottles- it was taking too much time in security to check every bottle because of the large number of people replacing water and/or soda with booze. I have no reason to doubt them. Since they charge $4.50 for a 12 pack of water I hardly doubt that it's a money grab. My prediction for the next thing to go- the complimentary wine that many lines allow to be brought on board, again because of folks replacing the wine with booze. 

I still contend that it is a revenue stream decision to ban alcohol. We bought the water, then the room stewart gave us two complimentary large bottles and the previous guests left half a case. We reciprocated and left what we did not use. Do you wonder the diff between wine and other alcohol?

2 hours ago, Stmar said:

I still contend that it is a revenue stream decision to ban alcohol. We bought the water, then the room stewart gave us two complimentary large bottles and the previous guests left half a case. We reciprocated and left what we did not use. Do you wonder the diff between wine and other alcohol?

They are a business and businesses need to make money to stay in business. I'm sure that revenue stream was top of the list but cruise lines have been sued when a passenger hurt themselves after drinking too much of their own booze so I'm sure that was a factor. As for the difference between a bottle of wine and a bottle of liquor you can get drunker on a bottle of liquor and yes, the cruise line stands to lose more money too. I applaud them trying to make more money off of alcohol sales because it helps to keep fares low.