Condition of Golden Princess

moki'smommy

We have been on the golden three time nows, the last been Nov 2018, no real problems, a couple of small leaks.... and a small fire in the AV control room on deck 6 ( lost tv and muts )

Overall the condition of the ship is fine, and are book to go on her again Feb 2019 and Dec 2019.

I think once people start on about it's an old ship ( 2001 ) it snowballs, there are lots of older ships our there particularly the upper end cruise lines.  So the ship is good, and the maintenance crew are always painting and fixing things,  with 2600 pax running round the place all the time, you except a little wear to show.

So the condition of the ship is good, fine, OK........ would I go her again..... yes ,

Cheers Don

• 3 weeks later...
On January 8, 2019 at 9:02 PM, NoPlaceLikeHome7 said:

I have a group of  14 going on the Golden Princess in August and I  am concerned about the negative reviews. Leaks, toilet backups, poor food selection.  What are we getting in to?

Hi!

We are sailing the Golden on August 3rd to Alaska with both sets of our parents. My husband and I have sailed Princess many times but this is the first on the Golden. And this is the first for either set of parents to be sailing on Princess. I am worried that we will not have the experience we are used to on Princess and that our elderly parents (on a fixed income) may not be happy with the condition of the ship. One expects a few things here and there but not buckets catching leaks everywhere. I hope that is not the case for our parents sake. This is a once in a lifetime trip for them and I chose Princess because it is supposed to be the best for the Alaska itinerary.  I hope I do not regret choosing the Golden.

Anyone been on here recently?

Thanks!!

Hi gregs1girl,

the golden princess is fine, do not worry, the ship is a little old school, meaning  lots of timber, and beige décor, it has a comfortable feel, friendly. cabin are good, plenty of places to walk around, including the promenade deck, so plenty of outside place to see the views.  As I said in my earlier post we are booked from another two cruises on the golden one in four week and the other at the end of year... and would definitely book another one of the golden.   

You will enjoy yourself, please do not think the ship is going to be full a buckets, it will not be,, part of it , is one state of mind... we just love being on the ship.... the cruise thing for us is the ship and being at sea...

So cabin and ship and the number ones, and we are very happy to be going on the Golden again in 25 days ( who is counting ? )  are we excited ? yes, we are able to go on another cruise....

The bottom line, you will have a great time, relax

Cheers Don 

2 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Hi gregs1girl,

the golden princess is fine, do not worry, the ship is a little old school, meaning  lots of timber, and beige décor, it has a comfortable feel, friendly. cabin are good, plenty of places to walk around, including the promenade deck, so plenty of outside place to see the views.  As I said in my earlier post we are booked from another two cruises on the golden one in four week and the other at the end of year... and would definitely book another one of the golden.   

You will enjoy yourself, please do not think the ship is going to be full a buckets, it will not be,, part of it , is one state of mind... we just love being on the ship.... the cruise thing for us is the ship and being at sea...

So cabin and ship and the number ones, and we are very happy to be going on the Golden again in 25 days ( who is counting ? )  are we excited ? yes, we are able to go on another cruise....

The bottom line, you will have a great time, relax

Cheers Don 

Thanks Don!!

I agree that anytime I'm on a cruise ship I am having a good time. This is more of a financial hardship for one set of our parents and I just really want them to feel they got a good value for their money. They usually only cruise cheaper cruise lines and itineraries. I am hoping for the best and that the beautiful scenery of Alaska and the Princess experience we have come to love as well as us spending a week together will make this a positive trip for all!!

Any older ship is going to have it's problems.    Crew are constantly maintaining and fixing.   We were on the Golden for 3 weeks and we had a great time.   Yes there was the occasional leak.     If you are concerned about your parents having a good time and wanting them to have a great impression of Princess then I would cancel your cruise and book the Royal Princess that will be on the West Coast.    The new design aims to impress.    For every so so review of older ships there are those that are good reviews.   Probably from us old timers that are just happy to be on a ship going some where.   Alaska is a great  cruise destination.

One thing to think about , before looking at the age of the ship, and if it is old right it off

All the Azamara fleet is built either 2000 or 2001.. ( so are they a l bit old do not go of them? )

Also some of Silver Sea fleet date back to the early 1990's

and don't go on the sea princess built 1998 way to old....

Just because a ship doesn't have wiz bang things, doesn't make it not worth going 

All I am saying don't dismiss things because they are older, ships, houses, furniture, and people

Right off the soap box and time for a G & T

Cheers Don