Snorkel with glasses ?

colababy

• 3 years later...
Yeah.. diving with glasses always be a problem.

My dad, which is 57 years old, have -5 eyes. And it's just sad when I know he wants to come along diving but he couldn't do so. :(

He can still get a mask, I have -6 in one eye and -6.5 in the other.:rolleyes:

I have never been much of a water person because without my glasses I can't see. 2 Years ago I sat on the boat while the rest of my group went snorkeling. After missing out on the fun before cruise this last March, I ordered generic -3.5 and -4. lenses on line. Cost was around $60 for mask and lenses. A friend ordered prescription specific lenses and the cost was more than $150. I don't believe she could see any better than I could. It was the best thing I ever could have done. I loved snorkeling and spent more time in the water than anyone of my group. I can actually swim and see, it was a great experience and I can;t wait til the next time. Invest it will be definately worth it.

Here's what I recommend if you have the right type of glasses, or an old pair of glasses. Remove the earpieces, and with the right type of mask, your glasses will fit inside. Go to a local dive shop and experiement with one of their masks. It is far cheaper, and there are masks out there with the right type of "lip" on the silicone skirt that "hold" your glasses in place.

Holy cow, what a great idea! Has anyone actually tried this? I have 2 pairs of old prescriptions which are close enough to my present one to use the lenses in my mask. How would I go about glueing them in???

I used boat window silicone to attach the old lenses to the outside of the mask. I did the outside so that they could not fog up. I didn't seal all the way around the lenses, but left spaces for water to wash through. Worked fine, I used that mask for several years. The next one was a ground in prescription--which was fine until I needed a new one. About the last 15 years I've used TUSA masks and their "drugstore glasses" lenses of various powers. A smallish problem with the old lenses attached to the outside of the mask was the distance to my eyes--It didn't bother me--but my glasses are down on my nose a lot anyway. Place the lenses where they will be most useful--probably a little below center. They could be moved after applying them as the silicone will be flexible and removable.

Archived