Snorkel or Dune Buggy?

southwardbound

We are first time cruisers and are looking to Carnival's Catamaran sail and snorkel or Dune Buggy jungle and beach safari. We will be cruising in April which is a busy time of year and were wondering your comments on these to excursion options. Thanks for your imput.:)

• 5 weeks later...

My wife, son (12) and I went on the dune buggy excursion the week before Christmas 05 and had a blast. You get to drive your own buggy, which is a VW chassis with a fiberglass body, just like the 70's conversions. There were about 12-15 buggies on our tour. You have to be able to drive a stick or maybe ride with someone who can. We first drove down the road to Mahahual then down an asphalt highway for about 15 miles. I think it was suppose to be the jungle but the vegetation is low. Some people saw monkeys in the trees. We then went along the coast in the sand a couple of miles to a private beach. We stayed there for about 45-60 min. The day we were there, the surf was high and we could only go so far into the water, better safe that sorry. We had some chips and salsa along with soda. Of course we followed the same route back to the pier area. Overall, I would recommend it. My wife, who is not much of an adventurer, had a lot of fun as well.

Archived