Plastic straws

Acrusa

You need to ask for them but they are trying to not use them

I already complained onboard it is very tricky to drink a milkshake without a straw

They can get non plastic straws like we had in the old days ;)

JMO

A friend of ours had given my wife an assortment of metal and reusuable plastic straws to take on cruises. Having never needed them she didn’t pack them, now she will.

We just returned from a week in Aruba...all paper straws...and the quality is much better than i remember as a kid...the straw will last the entire drink without bending and going soft...

That’s good to hear.When I mentioned plastic straws blowing into the sea in February after our Oceania cruise,I was chastised and written off.

Maybe Oceania listened to me.!!!,

Respectfully, I disagree. Paper straws do not have the same mouthfeel and almost inevitably disintegrate. A California 9-year old’s questionable study led to this growing hysteria over plastic straws. John Stossel has a great video on this online. There are items that are far worse for the environment. But these were an easy target, and are the thin end of the spear for zealots.

(And yes, ideally no shipboard non-biodegradable trash should ever end up just blowing into the sea.)

We will bring some plastic and metal straws with us....

• Like 1

Respectfully, I disagree. Paper straws do not have the same mouthfeel and almost inevitably disintegrate. A California 9-year old’s questionable study led to this growing hysteria over plastic straws. John Stossel has a great video on this online. There are items that are far worse for the environment. But these were an easy target, and are the thin end of the spear for zealots.

(And yes, ideally no shipboard non-biodegradable trash should ever end up just blowing into the sea.)

Agree with you JPR. So many cases of the environmental wackos wanting us to spend millions and billions of dollars to fix non-issues or get the last one tenth of a percent fixed. Enough is enough and if it is true about a 9 year olds questionable study, no different than crazy jerry doing his best to bankrupt California with his wild spending and idiotic policies that cannot be sustained.

Agree with you JPR. So many cases of the environmental wackos wanting us to spend millions and billions of dollars to fix non-issues or get the last one tenth of a percent fixed. Enough is enough and if it is true about a 9 year olds questionable study, no different than crazy jerry doing his best to bankrupt California with his wild spending and idiotic policies that cannot be sustained.

Wackos indeed. Plastic straws will soon be banned in San Francisco, soft drinks will not be served to children unless accompanied by a parent who orders for them but there will be no problem to continue to get free needles.

You got it right...this is a total bogus mass hysteria The picture of 1 turtle in the entire world that has a straw stuck in hos nose... ! ONE incident in the whole world. The insane, stupid reaction by everyone to embrace a 9 year olds made up disaster. that he had no data on ...just made it up. Next thing is that they want to stop cows from emitting methane.... They are writing laws NOW requiring cows to be required to fart 20% less by 2021. Just like car emissions......... The inmates are running the aslyum and the emperors new clothing line is going to be out for fall!!!!! Chicken Little told me so !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Every little bit helps. But I wish cruise ships could come up with an alternative to the endless plastic water bottles. I'd happily carry my own if the water onboard came from a reliable source, but it's often not that simple.

I agree on water bottles.... however, when the focus is on a situation that was not a problem, never was a problem, people get plain fed up and realize that if you give an inch the zealots and crazies will take miles. What will they want next !!!!

People who were caring are going to react by not caring and see any placation or pandering to the nut-jobs is only going to clear the way for more and more radical agendas. This stupid straw thing will turn off far more people from caring about the environment than it will enlist more support....... Any conservation idea in the future is going to fall on disfavor...form the general public who is fed up with this never ending demands on them....

Going to crummy paper straws by these duped corporation is going to create a lot of angry customers, and quietly the plastic straws will re appear. And the 9 yea rold's research will be forgotten before his 11th birthday party

• Thanks 1

Wackos indeed. Plastic straws will soon be banned in San Francisco, soft drinks will not be served to children unless accompanied by a parent who orders for them but there will be no problem to continue to get free needles.

The good people of San Francisco should start using all the discarded needles as a straw.

• Like 1

Originally posted by Rob the Cruiser Wackos indeed. Plastic straws will soon be banned in San Francisco, soft drinks will not be served to children unless accompanied by a parent who orders for them but there will be no problem to continue to get free needles.

The good people of San Francisco should start using all the discarded needles as a straw.

Randy

I really want to say something on the subjects discussed here but for once the smarter part of my brain wins - I pass and take the high road.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Every little bit helps. But I wish cruise ships could come up with an alternative to the endless plastic water bottles. I'd happily carry my own if the water onboard came from a reliable source, but it's often not that simple.

+1

I remember as a young child using paper straws not plastic and I coped with no problem.

Julie

I agree with both comments. I do bring my own water bottle, because the ship's water is filtered as well if not better than most makers' bottled water. Not only would it help that bottles wouldn't blow into the ocean, but taking them into many of these countries and dispose of them where there isn't the available landfill space to deal with that much.

I hope Oceania reads these boards and will consider this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can always take your own refillable water bottle

Most of the ship's water is made onboard

sometimes they may fill up at a port stop from municipal water sources

• Like 1

Well said. We all can and should do more about saving this wonderful planet. We should all strive to leave this place, better than when we came into it. Little things help, and the cruise lines can participate.

• Thanks 1

Free needles still offered? Whew! That's a relief! For a moment there I thought the Left Coast might be coming to their senses. Joking aside, we offer pressed paper straws upon request. They DO hold up surprisingly well. Yes, they are more costly, but if that puts you out of business, I'd say you had a few other financial issues as well. Children would still likely "chew" through the ends, though.

You need to ask for them but they are trying to not use them

I already complained onboard it is very tricky to drink a milkshake without a straw

They can get non plastic straws like we had in the old days ;)

JMO

Just use your Emotional Support Animal to lick off the Milkshake "Moustache";)

• Haha 2