Plastic straws

Acrusa

6 hours ago, DoulaAnn said:

Got off Insignia recently, and they had straws (plastic) for the milkshakes without asking.  In other areas, straws were available/given.  I'm perfectly happy drinking iced tea or diet Coke without a straw, but milkshakes are really hard to deal with without straws.

But you have to ask for them.  I was not very happy about that.  

1 hour ago, RJB said:

But you have to ask for them.  I was not very happy about that.  

Of all the things to be unhappy about I wouldn’t think this would be one of them in my book.

Is that really such a big deal to have to ask for a straw?

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Of all the things to be unhappy about I wouldn’t think this would be one of them in my book.

it  appears  some people have lost the ability  to speak  ..maybe they can put a number to tweet  the server  & ask for a straw or whatever  you need :classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Since I rarely had a need for a straw, I guess I never found myself asking for a straw.  We certainly never had to ask for one for our milkshakes.  And if I had had to ask for a straw, that would have been no different than having to ask for sweetener for my iced tea, which I had to do a few times.  Guess different things bother different people.

On 11/29/2018 at 9:15 PM, Paulchili said:

I am glad I do not have to read your book.   The OP was about straws and that is what my comment was in reference to  Up until our last cruise, about a month ago whenever we ordered a soft drink it came with a straw. A waste of time for our sever to go back and get a straw each time he brought us something.  Double work for him or her.  Maybe you should think of re writing your book.   None of this is a big deal either way.  We should have much more important things to talk about other than straws.  

14 minutes ago, RJB said:

I am glad I do not have to read your book.   The OP was about straws and that is what my comment was in reference to  Up until our last cruise, about a month ago whenever we ordered a soft drink it came with a straw. A waste of time for our sever to go back and get a straw each time he brought us something.  Double work for him or her.  Maybe you should think of re writing your book.   None of this is a big deal either way.  We should have much more important things to talk about other than straws.  

Maybe you could ask for a straw when you order, now knowing that they don't automatically bring them. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, RJB said:

I have no idea what you are talking about - I have never written a book.

You want us to believe that the thing you were unhappy about was the fact that the waiter had to make a second trip - how considerate of you. :classic_biggrin:

As to the original topic of plastic straws - I feel we should get rid of as much plastic in our lives as we can, including plastic straws, and use recyclable items in place of plastics whenever possible.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I have no idea what you are talking about - I have never written a book.

You want us to believe that the thing you were unhappy about was the fact that the waiter had to make a second trip - how considerate of you. :classic_biggrin:

As to the original topic of plastic straws - I feel we should get rid of as much plastic in our lives as we can, including plastic straws, and use recyclable items in place of plastics whenever possible.

You talk about in your book.... Maybe I should talk about in my book..... Maybe we should get back to the caveman society and not use any of all the inventions of the last 100 years as they may not be good for our lives. No cars, trucks, heating systems that use oil   etc.  We have to live in the real world and no go backwards. 

8 minutes ago, RJB said:

You talk about in your book.... Maybe I should talk about in my book..... Maybe we should get back to the caveman society and not use any of all the inventions of the last 100 years as they may not be good for our lives. No cars, trucks, heating systems that use oil   etc.  We have to live in the real world and no go backwards. 

Fortunately I know when it’s time to quit - and this is the time.

Or maybe I should write a book :classic_biggrin:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Fortunately I know when it’s time to quit - and this is the time.

Or maybe I should write a book :classic_biggrin:

Me too.  Time to quit.   Have a great holiday.   

Not such a bad idea eliminating straws. After all with a growing global population and wealth we have two options. Either cut consumption or use alternative consumption which is more sustainable. Most would opt for the second but instead like to continue on as though there is a third that is doing nothing. Eliminating straws is only the beginning. Oceania in particular has many areas to work on. The main area being the in room delivery of mail. I was astonished on the volume after returning from Marina last month. Let's see if they eliminate that as easily as straws.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, srdancer said:

Just back from Sirena on 12/10. 

No plastic straws, no straws at all.

But were plastic cups in cabin and plastic stirrers in drinks.

What  no proper glasses in the cabin??

Off Riviera last week

There were plastic glasses for bathroom — they were sturdy and reusable.

Husband (with a very thick mustache) asked for straw for smoothie & was told they didn’t have any.  I asked on another day and was told the same.  Not a big deal, but messy.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, true45 said:

Off Riviera last week

There were plastic glasses for bathroom — they were sturdy and reusable.

Husband (with a very thick mustache) asked for straw for smoothie & was told they didn’t have any.  I asked on another day and was told the same.  Not a big deal, but messy.

Yes I can understand  for the bathroom &  the plastic glasses  there  were  reusable 

No straws  for smoothies & milkshakes is ridiculous though ..may as well not bothering to offer those drinks

JMO

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Yes I can understand  for the bathroom &  the plastic glasses  there  were  reusable 

No straws  for smoothies & milkshakes is ridiculous though ..may as well not bothering to offer those drinks

JMO

4 minutes ago, shank63 said:

This subject has gone way past bedtime.  I travel with my own supply of straws, no big deal.  That’s all that needs to be said.

Why waste your time reading it and replying then?

I never fail to be amazed.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, shank63 said:

This subject has gone way past bedtime.  I travel with my own supply of straws, no big deal.  That’s all that needs to be said.

Then you’d better take them to the EU as well next time you visit there as they just passed legislature to restrict or ban single use plastics such as straws, plates, utensils, etc.

There was a time when we were way ahead of the world in forward thinking - now we lag behind in many ways (like reusable and solar energy, etc) 

SAD!

As someone who loves their smoothies, I can't imagine trying to drink one without a straw.  I have no objection to bringing my own with me -- I'm just pretty sure that I'd get on the ship and then realize I'd forgotten them.

OTOH, I hate those photos of the dead sea creatures whose stomachs are filled with plastic.  So I'll just have to remember them!

5 minutes ago, Mura said:

As someone who loves their smoothies, I can't imagine trying to drink one without a straw.  I have no objection to bringing my own with me -- I'm just pretty sure that I'd get on the ship and then realize I'd forgotten them.

OTOH, I hate those photos of the dead sea creatures whose stomachs are filled with plastic.  So I'll just have to remember them!

I guess the solution is to have reusable metal straws that can be washed much like the utensils that we use to eat.

After all, we put the forks and spoons into our mouths without hesitation - how would straws be any different?