Plastic straws

Acrusa

what happened to all you plastic huggers that where against the plastic rings for six packs of soda and beer. OH I know  that didn';t work so you found a doctored picture and are starting a new crusade. Take a break.

5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I guess the solution is to have reusable metal straws that can be washed much like the utensils that we use to eat.

After all, we put the forks and spoons into our mouths without hesitation - how would straws be any different?

I would not trust them to get the inside of metal straws clean. I'll be taking my own straws with me on my next cruise. 

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:00 PM, Hawaiidan said:

You got it right...this is a total bogus mass hysteria The picture of 1 turtle in the entire world that has a straw stuck in hos nose... ! ONE incident in the whole world. The insane, stupid reaction by everyone to embrace a 9 year olds made up disaster. that he had no data on ...just made it up. Next thing is that they want to stop cows from emitting methane.... They are writing laws NOW requiring cows to be required to fart 20% less by 2021. Just like car emissions......... The inmates are running the aslyum and the emperors new clothing line is going to be out for fall!!!!! Chicken Little told me so !

Reminds me of an old movie "king of Hearts" where the inmates take over the asylum. Jim/Stan comments

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:02 PM, RJB said:

But you have to ask for them.  I was not very happy about that.  

Say what? Oh, may I have a straw?  Oh certainly Sir, let me go get you one. What really makes you happy Sunshine?

Ok, here is what I witnessed, a few days ago, at a hamburger/pizza joint. I don’t have to have a straw for my soda in a cup.  However,  I wouldn’t blame the mother in this occurrence  if she never set foot in the place again. 

In line to order. A mother with two elementary school aged children in front of me. She orders their food and asked for straws for the children. (Big signs saying that straws are available by request.) The person taking the order asks the children’s age. Mom says why does that matter. Response: We only provide straws for guests under age 10, elderly, or those with mobility/physical disabilities. Mom says ages are 7&9. Cashier says that there will be a $1.00 per straw deposit and the money will be refunded when the straws are returned so they can be disposed of properly.  Mom asks what happens if they take the drink and straw with them. No deposit refunded as no way to know if straws will be properly recycled.

Yes, folks this is what we have come to...

Edited by Straughn

4 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I would not trust them to get the inside of metal straws clean. I'll be taking my own straws with me on my next cruise. 

Are they plastic?   Than what would be the difference?   What would you gain?  O would still have to get rid of them in the garbage unless you take the dirty ones home with you. 

15 hours ago, Paulchili said:

In principle, if not in amount, how is this different from deposit on glass bottles that people in many states have to pay?

I think a $1 deposit per straw is pushing it.

Do they charge a deposit on the plastic cups in the cabin, too?

3 hours ago, Sea42 said:

I think a $1 deposit per straw is pushing it.

I agree that $1 is a bit steep, especially for an outgoing order where returning the straw is not practical

OTOH, I suspect a 10 cent deposit would be ignored by most people.

It takes time to change peoples’ habits. I know that it took a while for people here to get used to bringing their own shopping bags to supermarkets rather than using store’s plastic bags but I see it almost universally done by 90+% of shoppers for the benefit of everyone. Even paper bags from the store, while better than plastic bags, are not so great as they don’t just magically appear from thin air. BTW, I have seen this practice in Europe many years before we even thought of it.

We tend to think that one straw or one plastic bag doesn’t make a difference but if millions of people around the world think that way then it DOES make a difference.

Edited by Paulchili

40 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I agree that $1 is a bit steep, especially for an outgoing order where returning the straw is not practical

It takes time to change peoples’ habits. I know that it took a while for people here to get used to bringing their own shopping bags to supermarkets rather than using store’s plastic bags but I see it almost universally done by 90+% of shoppers for the benefit of everyone. Even paper bags from the store, while better than plastic bags, are not so great as they don’t just magically appear from thin air. BTW, I have seen this practice in Europe many years before we even thought of it.

We tend to think that one straw or one plastic bag doesn’t make a difference but if millions of people around the world think that way then it DOES make a difference.

Charging anyone anything when already paying thousands of dollars is simply absurd and don’t think the also absurd charging for plastic bags is universal.  Haven’t and don’t plan on ever paying for a plastic bag to satisfy the idiot tree huggers. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I agree with everything you wrote but I do think the answer in this case should be paper straws. A deposit just seems a bit silly.

19 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Charging anyone anything when already paying thousands of dollars is simply absurd ...

Dave & Sea42,

I haven't and I don't think anybody else here has suggested paying or putting deposits for straws on the ship.

What has been discussed is either eliminating them or replacing them with recyclable paper or reusable metal ones.

The deposit discussion was about land based institutions.

Edited by Paulchili

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

I guess where you live is very much different than where I live.  Maybe 1 in 50 shoppers bring their own bags.   No one does it.   Not a big deal for most of us.  

50 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Charging anyone anything when already paying thousands of dollars is simply absurd and don’t think the also absurd charging for plastic bags is universal.  Haven’t and don’t plan on ever paying for a plastic bag to satisfy the idiot tree huggers. 

+  100%

1 minute ago, RJB said:

I guess where you live is very much different than where I live.  Maybe 1 in 50 shoppers bring their own bags.   No one does it.   Not a big deal for most of us.  

We get a 5 cent credit for each bag we bring at our grocery store!

I have to fund my travel habit somehow!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RJB said:

It may not be a big deal for you or most others in your area at our more advanced age but I can guarantee you that if we don’t take bettter care of our environment, the world your grandchildren and their grandchildren will live in will be very different.

Therefore, it’s up to you (and all of us) to keep that in mind if you care about their future.

JMO.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

2 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

That's a great idea. I would do it.    I just wonder if the stores would go for it.  Had a hard time with deposit bottles in the past. 

we  have  to pay for bags  if you do not bring you own

I find my cloth bags are stronger than plastic  & I can wash  them ..we usually take a basket  for  a big shop & use the cloth bags for  smaller  one

We also pay a deposit on liquor & beer bottle/cans  refundable  when you return them

Most other cans/bottle go into a recycle bin

I find a lots of hotels  have the recycle bins in the room ..it is  a good idea as long as people use them

but reading some posts here  seems like there are a few  that feel  it is not for  them  they are TOO SPECIAL

anyway  hope Oceania  finds an alternative to plastic  straws  

they do make  Eco friendly paper ones

showing my age  but growing up  we had paper straws

19 hours ago, RJB said:

Are they plastic?   Than what would be the difference?   What would you gain?  O would still have to get rid of them in the garbage unless you take the dirty ones home with you. 

I'll put them in the trash and Oceania is responsible not to dump them overboard! Surely they don't dump trash in the ocean!??

And, apparently they still use them but want a deposit??!! Crazy...I refuse to pay a deposit for a straw!